Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
help, failed to winterize (Read 4 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: help, failed to winterize
Reply #15 - 03/08/07 at 04:24:40

well, when many of these better bass fishing lakes are built all trees are left with boat lanes cut through them at most, over time the top of the trees rots off - the fun really starts when the water level changes and now what was far below the surface is only a few inches

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 03/08/07 at 05:06:59

Gee, it sounds like you guys are up a tree without a paddle!

Tongue

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #17 - 03/08/07 at 06:20:36

i run the fuel out of every engine i plan to store for any period of time. the little bit of fuel left in the carb has never been a problem, as the fresh fuel will readily dilute it. a carb full of old fuel will absorb water, promoting corrosion, and out here in the desert, the liquid evaporates off, leaving behind a solid goop of additives to clog every port and jet in the carb. my fuel tanks get emptied also, and stored indoors if i'm concerned with outdoor moisture.
  i would drain the fuel from the carb, top the tank with premium, and let her rip! go for a 100 mile putt, burn all that old fuel out, and reload it with your fuel of choice.
  my tunnel hull only drafts 12" of water at speed and i run a stainless screw, falling off the water ski is a bigger problem.  Wink

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 03/08/07 at 07:16:31

I dare you to run a 12" draft across ToledoBend or SamRayburn at speed if either of those lakes are down a bit - hoooboy!

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #19 - 03/08/07 at 15:01:51

Shouldn't be a big  problem. i didn't put stabilizer in this winter. just started it up, ran like a champ. I did start it every couple of weeks though.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 03/08/07 at 19:53:15

franch- just start'er and ride, I'm hoping to ride this weekend also, last ran Mid Jan.  Will try to start mine mana pm, almost 40F predicted.  I would wait until almost 40 to try and start, give the battery a chance. I'm planning to heat her up with my car exhausted before hitting the start button.  We'll see what happens..good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 03/08/07 at 21:11:25

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
franch- just start'er and ride, I'm hoping to ride this weekend also, last ran Mid Jan.  Will try to start mine mana pm, almost 40F predicted.  I would wait until almost 40 to try and start, give the battery a chance. I'm planning to heat her up with my car exhausted before hitting the start button.  We'll see what happens..good luck.

There were a couple times past where I took a small electric space heater and put it under the engine to warm it up before trying to start it after a cold winter.

I'm thinking that all this is just a matter of attitude.  What ya think?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 03/09/07 at 05:28:47

Yikes. 1 degree F this am, startup may have to wait a day Angry

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 03/09/07 at 12:57:15

Is Franch ever coming back ???

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 03/09/07 at 14:04:34

i'm here Greg, thanks for your concern.

i've just been busy with a toyota pickup motor,which incidently had 2 handfulls of what i believe were hunks of nylon timing chain guide pieces in the bottom of the oil pan. there were chunks of aluminum as well .
the frustrating part is that this was the motor i was installing and had just bought from a junkyard.

wah wah wah, i digress, and there are enough cam chain discussions going on.

it's going to be a balmy weekend here in new england and i so look foreward to working on the joyfully simple savage.
i've got new pads and fluid going in, then i'll do what i gotta do to start her and ride.

i'll keep ya'll posted

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/09/07 at 17:31:29

Fanch, Man, that's a lousy deal. Hope it works out without costing you too much time & $$$.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/09/07 at 17:56:08

Franch - when installing the new pads you may well want to put some anti squeal grease on the back of them if you weren't intending to do so - fellow on site said had trouble with squealing & this was what he was advised to do. when I did mine  bought some @ the local car place (checker) in a little toothpaste type tube - enough to do the job easily.

also, when I put in new fluid & replaced pads (& installed steel brake line but that is another story) I used 800 grade grit on the rotor - another way to minimize squeal.

have fun working on the  Savage - bummer about the truck!

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 03/09/07 at 18:23:44

thanks,

i always put silicone sealant (permatex)
on the backs of automobile pads to prevent squeeling.
anti squeel grease sounds like it might be easier to clean off between pad changes.
any other pro's or cons ?
i actually bought a little tube of the grease and was wondering if it really works ?
i somehow picture it melting or washing away in summer heat/use or in wet riding conditions.

by the way the junkyard guy will refund me or get me another motor.
as far as my time into it i'm probably S.O.L. (anyone have a pregnant dog term for that ?)

i am going to try to give him a wish list of tires, batteries etc. that i know i'll need in the future.
who knows maybe he'll do the right thing

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/09/07 at 21:50:58

not had to change pads since I put in on them so can't really answer question. as far as washing off in rain - it rains so rarely here in the high desert in western CO I've never been in the wet on the bike (& no, after 25 years riding in England I'm not just a dry weather rider!) Smiley

not a squeak from my pads with it on so seems to work (these are not eom but ebc pads so not sure if that makes a difference).

just make sure you don't get any on the face of the pads!  Grin

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 03/11/07 at 09:10:30

o.k.
drained the carb bowl, and a little outta the tank then hit the start button. fiddled with the choke and vroom within about 5 seconds she was purring.

adjusting the decomp. cable over the winter helped.
pads and fluid went in without a hitch.
off i go, it's partly cloudy and 44 degrees in central mass.
yeeha

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:21:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help, failed to winterize

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.