Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what did I do? (right!) (Read 2 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

what did I do? (right!)
03/18/07 at 17:00:11

so, I've had this annoying backfire since I put on slash cut & changed jets. started to think it might be an exhaust leak. checked & re torqued one of bolts where header goes into head & tightened down the muffler clamps (well, one of them).

still pop & bang.

so sceptic that I am thought I'd try Lancer's simple carb tune (how can anything so simple cure a backfire, I thought).

I did the first part & turned the screw in until engine started to slow down, counting turns in. then went back to where it was originally & started to turn it out. did not seem to matter after a turn or two - did not seem to speed up & then slow down.

so  what the heck - I twisted the throttle & let it go.

no backfire! repeated twisting throttle & letting it go - still no backfire!

put on coat, helmet & gloves (today is maybe a record here - in the mid 70s but I still dress for the job) & went for ride around town, stopping & starting @ lights (still no backfire & seemed to pull strongly) & went to see Lon (Thumperclone) to tell him news (he was not in but know he'll read this!)

so gosh knows what I did - like I said did not follow Lancer's instructions through to conclussion but arrived at same result.

so much for mechanic @ local shop who said after I asked his advice "Once you mess around with aftermarket mufflers it can screw up the bike for smooth running for good."

thanks to Lancer for putting me on right track & person who posted the instructions on the site.

me - a happy camper (doubly so - Ferrari won the first race of the Formula 1 season - my wife & I are fanatics!)  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: what did I do? (right!)
Reply #1 - 03/18/07 at 20:00:50

I am happy it worked out for you.
As for the mechanic that says a muffler can screw up a bike for good ... uh?  I really hope a professionally trained mech would not be saying something like that.
I really hate to say this, but that is just stupid.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/18/07 at 21:01:55

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I am happy it worked out for you.
As for the mechanic that says a muffler can screw up a bike for good ... uh?  I really hope a professionally trained mech would not be saying something like that.
I really hate to say this, but that is just stupid.

I was "chomping at the bit" to say it, but you beat me to it.  What an idiot, and they get premium labor rates to pass out such crap too.

You are right on.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/18/07 at 21:11:52

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
so, I've had this annoying backfire since I put on slash cut & changed jets. started to think it might be an exhaust leak. checked & re torqued one of bolts where header goes into head & tightened down the muffler clamps (well, one of them).

still pop & bang.

so sceptic that I am thought I'd try Lancer's simple carb tune (how can anything so simple cure a backfire, I thought).

I did the first part & turned the screw in until engine started to slow down, counting turns in. then went back to where it was originally & started to turn it out. did not seem to matter after a turn or two - did not seem to speed up & then slow down.

so  what the heck - I twisted the throttle & let it go.

no backfire! repeated twisting throttle & letting it go - still no backfire!

put on coat, helmet & gloves (today is maybe a record here - in the mid 70s but I still dress for the job) & went for ride around town, stopping & starting @ lights (still no backfire & seemed to pull strongly) & went to see Lon (Thumperclone) to tell him news (he was not in but know he'll read this!)

so gosh knows what I did - like I said did not follow Lancer's instructions through to conclussion but arrived at same result.

so much for mechanic @ local shop who said after I asked his advice "Once you mess around with aftermarket mufflers it can screw up the bike for smooth running for good."

thanks to Lancer for putting me on right track & person who posted the instructions on the site.

me - a happy camper (doubly so - Ferrari won the first race of the Formula 1 season - my wife & I are fanatics!)  Grin

Of course, when you make a few changes and then do a test ride, you might not be exactly certain what fixed what.  You could have had backfires for a couple different reasons...loose header bolts is one of them...idle mixture could be another.

The good part is that you fixed the loose header bolt, adjusted the idle screw, and then best of all had a good ride when it was all done.  It's a good feeling.

Makes you a whole lot better than that shop mechanic that couldn't fix it for you.  Doesn't it?

Good job, George.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/18/07 at 21:47:43

wasn't the header bolt or tightening the muffler clamp, Greg - I did them a week ago & it still banged. no it was definately just unscrewing out the idle mixture. still seems weird that was all it was - makes me want to kick myself for not working with it ages ago. as I said, did not find Lancer's mid spot, just unscrewed it about 2 turns & twisted grip. another unseasonably hot one tomorrow - can't wait to go out on bike again  for longer twisty ride!

