Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where is OFF on the petc0ck? (Read 7 times)
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Where is OFF on the petc0ck?
03/10/07 at 12:52:25

I think its called that, anyways mine says RES, PRI, and ON.  When reading the clymer manual for how to take off the fuel tank it says to put it on OFF.  Would that be this position?  This is with the arrow pointed at PRI.

Any other gotchas with removing the fuel tank on a 2001 Savage?  I'm trying to get to the carb to rejet which I assume I'd want to take it completely off and work with it on a bench.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Where is OFF on the petc0ck?
Reply #1 - 03/10/07 at 13:04:41

There is no off possition, to take the tank off, put the petc0ck in the on possition. If you have it on prime as soon as you pull the fuel line you will get fuel pouring out. In the on possition, the fuel will not come out because it is vacuum operated. The only fuel that will come out is what is already in the line.

You can actually rejet with the carb still on the bike, unless you haven't replaced the bowl screws with stainless allen heads, then it would be best to take the carb off and replace the screws while you are at it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/07 at 13:17:20

Many Jappanese petcocks with this type of valve will leak down anyway after you remove the tank. My solution to the problem has been to leave the rubber hose attatched to the petcock and pinch it off with a hemostat while you do the work. A hemostat is one of those things that look like a cross between scissores and tweesers with a locking catch to keep them closed. They can be had at most hardware stores or auto parts stores as clamps. A small pair of vise grips works as well.
My own first choice is, when available, to change it over to the old fashoned manual kind of petcock at first opportunity. This also prevents flooded engine when the automatic one gets old and leaks.
The automatic petcock is basically an undependable solution to a non existant  problem.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #3 - 03/10/07 at 13:57:42

Thanks, whats the PRI position for then?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/07 at 14:00:27

When ya stick the carb back on the bowl will be empty. Bike, she no run a too good that way, ya know? So, put it on prime & the bowl will fill without cranking the bike for an hour.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 03/10/07 at 14:01:42

PRI means Prime, it basically primes your carb by letting fuel flow freely into it before startup. If you leave it on prime, you can very effectively flood the thing.

It does come in handy after carb work to refill the bowl without having to sit there and crank and crank and crank and crank.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 03/10/07 at 14:02:25

seems we cross posted Justin.  Grin

IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #7 - 03/10/07 at 14:04:46

Right on thx guys.  Yeah I need to remove the carb becuase I am going to be installing the SS allen head screws.  

I got a dynojet kit so I need to install the needle and the new jet.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 03/10/07 at 14:09:46

No problem, you'll find alot of folks on this site are more than willing to answer questions and give advice. Good luck with the rejet.

By the way, we also like updates on the work performed.  Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/10/07 at 14:21:14

Yea, yea, yea, finally a question I can answer & along comes a BIG Buttinski to steal my thunder...

You did explain it better,,

I'm just kiddin,, I am kinda stuck in the house & lettin off steam,, no offense I promise..

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 03/10/07 at 14:28:56

I know the feelin'. I too am stuck in the house with nothin' better to do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/10/07 at 15:07:43

I'm startin to feel just a biit better. Goin out to the garage & pulling the carb. One step at a time, then come back in & sit a while..

Do I have to pull the battery to get the carb out? I want it in my hands, not down there on the bike, I can;t work all scrunched up like that,,

Wow, it just occurred to me, there is a raised deck out in front, I could park nect to the railing & stand on the ground & be working at about chest height. As long as I just tilt the carb I wont have to work from the other side? Maybe?

What happens if there is no washer under the main jet? Will it be rich>?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 03/10/07 at 17:08:18

I never pull the battery to get the carb out, but it is a pain in the butt trying to twist and turn the carb to get it free. Word of advice. Take off the choke knob, I acidentally bent mine the last time I pulled the carb during all the wisting and turning.

I never really paid attention on whether there was a washer under my jets when I rejetted, all I know is I unscrewed the old jets and screwed in the new and it works perfectly. (especially since I finally patched that hole in my header pipe)

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #13 - 03/10/07 at 20:11:05

Hey Phelonius, I'm a product of the 60's...a hemostat is for smoking roaches.  Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #14 - 03/10/07 at 21:16:01

One last question before I undertake taking out the carb, should I drain it from the screw on the bottom?  I mean when I open up this thing what am I expeting?  Personally I feel like I'm going to unscrew the top and a bunch of pieces are gonna fall out and I'm gonna say "oh sh**".

Took the fuel tank off and now I'm staring at this think and its staring back and looks quite intimidating.  I've read quite a bit from many posts so I should be prepared....  (Famous last words).  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:23:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where is OFF on the petc0ck?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.