Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Cap Leak (Read 4 times)
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Gas Cap Leak
03/04/07 at 14:13:25

Hello to all the Savage brethren and sisteren.

Well today my Hunny Bunny, aka Squeak, aka my wife, dropped her Savage. The drop happened as we were cone-practicing which we try to do monthly so it happened at a slow speed so no damage to Hunny Bunny, aka Squeak, aka my lovely wife or her Savage  aka Sally.

However, when the bike was down, she started to leak gas from the GAS CAP! I didn't expect this so the question would be, is there a problem with the seal on the cap or is this normal? I would have a big problem if this is normal.  Angry

Any input is much appreciated!

BTW, a Wingerline Highway Bar is the next purchase.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Gas Cap Leak
Reply #1 - 03/04/07 at 14:23:32

The gas cap has 2 little holes in the bottom for a vent.  It has to let air in for gas to flow out.  So your little leak on the scooter, aka Sally, is normal...it's just not intended to be sideways.  Squeak has nothing to worry about, except falling...

If it didn't have a vent, then you might suck a dent in the tank Tongue

- yes, I had to go there Smiley

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/04/07 at 16:18:13

If you didn't, I woulda!  Wink

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/04/07 at 20:37:36

TVR_FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If you didn't, I woulda!  Wink

I know.  You gotta be quick around here.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 03/05/07 at 03:15:13

Man are you guys bitter or can't you let go of something?  

I thought at the time that thread was having a little fun since it was something that we never would ever know what happened.  I have to say Greg, the sarcasm is getting a little old.  

If you have an issue take it to the cafe....don't piss on everyone elses threads that have serious questions.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 03/05/07 at 03:54:20

Hey Blue, I may be missing something in this thread, but it seems to me Greg's initial answer is on topic and answers the question.  

You do need to vent a gas tank or one of two things will happen:  if you don't have enough vaccum, you will starve the engine;  if you do have enough vaccum, you will crush the tank like an empty coke can.

I personally don't think a gravity feed setup like the Savage can accomplish the second option...

Just my two cents...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/05/07 at 04:38:03

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Man are you guys bitter or can't you let go of something?  

I thought at the time that thread was having a little fun since it was something that we never would ever know what happened.  I have to say Greg, the sarcasm is getting a little old.  

If you have an issue take it to the cafe....don't piss on everyone elses threads that have serious questions.

Oh.  So sorry!  Sometimes I just forget all manner of proper protocol.  Whatever was I thinking?  

You're doin' the pissin'.  You need to lighten up, dude.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/05/07 at 04:52:11

Just to make sure this discussion stays "on topic", I smoked up a photo from my archives.

Here ya go....

"Designed to let air in, but not intended to let gas out."

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 03/05/07 at 05:18:04

hunnus2000 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hello to all the Savage brethren and sisteren.

Well today my Hunny Bunny, aka Squeak, aka my wife, dropped her Savage. The drop happened as we were cone-practicing which we try to do monthly so it happened at a slow speed so no damage to Hunny Bunny, aka Squeak, aka my lovely wife or her Savage  aka Sally.

However, when the bike was down, she started to leak gas from the GAS CAP! I didn't expect this so the question would be, is there a problem with the seal on the cap or is this normal? I would have a big problem if this is normal.  Angry

Any input is much appreciated!

BTW, a Wingerline Highway Bar is the next purchase.

Just remember that little ol' gas can out in your garage.  To pour gasoline from that can you probably find it necessary to open the little vent cap on the end.

On the other part, you, Squeak, and Sally were out practicing with pillions?  That's pretty cool.  I did the same thing with my spouse, aka Julie, and her bike, aka Bike, after she got her first one...then we took the MSF course together, which was a lot of fun too.

IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/05/07 at 06:43:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just remember that little ol' gas can out in your garage.  To pour gasoline from that can you probably find it necessary to open the little vent cap on the end.

On the other part, you, Squeak, and Sally were out practicing with pillions?  That's pretty cool.  I did the same thing with my spouse, aka Julie, and her bike, aka Bike, after she got her first one...then we took the MSF course together, which was a lot of fun too.

Thanks so much for all ya'll's help and for the Pics. That sure explains alot.

Yes, we know a guy that loves to get out in a parking lot and just practice the slow turns such as the inverted S and the 24 ft circle. We're gonna try the 18 ft next. We try and practice at least once a month and find it makes a huge difference in our riding.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 03/05/07 at 06:51:54

sometimes if i over fill a lil bit,the first right turn gets gas all over the tank Shocked hated!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/05/07 at 08:00:18

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
sometimes if i over fill a lil bit,the first right turn gets gas all over the tank Shocked hated!!

Yep.  I think the MOM states that you should only fill it to the bottom of the filler neck...but sometimes there's a little too much gas in the hose.  I hate it too 'cause it usually happens right after I wax it Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Cap Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.