Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is it Time to look at the cam chain? (Read 97 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Is it Time to look at the cam chain?
02/22/07 at 07:31:26

Just turned 14,000 miles. I broke it in according to the rules, mostly,, Wink  But, since, as my riding improved I seem to ride more & more hellbent. I live out in the sticks, so I get some long runs going into town & back home. Got some fun turns to play with & frankly I ride the thing to my riding capacity. I shudder to think how squidly I might be if I had a real hot rod. I am looking forward to the superbrace, I will tell you. Anyway, question is, considering the high RPM's & the fact I have downshifted & skidded the rear tire & wound the thing up tight a few times, suppose I oughta look in there & see where the adjuster is? I would LIKE to feel good about going to 15,000 & do it at oil change time, but I have seen the pics of the piston with the valve head imprint & find myself running into corners with my finger over the clutch, just in case the thing blows I want to haul in on the clutch & try to avoid going down, tho I know odds are I would bite it. ( Man, I just typed that & it's really stupid. I am 52 y/o & just can't seem to not play dangerous games. In my 20's people used to honk & scream & skid tires & flip me off when I was riding my 10 speed in traffic. Is ther a 12 step program for Adrenaline Junkies??)

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Is it Time to look at the cam chain?
Reply #1 - 02/22/07 at 08:16:55

If you have read the other posts about the camchain you have a fair change that the tensioner is at its end (
>18mm out.)
Save yourselves an expensive repair: buy a new gasket for the clutch cover and have a look inside.

My 2 bits
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/22/07 at 08:42:56

Yeah.  Check out the other topic.  Mine is at 14K and there is already a discussion going on.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

No need to go back and forth in 2 topics.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/07 at 16:16:48

I just called the shop I do bizniss with. naturally, they don't have that gasket. BUT, I will get it tomorrow, since they have a machine that cuts gaskets. I looked in every shop in town for service. No one was friendly or acted like they had a minute to even help a guy out. This place has a low L shaped counter, a couple of older guys, well, my age, LOL, work in there. The owner is almost always there & will help a guy pick stuff out of a catalog or just have a laugh. I wish everyone had such a cool shop in their neighborhood.I don't know what it will cost, but I betchya it will be less than the OFISHal,SuZuki shop, with the "I'm here, I'm not willing nor really able to help you but Maybe I will try if you are nice" people who didn't know what tire irons were when I was looking for them. I hope that girl has found a job better suited to her innate abilities, maybe a Blinking & breathing supervisor?

THANKS all, I will be digging in there soon.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 02/23/07 at 06:35:23

Better get an OEM gasket, this one is rather complicated.

RH side of picture

See Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/crankcase_cover/crankcase_cover.cfm?ma...

Item 3 @ $14.21  

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 02/23/07 at 09:10:33

justin_o_guy - the only twelve step program for adrenaline is more costly and dangerous- I believe its called LOVE. Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/23/07 at 10:21:12

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Better get an OEM gasket, this one is rather complicated.

RH side of picture

See Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/crankcase_cover/crankcase_cover.cfm?ma...

Item 3 @ $14.21  

Greetz
Kropatchek

Plus, it's not only complex but it has an adhesive around the top oil passage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/23/07 at 11:54:42

Greg, both sides? I already asked them to cut it yesterday & told the guy I would take it. I know how I don't like being jerked around & I sure don't want to jerk them around. But, I don't want a case full O metal marbles either. OHH, BTW, they cut it with a computerized machine, not a mallet or an exacto knife.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/23/07 at 12:02:19

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Greg, both sides? I already asked them to cut it yesterday & told the guy I would take it. I know how I don't like being jerked around & I sure don't want to jerk them around. But, I don't want a case full O metal marbles either. OHH, BTW, they cut it with a computerized machine, not a mallet or an exacto knife.

I believe the adhesive is on just one side.  I can't see any in the photo above, but the side you see there is the engine side.

My old one is in the garage and I'm going back out soon.  I'll check it.  I'm just not really fond of using Permatex as a gasket sealer on the cases, because it can be so difficult to remove later.

Yeah, that oil passage is the one that distributes oil to the top and bottom ends plus the tranny.  Don't want marbles Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 02/23/07 at 12:57:32

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/23/07 at 15:33:45

I know that you just wanted to beat me to it Grin

You're right.  I checked mine, and I'm sorry to say that they are sealed on both sides.  

You can probably get by with a good high temp silicone rubber though if you already have the other ones.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 02/23/07 at 15:45:46

Well you was just totter'n around and all, of course
now if I would just get off my duff pull the cover and do the dang clutch!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/23/07 at 17:19:15

They charged me $15.00 for the gasket & about $6.00 for some Three Bond liquid gasket 1104   3.5 oz tube. It will be here longer than it will be good for anything. So, I have it today, spent about the same as if I had ordered & paid freight. The bike won't roll out before it gets an oil change & a look inside. Most likely, from what I have read here, it will be after it gets a different chain.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/23/07 at 17:40:15

Mine doesn't have the mileage suggestive of replacement yet (if the mileage was correct when I bought her, that is) but I'll have a peek when I replace the clutch springs one of these days.  I already have the springs and the gasket.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/23/07 at 18:40:41

Wouldn't it be fun to meet in a central location & have a week to mess with them? A bunch O wrenching & mods all happening. I'll bet a guy could make a decent days wages just delivering ice to keep the beverages cool.. Sure would be a bunch O bikes with cam chains & clutches & carb work handled. Well, unless we spent too much on ice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is it Time to look at the cam chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.