Carb Mod Trouble (Read 2 times)
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Carb Mod Trouble
03/12/07 at 21:23:45

My stock 02 with 5k on the clock was running fine six weeks before I parked it. Then I replaced the muffler,  Emgo Dunstall Replica, put a 152.5 main, left the pilot at 52.5 and a half spacer in the carb, then a K&N drop-in air filter. at first it started fine, then it got slower, then stuttering, and of course stopped. Attempts to re-start wouldn't work. Rinning on prime, no help. When it did start I had it at full throttle only to get a steady but weak run from it. I did notice a little lite smoke (exhaust) chucked that up to new and needs idle reset. And that's my problem. I think the carb is flooding out and that I did something to the float. Can't set an idle that I don't have.

Did I mess up the float? No I didn't do anything to it. I remember someone suggesting lately to drain the carb and fuel from the tank because of Ethanol (I am almost certain that I don't use it in my gas) I drain some fuel; didn't see anything and it started right off. Idled fine then dropped off and I can't start it. Is something amiss in my carb.? No my vent tubes are not pinched. The float is my only guess. And I don't want to rip down the carb on a guess. The air flow should have made up for the change in extra fuel. I did have no spacer but when I opened the carb this time I decided that was too much fuel.
I plan to set up the idle when I get it running. And while we are talking about it, Don't laugh, where do I hook up the tach to set the idle?
I appreciate any help please.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: Carb Mod Trouble
Reply #1 - 03/12/07 at 21:34:05

I would check the easy stuff first,

Dumb stuff first make sure you have fuel in it, I am sure you do, but check anyway. Check all of you hoses to make sure your vacuum line is hook up and not pinched and also check the fuel line.

Make sure your battery connections are tight and the batt fully charged.

Then i would open the fuel bowl drain (bottom nut and see if you have fuel draining out, put the petthingy on prime. You can tap litely on the fuel bowl if no fuel is coming out. If that fixes it then you have a stuck float.

Next I would go back in to the carb and inspect the the jet, the float and the needle seat. Also, I would check the upper diaphragm and make sure that it is lined up properly with the little rubber tab, and at the same time you can check the slide spring. This can get off line when reinstalling the cap and really cause havoc with everything.

Next, I would make sure you have spark.

Since you changed some things, it is likely that something didn't go back together quite right.
It sounds more like it ran out of gas than anything electrical, but that's just my .02

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 03/12/07 at 22:11:01

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
. Also, I would check the upper diaphragm and make sure that it is lined up properly with the little rubber tab, and at the same time you can check the slide spring. This can get off line when reinstalling the cap and really cause havoc with everything.

good list - and to this diaphragm section - clean - make sure the slide is clean - not oil grease - nothing on the slide.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/12/07 at 22:45:52

Check the float.  Make sure it isn't stuck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/12/07 at 22:55:39

Sounds like an engine with no fuel.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 03/12/07 at 23:18:01

Sounds like an engine with too much fuel Grin

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 03/13/07 at 03:31:09

I vote with Greg.....pull the float bowl off, check any jets you touched but also the float and the needle very carefully....sounds like too much gas and is flooding.  Note it started up well after draining the carb.

Also, if it were only an idle adjustment it ought to run fine holding the throttle just a little to keep it idling.  Doesn't sound any where close to that condition.

Check the float and valve needle/seat...any spec of dirt can hold the valve needle open.

Also, you didn't mention...did you have the slide and spring out?  If you did make sure that is in right.  You can check by blowing in the long oval slot at the inlet and the slide will rise and then fall imediately when you stop blowing.

WWW   IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #7 - 03/13/07 at 04:46:06

Definitely sounds like the float.  Pull the carb back off and check it out carefully.

After that, pull the spark plug and clean it (or replace it) because it will probably be wet.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 03/13/07 at 08:08:33

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I vote with Greg.....pull the float bowl off, check any jets you touched but also the float and the needle very carefully....sounds like too much gas and is flooding.  Note it started up well after draining the carb.

Also, if it were only an idle adjustment it ought to run fine holding the throttle just a little to keep it idling.  Doesn't sound any where close to that condition.

Check the float and valve needle/seat...any spec of dirt can hold the valve needle open.

Also, you didn't mention...did you have the slide and spring out?  If you did make sure that is in right.  You can check by blowing in the long oval slot at the inlet and the slide will rise and then fall imediately when you stop blowing.

And just how do you propose to blow on that slot?  Reminds me of another topic Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/13/07 at 08:09:09

enophile wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Definitely sounds like the float.  Pull the carb back off and check it out carefully.

After that, pull the spark plug and clean it (or replace it) because it will probably be wet.

Yep.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/07 at 08:39:57

You aren't gonna let it go are ya? I just had to check it. So0, we can conclude I am determined, thorough & sometimes very wrong.
I knew when I posted that I was loading the guns that would shoot me. Honestly, the flak has been a LOT less than I thought that post would get. And , all in good fun.
I can laugh at myself.
I was straightening the vent near the wipers on a Ford Pickup with a hook, both elbows on the fender, biceps straining to lift that bent vent just a hair, when it popped loose. The tubular handle hit me between the eyes so hard I knocked myself all the way across the next bay backwards, trying to not fall on my butt. No One saw it, so I had to go tell the guys. That was too funny to keep to myself.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/13/07 at 08:44:09

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You aren't gonna let it go are ya? I just had to check it. So0, we can conclude I am determined, thorough & sometimes very wrong.
I knew when I posted that I was loading the guns that would shoot me. Honestly, the flak has been a LOT less than I thought that post would get. And , all in good fun.
I can laugh at myself.
I was straightening the vent near the wipers on a Ford Pickup with a hook, both elbows on the fender, biceps straining to lift that bent vent just a hair, when it popped loose. The tubular handle hit me between the eyes so hard I knocked myself all the way across the next bay backwards, trying to not fall on my butt. No One saw it, so I had to go tell the guys. That was too funny to keep to myself.

Hey.  I jammed a phillips screwdriver up my right nostril once when changing brake shoe springs on a '64 Chevy.

That'll bring tears to your eyes Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/13/07 at 09:20:15

You guys are just making my whole day.   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/13/07 at 09:21:07

Ohh man, just reading that nearly did it. I hope while you had it up there you went ahead & tightened the loose screws in yer head.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 03/13/07 at 09:32:22

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Ohh man, just reading that nearly did it. I hope while you had it up there you went ahead & tightened the loose screws in yer head.

Naw, just rounded out the heads.

But really, it actually went part way up my cheek.  Cool huh?

Anyone can knock themselves in the head.  I take it to a new level Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:38:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Mod Trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.