Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stole a wheel/tire! (Read 18 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Stole a wheel/tire!
Reply #15 - 03/14/07 at 21:24:34

DoooWhaaat? Since when do WE allow having no experience cause us to haul stuff tp a pro?

Grab a few pieces O 2x4 & notch the ends of 2 of them. Stick that wheel on the axle & put it in the newly built rack that has the axle level. Use a screwdriver & hold it close to the rim & give the thing a spin. Watch for the rim to move up & down or side to side. Look at the spot on the wheel that is wobbling & adjust spokes to counter the offensive wobbles. I had no experience when I started working on 10 speed wheels & I did get good at it. It's easy, unless the wheel has been damaged. These wheels are beefy enough that much of a bend will be straightened with the spokes & the spokes not be too tight. I wouldn't try that. A minor warp is one thing, a solid smack & a bent rim? Replace it. ( Naturally, if you can get it done cheap enough the whole process is a waste) Question: How many times have you hired someone to do a tedious task that they actually took pains to get it Right? I do this kind of thing myself. You can do it on the bike. Jack it up, pull the belt or not & use the swingarm for a reference. I would rather have the belt off so it will spin easier & allow me to get an idea of the "rhythm"of the wheels distortions. A mental picture of the problem before work starts is good.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 03/15/07 at 08:55:35

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
DoooWhaaat? Since when do WE allow having no experience cause us to haul stuff tp a pro?

Grab a few pieces O 2x4 & notch the ends of 2 of them. Stick that wheel on the axle & put it in the newly built rack that has the axle level. Use a screwdriver & hold it close to the rim & give the thing a spin. Watch for the rim to move up & down or side to side. Look at the spot on the wheel that is wobbling & adjust spokes to counter the offensive wobbles. I had no experience when I started working on 10 speed wheels & I did get good at it. It's easy, unless the wheel has been damaged. These wheels are beefy enough that much of a bend will be straightened with the spokes & the spokes not be too tight. I wouldn't try that. A minor warp is one thing, a solid smack & a bent rim? Replace it. ( Naturally, if you can get it done cheap enough the whole process is a waste) Question: How many times have you hired someone to do a tedious task that they actually took pains to get it Right? I do this kind of thing myself. You can do it on the bike. Jack it up, pull the belt or not & use the swingarm for a reference. I would rather have the belt off so it will spin easier & allow me to get an idea of the "rhythm"of the wheels distortions. A mental picture of the problem before work starts is good.

And see?  That's what I meant.  You have experience.  I said if you don't.  You started on bicycles, not motorcycles.  Same concept, big difference unless you're never going over 35.  A mental picture is good, if you know what you're looking at Tongue  After all, for a wheel to be true you have to consider wobble and concentricity.

I just don't make recommendations to do something that others might perceive as simple.  Then they screw it up and blame me Sad

If you are gonna do it...at least cough up $20 for a dial indicator and a base at Harbor Freight.  Then at least you might look like a Pro.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #17 - 03/22/07 at 21:04:17

I'm gonna need more beer.

Luckily, I'm sure that what is loose will be minimal and for that I am willing to go my own way and snugg them with a wrench. If there was any question as to the "concentricity" I would forego the learning experience and "pay the man" to get the piece of mind that it's done right. Of course it would not be the part timer who needs something to do.

Thanks for the info Guys.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/22/07 at 21:51:45

You know that's a good idea, flip over your kids bike and get some experience.  Our rear wheels will be simple compared due to the short spokes, but the front will be just like your kids bike.  As the spokes get tighter, trueing the wheels gets more difficult because of the wide spacing of the cross 3 or 4 spoke pattern.  Tighten one side and the other goes astray.  Time and patience.  Go slow.  Observe what happens with every turn.  For wheels with dish (off center) true them where they live.  It will save you from starting over.

Have fun!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 03/23/07 at 05:44:20

Dan's MC Repair Course has a lot of great info including spoke wheel truing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #20 - 03/23/07 at 18:25:58

Thanks Rob, That was one of the pages perhaps you mentioned in the past that I wanted to bookmark and get back to. Well I bookmarked it didn't I. Thanks.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:26:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stole a wheel/tire!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.