ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: electrical trouble
Reply #15 - 03/11/07 at 09:20:24

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
short=wire is open,no complete circuit..

I disagree thumper... justin_o_guy said; "Shorts are most often accompanied by telltale signs of electrons using a short cut to ground instead of running dutifully through the load they were intended to run thru."

But I believe in Hikers case we have a short to voltage. And maybe this is a misnomer, but you do have a pair of crossed wires.  

Because instead of smoke rising you have lights were there should be any.  In a way you're lucky.  In stead of replacing a rat's nest of burnt wire and various components, you got light.

And we have a good clue which wire to search down, Power to the tail!  (This is a much better thread, I wouldn't ever put my lips on a petc0ck!)   Grin

Commentary: Snide remarks at the end of a helpful discussion are OK!  And when without, should be left in the cafe IMHO.   8)

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 03/11/07 at 17:23:38

I agree w/ verslagen:  short circuit = any fault involving current not running thru load to designed ground, i.e. not running thru load, or reaching ground before design.

At any rate, semantics really don't matter in this case if lights don't light when you intend and do when you don't...either case needs a circuit tester to find the exact wire and exact location.  A circuit tester is part of any good tool kit, especially with the Savage!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 03/12/07 at 05:03:54

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I disagree thumper... justin_o_guy said; "Shorts are most often accompanied by telltale signs of electrons using a short cut to ground instead of running dutifully through the load they were intended to run thru."

But I believe in Hikers case we have a short to voltage. And maybe this is a misnomer, but you do have a pair of crossed wires.  

Because instead of smoke rising you have lights were there should be any.  In a way you're lucky.  In stead of replacing a rat's nest of burnt wire and various components, you got light.

And we have a good clue which wire to search down, Power to the tail!  (This is a much better thread, I wouldn't ever put my lips on a petc0ck!)   Grin

Commentary: Snide remarks at the end of a helpful discussion are OK!  And when without, should be left in the cafe IMHO.   8)

That's an idea.  If you don't have a meter, test the wires in your mouth and see if you blink.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #18 - 03/13/07 at 10:03:26

Hiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have an 07 S40 with 1200 miles . Heres my problem. I noticed that with the key in the run position, front lights all worked, no flashers or blinkers though. No rear lights at all, except brake lights. With the key in the accessory position all thel lights work, headlight, tail ight, front and rear blinkers and flashers. What could this problem be?

Question: at what position of the ignition switch does you engine start?

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 03/13/07 at 12:16:35

Hmmm.  Let me think...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #20 - 03/13/07 at 20:32:53

ok
a fault is when current flows where its not supposed to
a short is no current flow..

this is like the topic of lighting rods.. no such thing they are air terminals..
or
hot water heaters no such thing..we heat cold water...
there are gas water heaters,solar water heaters , electric water heaters etc...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/13/07 at 22:08:37

A short is when power goes straight to ground. Maximum current flow.

an open is a busted wire, zero current flow.

So, what DO we call it when 2 Hot wires get chafed & rub together? As long as they are both hot at the same time & the same voltage I spose it would be undetectable. IF lights are on when they aren't supposed to be on, I would guess this is what happened. Wires are crossed or just simply touching where the insulation has been wounded.
A fault? I thought that was a tennis term...or geology.

The USAF held me in classes for 9 months & force fed me electronics.

I have heard of "Ground fault Interrupter" devices. Dunno how that works.

I Hope this helps some.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 03/13/07 at 22:11:51

Thumper... you are a lost cause.

A short is any time electricity goes where it shouldn't, such as turn the switch to park and all the tail lights are on.

A fault describes anything, such as my bike has a electrical fault, the lights are out.

open circuit is no electricity is flow, such as no lights on in the rear with the engine running.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 03/14/07 at 05:57:09

A ground fault interrupter creates and open circuit when a short circuit to ground is detected.  It does this in mere milliseconds on the theory that you won't get fried that quickly...

I'm glad that we've got that straightened out.  Whew...

But when are we gonna unbolt the turn signal parts and see what's inside?

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/14/07 at 12:28:08

good one Greg for getting this thread back on track to try to help Hiker with his problem, whether it be a short or a fault or a whatever. Grin

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #25 - 03/14/07 at 13:12:02

just a little note on GFI
a Ground Fault Interupter uses a bridge type circuit to measure the current flowing on the hot (black) and neutral (white) wires. If it detects a slight difference, it opens the circuit (turns off the power) cuz it assumes current from one side or the other is leaking out to ground (or thru someone/something).

guitarists with older Fender type amps (2 prong AC plug- w ground switch) have noticed that the amp's ground switch can trip a GFI

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Hiker
YaBB Newbies

Reply #26 - 03/14/07 at 13:58:05

OK, I have taken off the tape and removed the rear turnsignal. I noticed that where the wire goes through the crome fender rail the insolation has a hole in it.I took out the whol wire. Now do I need to replace the wire or can it be fixed. And since I have the light off I should replace it. How do I det the plastic cover off of the rubber boot. and then how do I get a new one back on.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 03/14/07 at 14:12:45

check all of the wires, if the insulation is torn by stretching the wire, then it's possible that somewhere hidden under the insulation is a broken wire.

Get them each a good tug, replace any wire the stretches.

Otherwise wrap with tape or even better shrink tube.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 03/14/07 at 15:26:45

Hiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
OK, I have taken off the tape and removed the rear turnsignal. I noticed that where the wire goes through the crome fender rail the insolation has a hole in it.I took out the whol wire. Now do I need to replace the wire or can it be fixed. And since I have the light off I should replace it. How do I det the plastic cover off of the rubber boot. and then how do I get a new one back on.

Do you have the seat and the fender rail off the bike?  

I also might be a little slow but what is the "plastic cover on the rubber boot"?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #29 - 03/14/07 at 18:21:18

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thumper... you are a lost cause.

A short is any time electricity goes where it shouldn't, such as turn the switch to park and all the tail lights are on.

A fault describes anything, such as my bike has a electrical fault, the lights are out.my bad !!!not a lost cause just an old electrican that couldnt find his books!!
short is no resistance to current flow also called a fault
open is no flow at all..ground fault is to ground in this case to the frame..arc fault is sparks,fire etc..
i reserve the right to be wrong at any given time!!!

open circuit is no electricity is flow, such as no lights on in the rear with the engine running.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:55:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › electrical trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.