Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Chain coversion for the Savage/S40 (Read 7589 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Chain coversion for the Savage/S40
Reply #30 - 07/14/14 at 05:20:38

Built2Last wrote on 04/29/13 at 11:50:39:
PMo85 wrote on 04/29/13 at 10:45:13:
Hello all.

I know this is an old post however, it is the most informative one on the matter that I can find & I was hoping that someone out there could help me out

I recently purchased a 2013 S40 and love the heck out of it! The only draw back is top end

Can anyone out there let me know if this information will still apply to a 2013 since I am unable to find any information on the 2013's?

If you use this chart, then yes you can increase top end speed at the cost of torque

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Vroom-RPM-5th.jpg

No....You will not increase your top speed.  As geared the Savage will run out of Horsepower before you reach the Redline in high gear.

What you will do is reduce the rpm's that the engine is turning during normal roadway speeds.  When cruising along at 60 or 70 mph in top gear - you will be able to reduce the engine rpm's and make the bike a lot more "relaxed" at highway speeds.  If you are in high gear and roll on the throttle.....somewhere around 80 the bike will just run out of power and stop accelerating, and by shifting down a gear you might be able to go faster as the bike will be making more HP at higher engine speeds.

My bike is a 2007 5 speed version, and I have geared it pretty high and I have an 18" rear wheel.  In 5th gear I am turning about 3,400 rpm at 60 and about 4,000 at 70, and the bike is really nice on the interstate.  The bike will top out about 85  or so in 5th gear, and if I want to go faster I need to downshift to 4th.  I have lots of engine mods and if I want to get up to 100, it can only be done in 4th as I need the higher rpm's to develop the needed horsepower.......5th gear has become an overdrive or cruising gear, and can only be used at speeds above 60 mph.

Most reports I could find on the life of a chain is about 20,000 miles.  Sprockets might last through a second chain if you turn the sprockets around to wear on the other side of the tooth...depends a bit on the hardness of the sprocket, aluminum/steel, and how dirty the conditions where you ride.  Sprockets and chains can be messy, and do require adjustments, cleaning and oiling.

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #31 - 07/14/14 at 19:06:13

Never thought about flipping the sprocket around.  Great Idea!  Thanks Dave!

BTW, what ratio are you running Dave?  Is it very "friendly" in the lower gears or do you have to feather the clutch more?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 07/15/14 at 07:59:35

The stock front pulley is 23 tooth, and the rear stock pulley is 68 tooth.  This ratio is 2.9565.

The Kawasaki front pulley is 25 tooth, the Kawasaki rear pulley is 65 tooth.  This ratio is 2.60.

With the 2.60 ratio first gear is very tall, and you do need to feather the clutch more to get going.  It also needs to be feathered a bit more in parking lots when you want to go slow, at idle it goes over 10 mph in first gear.

Dave

« Last Edit: 01/08/15 at 04:27:00 by Dave »  

IP Logged
RobSutt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tustin, CA
Reply #33 - 01/08/15 at 01:11:19

Love this thread.

Is there a chart that shows the top speed of each gear with the different ratios?  I'm particularly interested in where 1st and 2nd hit red line in the 3+ ratios.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 01/13/15 at 05:13:11

You can use "Gearing Commander" to do your own research.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

IP Logged
jordan650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/12/15 at 06:40:10

I don't know if anyone has addressed this but what would be the specification on the chain tension? would it be the same as the spec for the belt?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #36 - 03/12/15 at 09:15:30

I have mine fairly tight and I get a full swing of the swingarm without binding. I can take a measurement tonight, but my gut feeling is that it's just 0.75 to 1.00 inches.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #37 - 03/16/15 at 07:49:29

My gut feeling was correct. I measured the free play at 1.00 inch.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #38 - 08/20/15 at 06:04:18

Sorry to have to drag this one out of cold storage, but can't seem to find anything but scattered references.

I usually give some beans when I'm out on my own and would like to stretch the gears just a bit with a 17/45 or 17/43 ratio. But how well would the bike, with an open intake and exhaust tuned to match, handle said ratios with a passenger?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 08/20/15 at 08:03:56

FerousBastard wrote on 08/20/15 at 06:04:18:
Sorry to have to drag this one out of cold storage, but can't seem to find anything but scattered references.