(by the by Greg - mechanic did not try to fix it - just gave me "advice" when he said I might be stuck with misfire)

I am over the moon! (makes me more confident about tackling plug leak when worse weather kicks in next winter)

thanks for your words of support, Lancer & Greg!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 03/18/07 at 22:25:50

Your experience fixing the backfiring was not unlike mine. Except I welded my header to muffler joint to eliminate that possibility. But from there, since my old '87 already had the larger jets in it, I only had to find the right balance between backing out the idle mix screw, and adjusting the idle speed to suit my Dyna muffler; then 95% of the backfiring was eliminated. I only get a rare few pops anymore, and frankly I don't mind it at a reasonable volume. 8)

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/20/07 at 12:15:25

It's good that it worked out for you.
In my state, the proffesional mechanics are prohibited from doing this by an environmental law.
If they get caught doing anything that changes the exhaust emissions, it is a 5,000 dollar fine.
I have not yet heard of anyone being charged with this offense but just the threat of it deters most mechanics from trying to richen up a carb to get it to run better.
I don't know how many motorcycles would have to richen their carbs to pollute as much as one black cloud producing public bus, but I notice a lot of busses fogging up the air we breathe without anyone doing anything to correct it.
It must have something to do with who can afford to rent the most public officials.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 17:50:04

Don't Get Me Started!!!!
I must come across as an "evil twin" or "Joe Six Pack" ready to go Postal. But our local government is just shoving policy down our throats and expect top dollar in payment for being criminals. I see no relief in site.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 03/21/07 at 15:01:55

Phelonius wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
It's good that it worked out for you.
In my state, the proffesional mechanics are prohibited from doing this by an environmental law.
If they get caught doing anything that changes the exhaust emissions, it is a 5,000 dollar fine.
I have not yet heard of anyone being charged with this offense but just the threat of it deters most mechanics from trying to richen up a carb to get it to run better.
I don't know how many motorcycles would have to richen their carbs to pollute as much as one black cloud producing public bus, but I notice a lot of busses fogging up the air we breathe without anyone doing anything to correct it.
It must have something to do with who can afford to rent the most public officials.

Phelonius

For benefit of those who may not have seen it; as I posted on another thread:

It is against Federal law for individuals as well as pro mechanics to tinker with that screw. The civil penalty for an individual is up to $2500 per occurrence! A dealer or shop can be fined $25K per !!!  OUCH !!!   Shocked

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf

Shhh....

Wink

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/21/07 at 16:20:16

i didnt open the epa site.. i think theres an epa reg for the pipe also..ill take my chances..
the shop geo is talkin about is an accessory type shop,not brand specific think last time george and i dicussed them they were 5 or so $ hr cheaper(less expensive)than the local suzukiship..i havent seen a mech at motorcycle accessories older than my levi jacket..at the suzukiship theres at least one with 20+ years experience.

noticed in our clime/elevation a.m. cool drive affects back fire differently than p.m. warm drive.after using lancers tips (with tach) any wram weather backfires are controlled by not snaping the throtle closed, i like to coast up to a traffic stop when i can..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 03/21/07 at 17:26:51

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
i didnt open the epa site.. i think theres an epa reg for the pipe also..ill take my chances..
the shop geo is talkin about is an accessory type shop,not brand specific think last time george and i dicussed them they were 5 or so $ hr cheaper(less expensive)than the local suzukiship..i havent seen a mech at motorcycle accessories older than my levi jacket..at the suzukiship theres at least one with 20+ years experience.

noticed in our clime/elevation a.m. cool drive affects back fire differently than p.m. warm drive.after using lancers tips (with tach) any wram weather backfires are controlled by not snaping the throtle closed, i like to coast up to a traffic stop when i can..

No doubt about it, with the stock carb even the best setting you can get is going to be susceptible to even very slight clime/elevation changes. I think I've tinkered with mine till it won't get better at any one setting; and like you, I feather the throttle at times to aviod excessive popping. Sometimes I just let it pop, and wish my pipe was louder!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what did I do? (right!)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.