Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drag bars - are taller risers needed? (Read 8 times)
r-tru-d2
YaBB Newbies

Greenville, IL
Drag bars - are taller risers needed?
02/23/07 at 14:21:45

I'm going to outfit my wife's Savage with a set of drag bars.  I was wondering if taller risers are necessary to keep the bars from hitting the tank.  I'm looking at about 4" pullback drag bars, probably 26-28 inches wide.  Of course, once I have them installed, I might go ahead and order pullback risers if she has trouble reaching them.

Any thoughts?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Drag bars - are taller risers needed?
Reply #1 - 02/23/07 at 14:36:24

It depends what you are replacing.  The early LS650 Savages with flat bars had taller riser/clamps than those on my 98 with buckhorns.  I believe the LS650 S40s have different ones also.  I can only relate my experience.  Going from an LS650 with buckhorns to drag bars required risers to keep from hitting the tank.  I used risers with a very slight pullback and I like them a lot.  One note: some LS650s (usually those with buckhorns) have a master cylinder with the brake line's banjo fitting on the left side.  If this is your situation, be careful of the width of your bars so that you have room.  When I first tried the small flat bars from an 86 Savage, it did not work well.  With my 36" drag bars, it's no problem.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
r-tru-d2
YaBB Newbies

Greenville, IL
Reply #2 - 02/23/07 at 14:41:16

Thanks.  It's a 1987 with short risers and buckhorns.  I'm looking at maybe some Deuce style 6" risers with 1.5" pullback, and 28" bars with 4" pullback.  I'll take a look at the master cylinder to see what you're talking about.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/23/07 at 17:33:40

This thread has some pics of my bike as she was then when I tried the old flat bars.  You can see the riser/master cylinder interference.  The risers Lancer mentions are the set I bought and I like them a lot.

This thread has some pics of the 36" bars I have on her now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
amcline
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/07 at 09:51:26

is there a riser thats only about 1-2" higher than a stock 96-buckhorn riser? i like my new short drag bars but it hits the tank at lock, both ways, and dont want any pull back, only have 4" or so on the bars...

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/07 at 12:02:39

Just fitted some e-bay bargain black Harley Sporster standard bars - not quite drag, not quite buckhorn to The Lettuce. They just clear the tank on full lock without adding anything to the std yoke.
The idea was to pitch me forward a shade a get a little weight off my tailbone.  It seems to work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:31:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drag bars - are taller risers needed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.