Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel petc0ck question... (Read 5 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Fuel petc0ck question...
03/01/07 at 14:35:18

So I went out on the road for the first time to test out the Savage last night.  I got about 1/2 mile from home and the bike started lagging and catching over and over again.  I pulled in the clutch and the engine died.  I was going about 30 MPH in 3rd gear at the time.  I sat on the side of the road for about 5 minutes messing with the fuel petc0ck and the choke and then got it started again.  turn right around and went home.  This afternoon I tried again and the same thing happened at about the same distance from home.  This time I checked before doing anything.  The petc0ck was in the "On" position and the choke was all the way in.  I switched to reserve and it immediately fired right up.  I rode around about 5 miles on roads around my neighborhood and tested some things.

Here is what I discovered.  If I have the petcock in either eserve or Prime, it runs fine.  Had it up to 70MPH in 5th gear and that is saying alot (I am 6'3" 270lbs) and she still seemed to have a good bit more go in her.
Every time I would put the petc0ck into the "On" position I would make it about 1/2 mile before the engine would die on me.  My speed and gear made no difference to this outcome.

Any ideas on what could be the problem here?  I am not familiar with the internal working of a fuel petc0ck and therefore definately not an expert.  It seems to me that it shouldn't have anything to do with a clogged line as there is only theone line coming out of the petco0ck to the carb.  Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Robert

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Fuel petc0ck question...
Reply #1 - 03/01/07 at 15:11:55

if your tank is full of gas id pull the petc0ck and check the screen.. bike is 10 yrs old may be some gunk in there...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 03/01/07 at 18:07:08

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM on my 97.  Did the petc0ck mod (do a search on this site), pulled the screen completely and replaced with in-line fuel filter.  Neary a problem since.  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 03/01/07 at 18:08:33

BTW, if you pull the screen remember you lose reserve but gain usable fuel...

VERY important point to note, not that I'd know first hand or anything Embarrassed

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 03/02/07 at 03:10:23

is there any reason you can't pull the screen and back flush it and put it back in?

WWW   IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/02/07 at 03:46:42

screen is clean.... I took it out last night and checked it..... BTW... make VERY SURE that the tank it TOTTALLY drained before you loosen the 2 bolts holding in the petc0ck... Undecided Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/02/07 at 04:53:51

praetorian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
screen is clean.... I took it out last night and checked it..... BTW... make VERY SURE that the tank it TOTTALLY drained before you loosen the 2 bolts holding in the petc0ck... Undecided Wink

Yeah, that gives a new meaning to running out of gas doesn't it?

Were you able to open the pet0ock?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/02/07 at 08:51:09

If the screen is not blocked then the ballc0ck hole in the petc0ck must be blocked.  There are different holes on the ball for each position.  The on position hole must be blocked.      The vacuum diaphragm must be o.k. to allow the  reserve position to work.
You will need to remove and clean the petcock innards.  Drain the tank using the prime position before removing the petc0ck.

Good luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/02/07 at 17:03:10

praetorian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
make VERY SURE that the tank it TOTTALLY drained before

whoops should of mentioned that.. Embarrassed

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:34:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel petc0ck question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.