Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Chain coversion for the Savage/S40 (Read 7589 times)
bdub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Mexico
Re: Chain coversion for the Savage/S40
Reply #15 - 03/08/11 at 17:23:20

17/43 is really the ideal setup for this application.  Why?  You may ask...because prime numbers of teeth on the primary and secondary sprockets ensure maximum wear on the chain and sprockets regardless of the number of links on the chain.   Wink  What!?!  You mean math acutally applies here?!?  Yes!  It does.  Thanks Hutch!

IP Logged
creekhound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aurora,Indiana
Reply #16 - 03/30/11 at 19:47:55

This sounds like somthing i would like to do but is there anything that can be done to make speedo and milage right?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 03/31/11 at 05:10:40

There is a mod to change the face of the speedo (lots of tinkering to take it apart, etc) or you can do like most of us and jest handle bar mount a small discrete bicycle speedo that runs off a magnet on the front wheel.

Digital bike speedo that you don't have to look down for is better in my eyes -- large numbers are easy to read and its right there when you need to look at it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #18 - 02/28/12 at 19:15:14

Man im running a 13/49 on mine. It pulls off the line like a drag bike but is not fuel friendly on the interstate. Dry pavement I can spin the tire through 1st and 2 second before she hooks up. But im also running a #155 jet in the carb..... Im maybe getting 50 mpg.... Probably less. And ive only got a 2 gallon tank hahaha.

01 savage, voodoo vintage short chop frame, lowered forks, chain conversion, re-jetted, total badass attittude, Straight pipe, alien gas tank.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/24/12 at 12:51:41

I just got parts to do my chain conversion about 2 months ago, and the old part numbers got me where I needed to go...
I just looked everything on Ebay, don't have the exact info at hand, but it's pretty straightforward. Hardest part was deciding on my ratios...

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/26/12 at 15:58:29

I'm curious as to the variations with different sized sprockets. Sure, there's a fancy graph with some numbers but I want real world data. Like being able to spin the tire in 2nd (as posted above) would probably be a hair too aggressive for me.
Staying highway friendly is a concern for me as well.
I'd be interested to hear first hand how the 17/45 performs.

--Steve

IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/27/12 at 07:04:27

i picked up a 13 and a 17 with a 45 in the rear.
i found the 17 to be gutless, but good on the highway, just takes forever to get to that sweet spot.
and the 13 is viscous around town on stop and go riding ,but it feels like im gonna blow up if i get up to 120km/h.
im thinking about grabbing a 15 just to experiment, i think that would be the one i want if i was going to go on a long trip. but i live in cape breton and everythings close, and we have the cabot trail which is all windy mountain roads so the 13 is spot on or that.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #22 - 09/11/12 at 15:16:34

I heard mention of a bar mounted speedo that works off a magnet on the front wheel. Any links to something like this that is proven to work? Is it digital or analog?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 09/11/12 at 15:23:42

Sigma bike units work the best.   They can keep up with your bike's speed accurately up to 130 mph, many of the other bike units get very fuzzy when you go past 40 mph.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #24 - 09/11/12 at 15:36:39

Thanks OldFeller. Not a big fan of the digital look. I ordered a new speedo cable for my bike(mine is lost somewhere) but got the wrong one. Guess I'll just send it back, get the right one, and then modify my existing speedo to be correct. I'm not a big fan of my mileage being off all the time though. Oh well.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #25 - 04/29/13 at 10:45:13

Hello all.

I know this is an old post however, it is the most informative one on the matter that I can find & I was hoping that someone out there could help me out

I recently purchased a 2013 S40 and love the heck out of it! The only draw back is top end

Can anyone out there let me know if this information will still apply to a 2013 since I am unable to find any information on the 2013's?

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #26 - 04/29/13 at 11:50:39

PMo85 wrote on 04/29/13 at 10:45:13:
Hello all.

I know this is an old post however, it is the most informative one on the matter that I can find & I was hoping that someone out there could help me out

I recently purchased a 2013 S40 and love the heck out of it! The only draw back is top end

Can anyone out there let me know if this information will still apply to a 2013 since I am unable to find any information on the 2013's?

If you use this chart, then yes you can increase top end speed at the cost of torque

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #27 - 04/29/13 at 14:31:48

PMo85 wrote on 04/29/13 at 10:45:13:
Hello all.

Even with re-gearing your not really gonna see any better top end speed. you need to not only re-gear but also build your engine up some because it simply doesn't have the power to get there even in stock gearing.  You can't even hit red line in top gear in stock form right now.  So to answer your question,  you need to build power first and then re-gear to get the top end you want.  If your looking at hitting a 100 or better, you need to look at a different bike.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 07/13/14 at 13:21:35

I've been thinking about swapping to chain drive lately but started wondering...  How long can I go on chain and sprockets (roughly) if I'm not too hard on them with the throttle?  1000 miles?  5000 miles?  I don't want to have to replace them once a year.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/13/14 at 18:00:32

Kris01 wrote on 07/13/14 at 13:21:35:
I've been thinking about swapping to chain drive lately but started wondering...  How long can I go on chain and sprockets (roughly) if I'm not too hard on them with the throttle?  1000 miles?  5000 miles?  I don't want to have to replace them once a year.

Like this man, I am also curious about mileage before replacement as well as any maintenance tools that may need to be carried in order to tighten up the chain on longer trips...There seems to be a whole host of new information that would be needed in order to understand both the short and long term effects of this conversion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:47:37

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Chain coversion for the Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.