Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb trouble, I think! (Read 3 times)
oneasterisk903
Ex Member

Re: Carb trouble, I think!
Reply #15 - 03/15/07 at 15:19:32

Sorry forgot to add.  I did ride the bike for about a mile out and back.  I didn't want to get stranded to far from the house.

P.S.  Thank you all for the replies and help thus far.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #16 - 03/15/07 at 16:46:07

Max agress with Lancer and hinks maybe you should run some more Sea Foam through (correct amount only please) and see if it will loosen up some of the possible dried fuel residue in the jets and passage ways. I ran the suggested amount through last spring and raised my fuel range by 10 miles 100 -110 before switching to reserve. I'm not usually a chemical technicain (I'm not convinced those tablets you put down the spark plug hole to fix worn out rings can do what they claim) , but in the case of Sea Foam it worked great for me and I recommend it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 03/15/07 at 21:07:24

oneasterisk903 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I did check both vent tubes and they are clear.  I did not take the "Vacuum Pod" apart on the top of the carb.  I do have a mechanical background, I just am not versed in motorcycles.  Don't know if it makes any difference, but prior to putting the bike up, the float had stuck and caused fuel to leak from the vent tube.  I fixed the stuck float.  I was able to ride the bike after that and it seemed fine.  As far as how long it ran when I fisrt fired it up this year, I let it idle for approx. 5 minutes before trying to ride it.  The bike started right up and idled good after jump starting it.  Can't really think of anything else, other than the airfilter is new and I can't find any vacuum leaks.  Hope the additional information helps you all to help me.  Really don't want the "Stealer" to make a profit off me.

Still kinda cool where you are isn't it?  One thing we tend to think about is our "high tech" autos which never need any warm up and such...these bikes need choke in cold weather.  They can sit and get warm but once the air is blowing by they get cold again.

You ran it about 5 minutes, but you really can't find any trouble.  There might not be any.  

I suggest that you really warm the bike up.  Take it out around the block or two and at least get the crankcase too hot to touch by hand...which takes longer than a few minutes.  If you don't feel really secure on a long trip, just ride it around the neighborhood until it is really hot.  "Ride it like you stole it", if you can.  At least get that carb flushed out real good.

Then go home and look at it again.  You might just have a case of cabin fever....Smiley

IP Logged
oneasterisk903
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/16/07 at 06:29:02

Actually the weather has been warm for this time of year.  The day I pulled the bike out, it was 71 degrees.  I did ride the bike for about a mile out and back, after it sat idling for about five minutes, should have been plenty warm.  I rode it again yesterday, plenty of warm up time, and it still falls flat on it's face then will "catch" up.  Is there something with the "Vacuum Pod" on top of the carb.?  I assume it is what works the slide.  I think my next plan of attack will be to pull the carb, disassemble and thoroughly clean it and try again.  

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and advice.  I am positive there is a problem and not just a case of "cabin fever."

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 03/16/07 at 06:44:14

Some folks think that pulling the carb and breaking it down is a lot of work, but when I start having trouble with one and it is not responding to normal adjustments I find I spend MORE time playing with the thing than if I had taken it off and gone through the whole carb piece by piece.  Most of time I find the cause when I do that, and if not then I at least know what it CANNOT be.  
You can eliminate stuck slide, clogged pass., float level & function, diaphragm damage/function, needle damage, gunk in general, etc.  
Even if you take your time it can be done in an easy hour.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 03/16/07 at 14:30:28

Actually the weather has been warm for this time of year.  The day I pulled the bike out, it was 71 degrees.  I did ride the bike for about a mile out and back, after it sat idling for about five minutes, should have been plenty warm.  I rode it again yesterday, plenty of warm up time, and it still falls flat on it's face then will "catch" up.  Is there something with the "Vacuum Pod" on top of the carb.?  I assume it is what works the slide.  I think my next plan of attack will be to pull the carb, disassemble and thoroughly clean it and try again.  

I really do appreciate all the suggestions and advice.  I am positive there is a problem and not just a case of "cabin fever."

So it is warm and you don't have cabin fever.  Two good things.

"Falls flat on its face"...it must be drunk Tongue

You do turn off the choke after it gets warm, right?  (don't blame me, you said you were a newbie and I've known other newbies that forgot)

IP Logged
oneasterisk903
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/16/07 at 19:38:33

Yep, turned the choke off.  Newbie to suzuki savage dot com and trying to fix motorcycles, but not to motorcycle riding.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 03/17/07 at 05:42:18

Yep, turned the choke off.  Newbie to suzuki savage dot com and trying to fix motorcycles, but not to motorcycle riding.  

Well, it's Saturday morning.  Time to fix it...Tongue

Okay, back to basics.  Last year it ran fine, you added Seafoam, and this year it runs bad.  Everything else looks fine and normal.  So, what changed?  You added Seafoam.  Did you use the correct ratio of mix?

Personally, I never use Stabil or Seafoam or anything.  I always drain the tank and the carb and start fresh in the spring.  This has never let me down, while others prefer additives.

How about just draining the tank and carb, and add fresh gas?  (Someone mentioned it above.)  Dump the old gas in your cage, and start over.

If that doesn't work, I guess it's time to pull the carb again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:40:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb trouble, I think!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.