Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork oil toil (Read 1 times)
STLBrown
Ex Member

Fork oil toil
03/16/07 at 10:02:06

I remember a post where someone changed the oil in their forks to a heavier weight without having to drop them but I can't seem to find it.  They used a sucker with a bulb at the end or something to take out the old oil and put in the new.  And then how is this done, exactly.  I'll take my answer off the air, thanks.

Chris

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re:  Fork oil toil
Reply #1 - 03/16/07 at 16:44:33

I'm not seeing a lot of response & I am certainly no authority, but I would get some way skinny tubing & a Biggo syringe. Feed stores may have big ones. If you go to a pharmacy for one at least they won't accuse you of using drugs. We usually have to show the pharmacist our magnesium/b-12 bottle to get more needles & stuff.

Anyway, if you pop the caps off both sides at the same time the front will fall & oil will go everywhere. I'm sure you know that, just making sure. I think I read that pulling the spring makes it a lot easier. Seems reasonable. If you use a syringe you can measure what comes out pretty easy. Since it's a sure bet yopu won't get it all out, if you install the amount required to load a set of dry forks, it would be  easy to wind up with too much oil in them.

This is all just me guessing. I hope someone tells you what you need to know for sure.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/16/07 at 17:02:46

If you go to Lowes or Home Depot you can get a simple pump made for kerosene heaters etc that cost about $10, and you will need an extension to make it long enough to go to the bottom.  I used a piece of clear plastic tubing that cost about $1.  Pump it out and flush, pump and flush, till you feel it is clean enough then fill to proper level.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/16/07 at 17:23:38

I saw a basting syringe over at a local supermarket. Think it held 60cc's and had a good sized tube as a tip, with that and some tubing you would be all set. I wonder if Wally World has something simular, next time I'm over there I'll take a look.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 03/16/07 at 18:23:25

What weight is recommended for a change?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 03/17/07 at 04:03:35

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
What weight is recommended for a change?

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 03/17/07 at 04:12:19

I take it 10 is stock?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/17/07 at 11:50:11

Flush = dumping some of the fluid that will be used to refill the tube & sucking it out & tossing it? In chemistry they taught us to rinse 3 times, & nothing would be left. The idea was 99% is removed with each flush. Remove 99% 3 times & there ain't hoot left.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:40:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork oil toil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.