Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Discount expected on leftovers? (Read 2 times)
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Discount expected on leftovers?
03/19/07 at 12:27:44

THe local Suzi dealer has a leftover 2006 S40 which is still marked at the full msrp of 4300 + t and t

I suspect that as it thaws out up here, they may be willing to deal a little to make room for the 07 stock.

What sort of offer would be reasonable to make w/o being insulting to the dealer.

My initial thought would be to offer 4200 out the door (including tax and prep and registration)

Too high of an offer on my part, of too low so as to be insulting to the dealer?

Any one with experience at purchasing leftover bikes?  How desperate are they to get rid of them?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Discount expected on leftovers?
Reply #1 - 03/19/07 at 13:07:20

Don't ever worry about insulting a dealer, because if you buy from them, they will insult you when you buy parts or get it serviced.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/19/07 at 13:12:08

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Don't ever worry about insulting a dealer, because if you buy from them, they will insult you when you buy parts or get it serviced.

That should be the quote of the day.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/19/07 at 14:27:38

I like it...

Offer him $4K.  Who cares?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 03/19/07 at 14:54:01

For an '06 S40 Kelly Blue Book list the average retail at $3500 and the Nada Guide list it at $3790 - I know it's new but the very second you leave the lot it isn't.  if space aliens steal it that night that's all it was worth.
Point this out perhaps to Mr Dealer.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 03/19/07 at 16:58:36

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
For an '06 S40 Kelly Blue Book list the average retail at $3500 and the Nada Guide list it at $3790 - I know it's new but the very second you leave the lot it isn't.  if space aliens steal it that night that's all it was worth.
Point this out perhaps to Mr Dealer.

Absolutely, when buying an outdated model you get a discount, period.    Tell him you will give him the benefit and go with the higher number, and start writing out a check for $3790 ... then pause a moment and say you forgot the taxes for it and what is the total with the sales tax added in.  Then write another check for that amount and hand it to him.  If he hands it back to you and wants more $$ then thank him for his time and get up to leave.  If he does not stop you and accept the offer then go out the door and go to another dealer.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #6 - 03/19/07 at 17:01:03

If I could put a marquee (flashing lights) around this I would. Did that come from the gut?
They know what that bike is costing them to sit there. Mom and Pop shops maybe a little kinder but never worry about insulting them. They do it everyday; for a living.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/19/07 at 19:31:15

The last new bike I purchased was a 1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex.  A 200cc street legal Trials bike.  It had just come out and the very first one in Gardena was sitting on the floor at Gardena Honda.  Told the salesman I'd wait a few months and get it $200 under MSRP, cash.   I picked it up the next day after I got the cash from the bank.

Offer the guy "$4000 out the door, today, or $3900 OTD in two weeks."

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/19/07 at 19:49:33

I go along with Lancer's idea, but having the same amount of cash in hand can sometimes work even better than writing a check - it is not as though you are carrying around the contents of fort knox so don't be worried about carrying that much on you. the sight of the green can melt anyone's resolve - you can always then produce your check book & say - oh yeah, I forgot to include the tax - then write that out in the form of a check.

don't be afraid to start to walk out - I did it once when they would not agree to my price & got alomst literally dragged back in to pay what I wanted.

also - don't worry aobut insulting the dealer - they are insulting you by expecting you to buy what is in effect a year old model taking up their sales floor & tying up their capital.

hope it works out for you  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/07 at 01:30:22

What are ya gonna dewww? Make him so mad he won't sell it to ya?
I have to admit, I have the same instincts.I don't like to insult people. Oddly, it seems I still manage to do it tho. I have overpaid because of it, too. I am finally getting a grip on this stuff. This forum is good for more than wrenching & chatting.

I really like some of the advice in this thread. I hink having cash is good, just don't let the guy see more than you are willing to pay.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #10 - 03/20/07 at 03:23:07

Look around man, you will find a good one.
luckyeddy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
THe local Suzi dealer has a leftover 2006 S40 which is still marked at the full msrp of 4300 + t and t

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/20/07 at 03:38:40

Thank you for the advice, this has strengthned my resolve to get a good deal on one of these bikes be it this one or a used one.  I just have to get rid of my old bike, which should be easy now that spring is coming.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 03/20/07 at 07:00:31

A tip on using cash, don't have the entire bundle in one pocket, maybe 3500 as a lump and a couple of hundred scattered around in different pockets. That way you can pull out the 3500 lump and pretend to dig up the rest while making a big deal about it. Another thing to advoid is letting the dealer finance the purchase even for a short time, that's where they make the money bigtime.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/20/07 at 07:20:42

Our local Mom & Pop store had a new one on their web page with a price I was willing to pay but when I went in the salesman quoted me a higher price. Really ticked me off so I thanked him & walked. He called Dondi to find out why I bought from someone else & when she told them, they couldn't understand why I was upset?
They kept the bike for another 6 months before they sold it at a lot lower price.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 03/20/07 at 12:40:31

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Another thing to advoid is letting the dealer finance the purchase even for a short time, that's where they make the money bigtime.

Ed,  Why do you say/type this?  At least in CO, it is illegal to have an early payment penalty on a loan... so... if you get a loan that doesn't start accruing interest over the first month, and pay it off in that first month... I don't see a problem (besides other minor hassles, e.g. title).  I agree that the dealerships make more $$$ on financing... but if that's the case, they should be willing to go lower on the OTD price than if you walk in there cash/check in hand/pocket(s)... right? at least, that's what it seems to me...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:32:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Discount expected on leftovers?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.