Carb Mod Trouble (Read 2 times)
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Re: Carb Mod Trouble
Reply #15 - 03/13/07 at 14:17:47

Kinda figured it would just knock against the bottom side of your skull....Hmph... Wink

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 03/13/07 at 14:32:40

TVR_FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Kinda figured it would just knock against the bottom side of your skull....Hmph... Wink

Damm near a self inflicted lobotomy Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 03/13/07 at 15:47:49

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Damm near a self inflicted lobotomy Tongue

might have happened how would you know?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/13/07 at 16:43:26

Another dumb question just to bring this discussion back to fido...

Since you didn't say the the new muff sounded good... Was the new muffler open?  You didn't leave some packing in there?

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #19 - 03/13/07 at 17:19:52

On a related note...What would you guys recommend as a main and pilot jet with OPEN PIPES?!? Shocked
(Sea level, 70F, 29 barometric pressure, and 50% humidity, any other details necessary? Smiley

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #20 - 03/14/07 at 03:56:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
And just how do you propose to blow on that slot?  Reminds me of another topic Smiley

You just had to ask didn't you..... Roll Eyes

step one..find slot
step two...pucker up
step three...get a good seal on slot
step four....blow!

Man you just have to drag out the details don't you!! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 03/14/07 at 04:58:17

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You just had to ask didn't you..... Roll Eyes

step one..find slot
step two...pucker up
step three...get a good seal on slot
step four....blow!

Man you just have to drag out the details don't you!! Grin

I'm just compassionate and sympathetic guy that wants to afford all newbies with the best possible options that will bring them success.  I know how tough it was for me and just want to make their transition as painless as possible.

It's a noble goal, but I'm up to it...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #22 - 03/14/07 at 06:40:10

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
On a related note...What would you guys recommend as a main and pilot jet with OPEN PIPES?!? Shocked
(Sea level, 70F, 29 barometric pressure, and 50% humidity, any other details necessary? Smiley

we run a 152.5 main, 1/2 spacer, #55 pilot, and we're at +165'. we also ran a 155 main, 2/3 spacer, #55 pilot, with good results. i attempted to pick up some gas mileage by downsizing the main jet, i dont think it made a lot of difference, because the mid range (most riding) was compensated by raising the needle.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #23 - 03/14/07 at 19:32:55

Are we at Sluggo's table? I could have sworn we were in...  Thanks for all the good ideas. May be the weekend before I get another crack at opening the carb to see what's going on. Not that I would know if it was right or not. I'm guessing that not working properly will be obvious. (I hope) First thing I did was to check all the things I'm too smart to so or miss. Plenty of gas. Steady stream on prime. Cleared the bowl to see if it was bad. Looked clear to me. I will be extra observant to find the puzzle piece. I have to agree with the too much fuel theory... only thing that makes sense.
Verslagen1: Thanks for asking. I'm not sure since I never really got past idle. I held back the temptation to twist it up, haven't had it running in a while, want the oil warm before doing that. But yes I think it will sound distinct.
Smokin_blue: Not to blow on hot embers but is the slide called something else? I agree with you that for what I have done it should still be running.
Thanks again. I'm sure that I will have it running this weekend. I'll let you know what I found. BTW... How do I set up the tach to set the idle? That is... I mean.... well the way you guys handle your tools, perhaps I should look it up.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 03/14/07 at 19:59:28

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
but is the slide called something else?

... How do I set up the tach to set the idle?

Well if you've done the 1/2 spacer than you've had the slide in your hand - has the needle sticking out one end and the diaphram on the other end and large srping goes on top of it - pretty important that it is clean and not hanging up or down - slide'n free

what kind of tach do you have? some are induction and you just wrap a wire around the plug wire - good for diag or setting idle mixtures but won't hold up to the vibs very long if mounted on the bike - or a normal electronic bike tach?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 03/14/07 at 20:06:21

The idle is easy to set by ear.  Just like a lawn mower, it doesn't have a tach cause it's not that important.

Turn the speed down till it sort of chugs or lopes, then turn it back up till it runs real smooth and steady.  You are in the 100 rpm range and good enough to go.  If it bogs a bit, then turn it up a bit more.

Do it when hot too.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #26 - 03/19/07 at 16:34:02

Okay. I removed the carb and inspected it, everything was tight and clean except for the shop rag I stuffed in it when I stored it for a couple of weeks. it was under the butterfly; at least that's my answer for not seeing it. Now it runs fine but I get the popping that others talk about. It's too cold around here to get a decent ride in to warm it up. Sunday I was out most of the day, by the time I got the test drive in, it was time to move onto another project. so hopefully this weekend I will get to tune the carb.
Do I follow Lancer's Carb Tune-up thread? to get rid of the popping? Greg. are you saying just adjust the idle speed (left side)
Muffler sounds great! Very Europian. British almost. That's my opinion, I have no experience to back it up.
Thanks for all your suggestions. Start simple and eliminate the obvious. I still need to work at not 4 things at the same time and still pay attention to the one I'm on.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 03/19/07 at 16:42:07

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
we run a 152.5 main, 1/2 spacer, #55 pilot, and we're at +165'. we also ran a 155 main, 2/3 spacer, #55 pilot, with good results. i attempted to pick up some gas mileage by downsizing the main jet, i dont think it made a lot of difference, because the mid range (most riding) was compensated by raising the needle.

Remember that you will not see any difference in the main jet size except in the 3/4-full throttle range.
Needle ... 1/4-3/4 throttle range
Pilot  ....idle to 1/4 throttle range

There is some overlap of course, but that is the basics of it.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #28 - 03/19/07 at 17:11:05

Having said that, does that mean that the white spacer is the  1/4 to 3/4 adjustment? Is the popping that I have a lean fuel  setting not getting burned off at decelleration?
Thanks again, I finally got the muffler mounted trhe way I wanted. Looks factory. Sounds Distinct!

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/19/07 at 19:40:37

fido - I started to follow Lancer's carb tip to get rid of backfire/popping but when I followed second part (where you turn the mixture screw out & engine is supposed to pick up speed & then  start to slow) after almost 2 turns it did not start to slow, so I twisted throttle (what the heck, I thought!) & let it go & found I'd lost all backfire (actually on long ride today found out not all popping gone but gone most of time & when it did backfire occasionally it was not bad like before)

see my entry called "what did I do? (right!)" for full details.

hope this or following Lancer's tip all the way through works for you. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:39:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Mod Trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.