Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fixing plug leak (Read 9 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Fixing plug leak
03/12/07 at 20:21:39

Question maybe for Gregg 650, but hope others will leap in, too.

Greg - know you work on your bike a lot (& seem to be on this site all the time so have no idea when you find time to work on it!  Grin ) & know you did the (what looks to be excellent) piece on fixing the plug leak, so question -

do you have a list or can recall a parts list of what I should buy from Ronayers/bike bandit like seals & washers so I ensure I don't get leaks or not replace what I should do, please?

also, I know you said you copied the view of the head & punched holes in it & taped it over a box so could ensure bolts were put back in correctly. I don't have abilities to make one & wondered if you have a copy whether you can e-mail me one, please - my address is tosti22@juno.com.

If anyone else has info then please feel free to leap in - I'd welcome all help I can get - can do basic bike stuff but have been shying away from this project as I feel it is beyond me & know I need to do it (the leak is there & isn't getting any better, I know that!)

(my project for next winter - it is now in the low/mid 60s here & can only get better from here on - but want to know what I'm tackling - well - in advance!)

thanks in advance for help! george Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: Fixing plug leak
Reply #1 - 03/12/07 at 20:38:50

I am not a sub for Greg, but here is some information.

But first what year is your bike, how many miles?

The head diagram can be found here and printed out:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

and the plug cap part number from ronayers is 11145-41B01

make sure when you install it that you put some permatex on iit. I can tell you that this new one fits much tighter than the one that is currently on your bike.

ask any questions here, these guys are great. I am currently doing a cam chain, clutch, chain conversion, and a few others all with the help of these guys.

The suzuki is a very forgiving bike, so it is great to learn wrenching on.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/12/07 at 21:28:12

Don't forget to order the figure 8 shaped rubber o ring that goes under the cover to direct the oil to the rocker arms. Also consider the 6-8 copper washers (mine came as a rubber lined copper) that go under specified cover screws. Be stingy with the sealer on the cover as you do not want blobs of that getting into the oil pump pickup and blocking it off. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/12/07 at 23:08:42

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Question maybe for Gregg 650, but hope others will leap in, too.

Greg - know you work on your bike a lot (& seem to be on this site all the time so have no idea when you find time to work on it!  Grin ) & know you did the (what looks to be excellent) piece on fixing the plug leak, so question -

do you have a list or can recall a parts list of what I should buy from Ronayers/bike bandit like seals & washers so I ensure I don't get leaks or not replace what I should do, please?

also, I know you said you copied the view of the head & punched holes in it & taped it over a box so could ensure bolts were put back in correctly. I don't have abilities to make one & wondered if you have a copy whether you can e-mail me one, please - my address is tosti22@juno.com.

If anyone else has info then please feel free to leap in - I'd welcome all help I can get - can do basic bike stuff but have been shying away from this project as I feel it is beyond me & know I need to do it (the leak is there & isn't getting any better, I know that!)

(my project for next winter - it is now in the low/mid 60s here & can only get better from here on - but want to know what I'm tackling - well - in advance!)

thanks in advance for help! george Smiley

Well, since I first posted my little guide, quite a few others have done the same job now and are quite as proficient.

(Believe it or not, back in '02 when I fixed mine, I didn't know anyone that had done it themselves.  Everyone took it to a dealer)

But I thought that I listed some parts...maybe I need to go look again.

Anyway, I'll email the bolt pattern to you.  Not a problem.

In the mean time just start gathering your tools and parts and wait for a rainy day.  Myself or a few dozen others will keep you on track.

...shoot, soon you'll be giving this advice in the future, too Grin

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/07 at 13:47:35

tbalam - it is a 96 with about 10,000 miles on it. leak started about 1000 miles ago - not bad unless I go along interstate.

what I'm looking for is list of what I need in addition to the actual plug cap (numbers if possible) for any gaskets & washers. know I'm asking a lot, maybe, but thought knowing how organized some of you are out there thought maybe some would have a list of what they bought when they did it on their Savage.

help would be appreciated... Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #5 - 03/13/07 at 14:06:47

I included part numbers in my above post,

if you use gregs bolt pattern, then you won't need anything but some permatex to seal the head cover.
Good Luck!!

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/07 at 21:24:10

tbalam -

I noted the parts # you gave for the plug cap - thanks - but wondered if anyone had list (with #'s would be terrific!) of other parts needed - the link you gave me did not seem to supply that info either (or maybe I'm blind!)

thanks to anyone who has that info!

george

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/14/07 at 08:45:57

You should also get a manual so that you can follow certain steps before just removing the cover...

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/14/07 at 12:21:41

have the clymers - should that be good enough, Greg? (I know about their error when turning the doohickey to get TDC!) Smiley

any other suggestions, anyone? (besides what is in the tech section on its repair? - either what Greg said or the additions?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/14/07 at 15:45:16

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
have the clymers - should that be good enough, Greg? (I know about their error when turning the doohickey to get TDC!) Smiley

any other suggestions, anyone? (besides what is in the tech section on its repair? - either what Greg said or the additions?

Manual is good.

Don't remove the headcover bolt on the right side that has the phillips slots in the top.  It just retains the rocker shaft.

Don't remove the bolt on the left side by the decompression lever and the valve cover.  It just retains the decompression cam shaft.

Don't forget the 2 bolts inside the valve covers.

Torque wrench?  You won't be the first one to break one of those headcover bolts if you aren't careful...it isn't a fatal mistake but taking the cover back off with the silicone sealer is a messy drag.

Take your time.  Double check everything.  Clean, clean, clean.  The next time it'll be like clockwork.

When you put it back on don't forget the upside down bolt on the left and remember to put that one bolt back in the middle of the cover before you put the cover on (I did that.   The one you can't get all the way out).

If you're a beer drinker, an ice cold 6 pack is good too Grin

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 03/14/07 at 18:30:14

uh oh, whats this figure 8 o-ring ?
is it the one that goes on top right side over a pin/dowel ?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/14/07 at 20:47:44

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
uh oh, whats this figure 8 o-ring ?
is it the one that goes on top right side over a pin/dowel ?

Figure 8?  There is one that is kinda egg shaped...just happens to be in today's sigline too Smiley

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 03/16/07 at 17:50:59

oh, that one
i remember it now
i just reused the original but had to carefully place during head cover reinstall.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 03/17/07 at 06:07:23

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
oh, that one
i remember it now
i just reused the original but had to carefully place during head cover reinstall.

I always reuse an o-ring as long as it isn't cut, pinched, cracked, flattened or radioactive.

A thin film of silicone will hold it up in the headcover while you put it back together.  Yep, a little sealer on a seal.

IP Logged
Gonzina
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/19/07 at 13:11:47

I have a major oil leak problem as in the picture....can anyone help me out and indicate if it is a head gasket or a plug leaking?

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/215/215131/folders/156030/1293140W...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:30:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fixing plug leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.