I usually give some beans when I'm out on my own and would like to stretch the gears just a bit with a 17/45 or 17/43 ratio. But how well would the bike, with an open intake and exhaust tuned to match, handle said ratios with a passenger?

A stock engine bike with these higher gear ratios is going to be sluggish.  If you have the 5 speed, you most likely will be traveling in 4th gear a lot with a passenger or on hills.  That is not all that much of a problem, as 4th gear with the new sprockets will likely be similar to the stock gearing in 5th.  With my higher gearing I don't really shift into 5th gear until I am over 60 mph, and most of my back road riding is in 3rd or 4th gear.

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #40 - 08/20/15 at 11:34:34

Dave wrote on 08/20/15 at 08:03:56:
A stock engine bike with these higher gear ratios is going to be sluggish.  If you have the 5 speed, you most likely will be traveling in 4th gear a lot with a passenger or on hills.  That is not all that much of a problem, as 4th gear with the new sprockets will likely be similar to the stock gearing in 5th.  With my higher gearing I don't really shift into 5th gear until I am over 60 mph, and most of my back road riding is in 3rd or 4th gear.

Sounds great. But with stock engine, do you mean bone stock (intake snorkel, filter, exhaust and muffler and all) or an engine with upgraded intake and exhaust but stock internals (cam, bore and compression)?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 08/20/15 at 12:39:02

A muffler and an air cleaner isn't going to make much of a difference in power - but it does make a small improvement.

You are proposing to change the gear by 13%.......and by doing so you accomplish a couple of things.  The engine has 13% less mechanical advantage in trying to move the bike (less leverage), and you have dropped the engine down 13% on the HP and torque curves (less power).  Those may sound like the same thing - but they are different and the cumulative change will most certainly be noticeable.

MMRanch had the Kawasaki double pulley set up on his bike (2.60 ratio) and his bike is basically stock but has a better flowing muffler, and he took it off and went with the single front Kawasaki pulley (2.72 ratio) as the bike was just not peppy enough anymore with both pulleys changed.

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #42 - 08/20/15 at 13:03:57

Dave wrote on 08/20/15 at 12:39:02:
A muffler and an air cleaner isn't going to make much of a difference in power - but it does make a small improvement.

You are proposing to change the gear by 13%.......and by doing so you accomplish a couple of things.  The engine has 13% less mechanical advantage in trying to move the bike (less leverage), and you have dropped the engine down 13% on the HP and torque curves (less power).  Those may sound like the same thing - but they are different and the cumulative change will most certainly be noticeable.

MMRanch had the Kawasaki double pulley set up on his bike (2.60 ratio) and his bike is basically stock but has a better flowing muffler, and he took it off and went with the single front Kawasaki pulley (2.72 ratio) as the bike was just not peppy enough anymore with both pulleys changed.

So in order to offset the 13% drop in ratio multiplied hp and torque, you really need to up the engines performance by 13% over stock just to break even. Sounds like a bit more than just your average K&N and muff job, but it's really good to know, so you know what to expect performance wise after converting.

IP Logged
Ultimafuego

Just window shoping
with a brick.

Rome, GA
Reply #43 - 09/23/15 at 14:44:05

My '06 has UNI foam filter, Harley muffler, and jetting to 155/55 with white spacer mod.  But no real modifications. I run a 17/43 chain conversion and love it.  Rides a lot like Dave says though, 5th not being there for you really. Always cruising around in 3rd and 4rth, but it is worth it for the lower cruising RPMs and lower vibration. I am contemplating the cast wheel conversion to a 17" rear, at which point i may drop my front sprocket to a 16 or even a 15.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #44 - 09/23/15 at 20:10:53

This may have been answered before...

Can you run the stock belt guard with a chain conversion?  If so, is there a certain ratio which wouldn't allow the use of the belt guard (due to sprocket dimensions and chain clearance)?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:07:04

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Chain coversion for the Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.