Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long Ride, Gas Mileage and New Grips (Read 9 times)
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Long Ride, Gas Mileage and New Grips
02/20/07 at 03:57:06

This past Sunday we took a LONG ride from Dallas to Oklahoma for a 226 mile, 5.5 hour roundtrip.

The wife's Savage performed fantastic especially after the rejet and while I had fears about the gas mileage, we stopped after 110 miles and we put 1.8 gallons in Sally Savage's tank. That's a gallon to spare! Could it be?

That's a whopping 61 MPG! I realize there's alot that factors into gas mileage (wind resistance, luggage weight, star alignment blah, blah, blah) but I certainly wasn't expecting this.  Shocked

The other thing we noticed is the need for a throttle boss! Ouch!

Now I have the KURYAKYN ISO-GRIPS on my bike and will get the throttle boss but wifey wants new grips and are afraid that the KURYAKYN ISO-GRIPS will be too big for her small hands.

What do ya'll use or recommend and what will fit the Savage?

Also, have you ever considered putting a TB on the left hand side to give the clutch hand a rest?

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Re: Long Ride, Gas Mileage and New Grips
Reply #1 - 02/20/07 at 04:09:11

I have the throttle rocker. was thinking of getting one for the left side too. Then it got cold and i found my sleves and or gauntlets catch on it. So i took it off till it warms up.Now im not turning the throttle when i need to manuver the bike Grin.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/20/07 at 05:39:53

I recommend the Vista Cruise lock.

It fits on the stock grip without any trouble (I had to modify it for these Kuryakyn).

It is a drag control on the return spring.  You can still turn the throttle when it's on (lever up) but you can completely remove your hand while cruisin'.  Flip the lever down and it's off.  Simple to install and use.

Be sure to order the adapter for 1" bars.  It comes with 7/8" standard.

BTW-why would you need a TB on the left side?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 02/20/07 at 10:29:34

That kinda milage (and better) is possible with the LS650 ... have gotten it on Runs with little to no "stop 'n go" traffic and a relatively constant speed.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/20/07 at 12:14:00

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That kinda milage (and better) is possible with the LS650 ... have gotten it on Runs with little to no "stop 'n go" traffic and a relatively constant speed.
in the saddle for 5.5 hours??thats just over 40 mph..think my o6 would get that kind of mileage at those speeds.4 hours would be 56 mph...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/21/07 at 06:29:29

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
in the saddle for 5.5 hours??thats just over 40 mph..think my o6 would get that kind of mileage at those speeds.4 hours would be 56 mph...

I'm betting that wasn't pure saddle time and that a break or three went into the time spent.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
hunnus2000
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/07 at 07:27:00

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'm betting that wasn't pure saddle time and that a break or three went into the time spent.

Actually it was 5 hours in the saddle with a 20 minute gas/coffee break and two quick stops at bridges to take a couple of pics.

You see, it was our first REAL long ride and we made the mistake of starting out around 11:30 and before we knew it the sun started going down it was getting cold and we were a LONG way from home so we hightailed it back home. We pulled in at exactly 5:00pm exhausted.

BTW, I want the TB on both sides to give my left hand a break and to balance out the look.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 02/21/07 at 08:16:29

thumperclone, I average 50-55mpg most of the time ... once last year, on a 250km or so Ride I got in the high 60's ... was a Sunday morning on a 2-lane coastal road, very little traffic, with speeds between 50-80kph, 3rd & 4th gears mostly ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 02/21/07 at 08:42:59

I had a throttle rocker on my Savage until it fell off (in a heavy rainstorm). Didn't really miss it since I only went about 100 miles between stops on the Savage (at 60-65 mph). I have the new version (not real sure on the brand or model) on my Concours and when I was riding for several hours straight this summer at higher speeds it was really nice to have. Since your're riding about 2 1/2 hours straight on the Savage, I think the throttle rocker would be OK.

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/07 at 11:31:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I recommend the Vista Cruise lock.

It fits on the stock grip without any trouble (I had to modify it for these Kuryakyn).

It is a drag control on the return spring.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/RightGrip_1261.jpg

can you give any more info or where you got it from as this could be what I need, does the part under the switch belong to it aswell ?

thanks
allan.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/22/07 at 11:39:09

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
can you give any more info or where you got it from as this could be what I need, does the part under the switch belong to it aswell ?

thanks
allan.

Simple web search...

Here's one place.
Here's another

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/22/07 at 12:03:48

Thanks savage_rob got one on order

allan.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home