ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Patch tube?
03/12/07 at 19:46:01

I can understand a dealers reluctance.  

As hard as it is to get in there and your health on the line... you going to chance it if you got an option?  

Even in my best days pedaling, patches were 90% good. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 03/12/07 at 20:04:18

I would not trust my bike, injury or even life to the possibility of a patch lifting/not sealing well.

they don't cost a fortune (not even $15?) so would always go for new tube if punctured.

(by the way, it is standard practice & goes with a couple of pieces of advice on this site to put in a new tube in when putting on a new tire - I know I do).

so, my advice - cost of tube is well worth it when set against the cost of things going potentially wrong.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/07 at 20:07:54

Front rire, Maybe I would.

Rear tire? I would sure rather not. As hard as that is to get in to I would think it's a bad gamble. Cost savings versus potential costs if it's a bust.

If I wrote the policy I wouldn't alow them to patch either. A failed patch at speed could cost a Bundle for the insurance company.Granted, unlikely, but why risk it?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/12/07 at 21:33:26

I change my own tires and always keep an extra tube in case I pinch one during installation. I think is is mostly a sound business decision to not install a patched tube. Slim chance of a problem but a nasty one from a legal stand point should the patch come loose and cause you to lose control and hurt yourself or someone else. They also the right to insist you use their tube supplier rather than one you carry in. Don't like it,  learn to do your own repairs and balance your own tires. Then you can only be mad at yourself if there is a problem. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 03/12/07 at 22:59:01

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I change my own tires and always keep an extra tube in case I pinch one during installation. I think is is mostly a sound business decision to not install a patched tube. Slim chance of a problem but a nasty one from a legal stand point should the patch come loose and cause you to lose control and hurt yourself or someone else. They also the right to insist you use their tube supplier rather than one you carry in. Don't like it,  learn to do your own repairs and balance your own tires. Then you can only be mad at yourself if there is a problem. Max

Aw, come on.  You don't pinch tubes do you?

Of course, if you ever change your own tires you will at some time pinch a tube.  It's kinda like an initiation into a club.  You can pinch a tube with the tool or the rim, but usually once is all it takes.

Either let the dealer do it with a new tube or have a go at it yourself.  If you do it yourself, have a good tube patch kit handy anyway.

And if you think street tires are a challenge try some good stiff motocross knobbies with some rim locks thrown in there for grins.  That's real fun.

Hint #1...get a good set of tire tools.  Nothin' worse then bending a cheapy set.

Hint #2 anyone?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 03/12/07 at 23:26:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hint #2 anyone?

take it to the dealer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/07 at 03:20:55

Hint #2, Study Grampa's list of cusswords. Look in the index for those reserved for "Blue Streak Only" applications.

Hint #3 Soapy water in a spray bottle.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/13/07 at 07:53:29

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
take it to the dealer

You must have gotten that one from the "Newbie's Guide to Motorcycling".

Look in the "Because I Can, Therefore I Do" handbook, instead Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 03/13/07 at 07:57:41

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hint #2, Study Grampa's list of cusswords. Look in the index for those reserved for "Blue Streak Only" applications.

Hint #3 Soapy water in a spray bottle.

Personally, I think that #2 is the best tool in the box.

#3 is definitely dead on Smiley

#4?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/07 at 11:35:26

#4 Recruit an intelligent gorilla?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/13/07 at 12:10:19

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
#4 Recruit an intelligent gorilla?

No!  If it isn't flat, then LET OUT THE AIR!

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/13/07 at 13:21:22

you think changing a tire with rim locks is a pian, I recall trying to get a tire on a scooter wheel - those small tires still have thick walls & are a real pain to get on a rim, even with tire irons almost as long as your arm!

whatever - stand by my first statement - get a new tube & for sake of $25 (in my town anyway) on top of the $10-15 for the tube take it in to the dealer & let them do it - if they pinch it they'll have to put in a new tube - also they get to balance it better than most can.

that's my 3 cents worth (I'm trying to make a profit here on advice! Grin )

(& it's not because I'm not willing to try something relatively easy myself (hello little soap on rims bubbles) but think it is a pain & chance of pinching & having to buy another tube is so frustrating.)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/13/07 at 14:41:01

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
you think changing a tire with rim locks is a pian, I recall trying to get a tire on a scooter wheel - those small tires still have thick walls & are a real pain to get on a rim, even with tire irons almost as long as your arm!

whatever - stand by my first statement - get a new tube & for sake of $25 (in my town anyway) on top of the $10-15 for the tube take it in to the dealer & let them do it - if they pinch it they'll have to put in a new tube - also they get to balance it better than most can.

that's my 3 cents worth (I'm trying to make a profit here on advice! Grin )

(& it's not because I'm not willing to try something relatively easy myself (hello little soap on rims bubbles) but think it is a pain & chance of pinching & having to buy another tube is so frustrating.)

Some of us are so used to thriving in total frustration that a tire change is relaxing Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 03/13/07 at 14:41:57

#4 - remove valve stem...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/13/07 at 19:15:45

My GO  Rilla don't need to remove no steenkeeng valve stem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:32:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Patch tube?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.