Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Savage Dead as a Doornail (Read 10 times)
MuzzleBlast
YaBB Newbies

Orlando, FL
Savage Dead as a Doornail
03/05/07 at 17:41:57

Idling thru a parking lot last night and the trusty steed just shut off. No headlight, no neutral light, no power whatever.  Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but figure fuses would be a good place to start, if I only knew where they were. One thing that troubles me is that my buddy did both front and rear brakes for me the day before and I wonder if a wire got shorted out in the process.  Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. ???

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Savage Dead as a Doornail
Reply #1 - 03/05/07 at 17:49:24

on my 06 fuses are under seat on right side bout where your leg would be at a stop, can get to w/o pulling seat..
good luck and post what you find out...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 03/05/07 at 19:06:51

check to make sure you battery cables are tight.  Sounds like a loose negative cable.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/05/07 at 19:18:41

I can't think of anything brake related that has anything to do with fuses....well, except for brake lights anyway.

Start with the fuses but you gotta realize that fuses are just a symptom.  If they are blown, the problem is elsewhere.

If the battery cables are loose that would be good.  It beats a thousand other alternatives.

IP Logged
MuzzleBlast
YaBB Newbies

Orlando, FL
Reply #4 - 03/05/07 at 20:26:17

I'm hoping its a battery cable, too.  Unfortunately I'm stuck at work now and not able to get into it.  I will be looking at it as soon as I can, though.  Thanks for the feedback, guys.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/05/07 at 22:48:55

I had the seat off about 7 times before I sanpped to where the fuses are. Or is that where the fuse IS? Anyway, like the guy said, under the rught leg, outside the frame. In a white, squarish box on the end of a couple O wires.Almost looks like a tiny white relay. ( Man, I hope that's right. I didn't open it when I saw it.)

IP Logged
MuzzleBlast
YaBB Newbies

Orlando, FL
Reply #6 - 03/06/07 at 00:12:02

Mine's a 2001...I'll let you know if I find them in the same spot.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/06/07 at 08:30:04

You can actually slide the fuse holder (with 2 fuses) off the metal tab to inspect them.  

You don't have to remove the seat to check them...but practice never hurts Tongue

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/06/07 at 13:45:01

I have never had trouble taking seat off/getting it on, Greg - it's the tank that I find a real bugger!! (& no, I have not "trap doored"the spark plug - concerned it'd rattle too much - & even so have doubt about accessing plug even so. need selling on the idea!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/06/07 at 13:51:09

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have never had trouble taking seat off/getting it on, Greg - it's the tank that I find a real bugger!! (& no, I have not "trap doored"the spark plug - concerned it'd rattle too much - & even so have doubt about accessing plug even so. need selling on the idea!

Not what I was saying.  But to check fuses, why take it off if you don't have to?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/06/07 at 17:52:32

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

I cut a bolt off & stuch it in the right bolt hole, with some heat shrink on it. With the left side loose, the right side lifts over the Nub. It no rattle. I have accessed the plug this way. Trust me, it's a winner idea. Draining the tank gets old, fast.Rasslin it off over the petdoohickey is a drag too.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 03/06/07 at 18:29:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Not what I was saying.  But to check fuses, why take it off if you don't have to?
correct!!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 03/06/07 at 18:30:53

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I cut a bolt off & stuch it in the right bolt hole, with some heat shrink on it. With the left side loose, the right side lifts over the Nub. It no rattle. I have accessed the plug this way. Trust me, it's a winner idea. Draining the tank gets old, fast.Rasslin it off over the petdoohickey is a drag too.
you dont have to drain the tank to pull it UNLESS you dont have the stock petc0ck..

IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/07 at 19:08:41

MuzzleBlast wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Idling thru a parking lot last night and the trusty steed just shut off. No headlight, no neutral light, no power whatever.  Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but figure fuses would be a good place to start, if I only knew where they were. One thing that troubles me is that my buddy did both front and rear brakes for me the day before and I wonder if a wire got shorted out in the process.  Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. ???

You know I had the same problem. I noticed it the day before yesterday when the nuetual light kept on fading in and out. I went to start it yesterday and it wouldn't start or light wouldn't even turn on My problem was with ground connection. The connection was bad. All that needed to be done was to be cleaned. It's the black wire with white strip that comes off the neg side of the battery that goes underneath the gas tank on the left side of the bike. Hope that helps. Or it could be the Ingniton switch plug or wiring.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/07 at 19:53:03

Ahaaa! A pattern emerges... Riding nice & easy is the problem. Ride them harder. Seems obvious to me.. so, it's gotta be right. Right? Awwww, COME ONNNN You know I'm right here..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Dead as a Doornail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.