Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Simplified/Chopper Wiring Diagram (Read 1298 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Simplified/Chopper Wiring Diagram
03/14/07 at 11:58:25

Hey all!

I just succesfully rewired my 1997savage.  As such, I thought I would post the wiring diagram I used.  However, I would like to point out that there are 2 different types of rectifiers.  Older bikes, maybe up to 1995 (??? I'm not sure when they changed) have rectifiers with 6 leads, and newer ones (at least 1997) have 5 wires only.  The difference is that the 6th wire in the old style rectifiers is internally shorted to the red wire in the newer ones.  The service manual wiring diagrams, both the Suzuki and the Clymer, as of 2002, show the rectifiers as having 6 wires.  As such, I have posted two wiring diagrams...

6 wire:

5 wire:

If you use a 3 position SPDT switch (3rd postion (i.e. middle) = off, open) for the Hi/Lo switch, you do not need the headlight relay that is on newer models.  My switch is rated at 6A.

Also, the two stock fuses are 20A, and I added a 7A fuse in the headlight circuit, and a 3A fuse in the tail light circuit.

My ignition switch is a 5A SPST momentary push button.

I would recomend 18 gauge wire as a minimum size for the lighting circuits, but I have my rectifier and similar items at 16 gauge wire, except for the big fat wires that go to the battery, starter relay, and starter motor.

The wiring harness I now have has only the following items:
Hi/Lo/off -> headlight
tail light & rear brake (pedal) light switch & light
rectifier
battery
decomp controller & decomp solenoid
ignitor
starter motor
starter relay
ignition coil
magneto & pickup coil
ignition switch (key)
starter switch

It does not have:
turn signals, switch, relay
side stand switch, side stand relay, side stand diode(s)
clutch interlock
neutral switch (actually, it's still in the case, but disconnected)
anything going to the speedo
horn & switch
about 1800 feet of wire
front brake light switch (the one on the hand lever)
that's all that comes to mind

European models note:  some non US models may also have thottle position sensors.  I have no clue about those and you'll have to work that out for yourself...

Do California models have any extra wiring (for emissions purposes)?

I'd also like to point out that there may be some other differences in the older, 1986,87 models, specifically in the decomp contoller, ignitor, and sidestand interlock circuits.  I am not sure how they would affect the above diagrams.  Prolly not at all is my GUESS.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 12:54:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Simplified/Chopper Wiring Diagram
Reply #1 - 03/14/07 at 12:03:54

Now, if you want to take it to the next step and get rid of the decomp controller and the decomp solenoid ( I want to do this but have not had the time yet...) I THINK this daigram will work, and it was approved by Greg_650...

this is for a 6 wire rectifier...

if you do this, you will need to install a manual lever to actuate the decomp mechanism on start up.

ALSO, you will need to know just when to hit that manual decomp lever.  I have no idea how feasible this is...

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
It seems like the '78 SR500 I had did have a manual mechanism for the startup.  It is easy enough, just pull and hit the starter and as soon as it turns and get the first fire let it go.  It has been a while but it is simple to do with a few tries.

Hope this helps!

V

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

1997 Ignitor
Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 10:35:57

1997 Ignitor

1: Black/Yellow tracer   -> ignition coil;
2: Black,  no tracer  -> starter relay
3: no wire
4: no wire
5: Orange/White tracer -> ignition coil & kill/start switch = + 12V
6: Green,     no tracer   -> magneto pickup coil
7: Orange,   no tracer   -> magneto pickup coil
8: Black/White tracer    -> ground

see this thread also for older ignitors.

and I just found thisin our own tech sect...  Embarrassed

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: key = start
Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 15:20:36

cFlow and I came up with this diagram.  It get's rid of the decomp timer/relay & solenoid, and let's you use the third key position (park) to start the bike.  for a 5-wire rect.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 06/05/07 at 03:50:36

Quote:
if you do this, you will need to install a manual lever to actuate the decomp mechanism on start up.

ALSO, you will need to know jsut when to hit that manual decomp lever.  

V

It seems like the '78 SR500 I had did have a manual mechanism for the startup.  It is easy enough, just pull and hit the starter and as soon as it turns and get the first fire let it go.  It has been a while but it is simple to do with a few tries.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 07:49:44

using the 3rd key position as a start switch.  then you don't need another switch...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 10:15:43

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
using the 3rd key position as a start switch.  then you don't need another switch...

Doesn't the key pull out in the park position?

Sure would suck to loose the key.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/05/07 at 11:37:51

not to run, just to start. yes the key can come out there.  it would also suck to have the key come out in that position and the starter motor keeps going...

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 04/04/11 at 19:36:48

I am gonna try this, but will need to figure out which wires from the ignition switch go to what... I will do some playin this week and will let everyone know how it goes!

vroom1776 wrote on 06/04/07 at 15:20:36:
cFlow and I came up with this diagram.  It get's rid of the decomp timer/relay & solenoid, and let's you use the third key position (park) to start the bike.  for a 5-wire rect.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/vroom1776/5wire_park_Start.jpg?t=11810...

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/04/11 at 20:55:55

Chopped wrote on 04/04/11 at 19:36:48:
I am gonna try this, but will need to figure out which wires from the ignition switch go to what... I will do some playin this week and will let everyone know how it goes!

vroom1776 wrote on 06/04/07 at 15:20:36:

You should use a car type ig switch with the spring loaded return.

Another danger is the key can be pulled out in this position.

With the safety's removed, you'll launch the bike in gear cause you won't have the clutch pulled in.  And w/o a spring loaded return the bike will keep going.  Let's say it topples over, key side down, whatcha gonna do?  can't pick it up, spinning wheel.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/05/11 at 11:06:17

not gonna work it seems. You need +12 on the CDI whilst cranking. Stock key switch provides +12 on EITHER one contact OR another. Crank or spark. Should work out some solution with diodes to use stock switch.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/21/14 at 10:07:19

Colxjon wrote on 08/14/14 at 10:16:56:
I have a wiring diagram I drew up for my bike using a ignition switch from lowbrow customs. I'll post a picture of it later. It's not colored but you should be able to figure I out.

Colxjon wrote on 08/14/14 at 10:30:15:
This is about as simple as it gets... No turn signals, no decompression, no horn, and no bar controls.

Colxjon wrote on 08/19/14 at 16:08:00:
I used the wiring diagram from the manual so if you look a that it should be pretty straight forward. I used as much as the stock wiring as I could and used bullet connectors whenever I had to make a connection in my electronics box, and then ran new wires to my front brake light switch, coil, headlight, and rear brake light.

You should add a fuse for the lighting circuit.

WWW   IP Logged
RazBarlow

Timing Is Everything
! R U Advanced or
Retarded ?

Keene Texas
Reply #12 - 11/13/17 at 04:35:48

Does anyone have the diagrams ?
The third party photobucket is annoying .
Especially when you need a technical pic like a wiring diagram.
Thank You

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/24/18 at 11:25:21

Guess no one has the above diagrams the OP posted.  Someone please wake this thread. I could use some simplified wiring instead of the mess I have now.  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/25/18 at 05:58:53

Hi Andemon.  Here's a simplified wiring diagram I've started for the bobber we're doing.  It's not complete, but it's a start.

Lemme know if it helps.

1996-03WiringDiagpgColor_REV.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:43:58

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Simplified/Chopper Wiring Diagram

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.