Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kuryakyn Grip install on throttle side. (Read 16 times)
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Kuryakyn Grip install on throttle side.
03/15/07 at 22:01:10

So it looks like the Kuryakyn Grip on the throttle side doesnt fit in from the get-go.  Do I need to sand down all the ridges on the plastic part to get this thing to go on or am I missing something.

-B

WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Kuryakyn Grip install on throttle side.
Reply #1 - 03/15/07 at 22:38:28

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:04:45 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 03/16/07 at 03:18:40

tank_you_jeebus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So it looks like the Kuryakyn Grip on the throttle side doesnt fit in from the get-go.  Do I need to sand down all the ridges on the plastic part to get this thing to go on or am I missing something.

-B

Correct, you have to sand down the ridges untill the grip fits tight.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/16/07 at 05:12:55

tank_you_jeebus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

-B

Also, when you use the adhesive supplied with the grip, BE SURE to slide the grip on rapidly and accurately to the position that you want.  Because, once you stop moving the grip, it is going to stay there.  That's some good glue!

The new Kuryakyn grips are worth it though.

IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #4 - 03/16/07 at 08:42:08

Yeah I got the 6240 grips, They almost fit so I'll do some minor sanding and then slip ito on.  

What is sideplay?

WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/16/07 at 10:49:37

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:04:35 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #6 - 03/16/07 at 12:22:43

Thanks, almost done with my pet project, just need to do the breaks and then clean her up.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/16/07 at 12:34:56

I found that taking a file to the ridges on the throttle grip sufficiently allowed the 6240's to slide on.  But Greg is spot on about that glue.  Get her where you want her on the first shot because there won't be a second one (don't ask me how I know)!  Grin

I did get a little off on the throttle grip and the glue set up before I had it where I wanted it.  Mostly it was because I probably could've filed a bit more off the sleeve but I wanted a tight fit.  That tight fit cost me exact placement come gluing time.  

However, what I did that worked just well enough was to take a hair dryer and heat the crap out of that grip and the glue softened just enough to get the grip in its final place.

One thing you do have to watch for more so on the throttle side is if you don't get that sleeve filed enough, the tight fit will cause the rubber inserts on the Kury grips to come loose and curl up on you.  That presents yet another hurdle when that glue is set up as well.

But, looks like I'll get to do the grip thing all over again as the Savage is going bye-bye in the next week or so.  If all goes well, I'll have a Honda VTX 1300 in the driveway hopefully the week after next when I get a chance to get to the dealer!  8)

I love my Savage dearly, but that pillion just doesn't suit any two up riding unless your passenger is the size of a kid.  So, Momma wants something she can sit on and I want something where I don't sit on the tank when I have a passenger.   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/16/07 at 14:25:32

It's good to know that heat can soften the glue a bit.  I didn't try that and all but destroyed a set getting them off when I changed to the old 87 stock flat handlebars.  When I went to the set of 36" drag bars, I did destroy the throttle grip getting it off.  I had to buy a new set.  I am glad I love these bars as much as I do because I wouldn't want to have to buy another set anytime soon.  That glue is some serious stuff.  Someone (W.D., I think) suggested using hairspray instead of the glue because it held well but could be broken free more easily later.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/16/07 at 15:07:23

It didn't soften it much, Rob, and it took a helluva lot of heating to get it to soften the amount that it did.  Just thought I oughta clarify that its not a total miracle, but it worked in my case just enough which was all I needed.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/17/07 at 06:19:09

The one thing that I personally don't need too often....Once again a hair dryer comes in handy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 21:38:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kuryakyn Grip install on throttle side.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.