Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: electrical trouble
Reply #30 - 03/14/07 at 18:26:07

Hiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
OK, I have taken off the tape and removed the rear turnsignal. I noticed that where the wire goes through the crome fender rail the insolation has a hole in it.I took out the whol wire. Now do I need to replace the wire or can it be fixed. And since I have the light off I should replace it. How do I det the plastic cover off of the rubber boot. and then how do I get a new one back on.

there are liquid electrical  tape products at the hardware  store just brush on have used for uvderground splices up to 5k volts..you must consider viberation or rubbing.that may cause problem in the future..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 03/14/07 at 18:43:14

Dr. Fishbeck (long since retired long time meterologist for abc los angeles) said "to increase your rate of success you need to increase your rate of failure".

If my screwups were trees, I couldn't see the forrest!  Grin

It's what you do with your failures that tips the balence of fate.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 03/14/07 at 20:12:08

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Dr. Fishbeck (long since retired long time meterologist for abc los angeles) said "to increase your rate of success you need to increase your rate of failure".

If my screwups were trees, I couldn't see the forrest!  Grin

It's what you do with your failures that tips the balence of fate.

Okay.  Maybe you can explain what Hiker meant by "plastic cover on the rubber boot"...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 03/14/07 at 20:21:17

Is it me or doesn't anyone check wires with a meter, or even more conveniently with the bikes power?

Why not just turn the key on with the wires connected and wiggle the wires and try to find the bad connection?  All we know is there was a "hole" in a wire and he pulled the wires out.  Where's the hole and where'd he pull the wires from?

So far everyone's way too technical on this, and we still don't know even a wire color.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 03/14/07 at 20:30:22

Here's a rear turn signal.  I know it's not bullet shaped like the Savage40, but there's no difference in function.  

Where's it broken?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/14/07 at 20:31:56

I think what concerns me the most is there is now a wire that belongs in the bike that isn't. I don't think I have seen any wires that remove without cutting or making a connector release the wire by reaching into it with a probe & tripping the catch. Im a bit curious as to how this wire will be reinstalled.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 03/14/07 at 20:45:31

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think what concerns me the most is there is now a wire that belongs in the bike that isn't. I don't think I have seen any wires that remove without cutting or making a connector release the wire by reaching into it with a probe & tripping the catch. Im a bit curious as to how this wire will be reinstalled.

That's why I asked about the seat and rail...

IP Logged
Hiker
YaBB Newbies

Reply #37 - 03/16/07 at 07:27:09

Checked the wires, there are no breaks that I could find.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #38 - 03/16/07 at 07:45:40

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Dr. Fishbeck (long since retired long time meterologist for abc los angeles)

OT - Dr. Fishbeck started at KNME-TV in Albuquerque, NM before he moved to Los Angeles. I used to see him on the University of NM campus from time to time. He was a very entertaining fellow. Used to "wiggle" his mustache for effect. <G>

Ken

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 03/16/07 at 10:03:01

Hiiker.
If no wires are busted, then all that needs done is make sure the insulation is good on them & make sure they go where they are supposed to go.
Do you have a wiring diagram?
Do you have a volt ohm meter?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 03/16/07 at 14:21:31

On the Savage, these are the wire connections under the seat...can't be much different on the Savage40.

Blk & Blk/Wht = Left
Grn & Bkl/Wht = Right

IP Logged
Hiker
YaBB Newbies

Reply #41 - 03/16/07 at 23:33:08

OK, right or wrong this is what I did. I took off the seat, just so I could see what I was looking at. The silfer bullet shaped housing was cracked an taped. I took of the chrome fender rails, it was easier to take them both off I have a backrest and lugggage rack. II inspected the wires as and couldn't find any broken spots. What I thought was a hole turned out to be a pinch in the insolation. With my limited knowledge, I had done all I felt I could do. I decided to put it all back together and take it to the dealer for repair. After getting it all back together I wanted to check to make sure that what was working before I tool it apart was still working. I turned it on and everything works fine. Turn signals, tail light. I don't know what I did, but it is working for now. Also on the S40 the wires to the turn signals have the two wires going to a single plug for each side, and the broken part was the plastic bullet shaped part.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 03/16/07 at 23:39:54

Well, Hiker, That's COOL. You have no idea how many times I have walked off into somethng & it just fixed itself while I was in there. ( The number of things that have gone completely to H#!! given the some opportunity outnumber those) Anyway, you went in to something you didn't understand & you got it. Remember that. I hope you keep reading here. If you do, I bet you start understanding what these guys are talking about. It just takes time. You will get more determined to learn if you have to pay the dealer a few times. The $$ saved will buy the tools & parts & several cold beers to get ya thru the job.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 03/17/07 at 06:01:29

Just what Justin said....

In the end, you did what we suggested from the beginning of this topic.  Even though you had resigned yourself to go to the dealer (always an undesirable last choice), you managed to fix the problem...and THAT is what this site is all about.

Next time you hear us teasing about the duct tape, you'll really know what we mean.

BTW - the wires for the signals use a double connector now?  Okay.  Good info.  A subtle new change from Savage to Savage40.

Of course, you still have that broken housing.  That's a shame.  I believe that you have to buy the entire unit to fix that, and it ain't cheap.  Maybe something will come up in the Marketplace or on eBay.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 03/17/07 at 08:18:18

I hope you fixed it, but I think you may have changed your problem to something else that will crop up later.  Don't forget that you had this problem when something else happens.  When you took everything apart, you took apart the 2 wires that were crossed.  And they are either just waiting to come back together or touch something else.  If you start blowing fuses, look in the same spot and maybe the problem will be more apparent.

Paying the dealer to trouble shoot is very expensive.  They'll charge you by hour.  Better to narrow it down to a certain component and replacing the whole thing.  I haven't seen very many new style signals available on ebay, but the old style goes for $20.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:51:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › electrical trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.