Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #90 - 02/21/07 at 13:23:39

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
New card?  Great.  Let's go shoppin' Grin

Sure would like to,no card. Haven't used my old one for a couple of weeks, cause i want to pay it off with the new one. I had to make a payment for the old one cause the computers went down at the new bank for 4 days and slowed everything down on the new one. Now it's floating around somewhere in the postal system, if it isn't being used by somebody else by now. Kinda reminds me of the refinance of my house that should have been done three weeks ago. They made me an appointment to sign the papers and when I got there they didn't have all the paper work done. Reschedule. I got there yesterday and the payoff figures were all wrong. Finally get it straight and sign. I get home and in the mail is a letter saying make an appointment to sign my loan papers???? Also got the PIN number for the "non exsisting" charge card at the same time.Murphys Law aint got nothing on me.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #91 - 02/21/07 at 15:47:20

anyone know if an 18 tooth front sprocket would fit in the savage, or would it be to big?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #92 - 02/21/07 at 16:18:52

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
anyone know if an 18 tooth front sprocket would fit in the savage, or would it be to big?

Don't really know. They  list one for a gs550, but don't know about fit on Savage.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #93 - 02/21/07 at 17:44:46

I am going to ask JT sprockets for the out diameter of the 17 and 18 tooth fronts to see if they fit. I am thinking an 18/45 ratio might be a good combo, giving a ratio of 2.50. I am also hoping to find a high friction clutch and will change to tighter springs no matter what.

any thoughts?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #94 - 02/21/07 at 18:08:24

I will check my catalogs...I know you can get those domestically.

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #95 - 02/21/07 at 18:10:44

I am going to ask JT sprockets for the out diameter of the 17 and 18 tooth fronts to see if they fit. I am thinking an 18/45 ratio might be a good combo, giving a ratio of 2.50. I am also hoping to find a high friction clutch and will change to tighter springs no matter what.

any thoughts?

I was think of the same thing, but I figured the German kit had the 17 for a reason,no room maybe????I don't know if you can get a better clutch,I imagine you can, but I know LANCER can get heavier springs. Lancer would be the one to ask.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #96 - 02/21/07 at 18:50:00

I emailed them about an hour ago, so i'll let you all know what they say. Oh and any idea how long of a 530 chain to get?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #97 - 02/21/07 at 19:12:42

I emailed them about an hour ago, so i'll let you all know what they say. Oh and
any idea how long of a 530 chain to get?

I don't have a clue, I figure I'll just buy a super long one and shorten it, if I ever get the gears.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #98 - 02/21/07 at 19:28:25

I went and took some measurements...I predict that a sprocket with the same number of teeth (530 chain) will fit on the front of the Savage as the current pulley.  They have the same pitch, so a 20 tooth front SHOULD fit with no problem whatsoever.  I don't know why the
German kit only has a 17-tooth front but I'm about ready to buy a couple sprockets just to prove my theory Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #99 - 02/21/07 at 19:33:20

HUTCH HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!

hey someone needs to rip a rear pully off and measure it.!!!!!!!!

There are two suzuki sprockets used in the late 70's early 80's one is for spoked which has been the topic of discussion with a 64mm hole and 84 mm bolt circle diameter.  The other one is for mag rims with a 76mm hole and a 100mm bolt circle.

I just dug up my notes and they indicate from past measurements (wheel and pulley on the bike) the savage would be a 76mm hole with a 100mm bolt circle.
THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFIRMED BY SOMEONE.  I just don't have time to rip mine apart right now.

That said here is the good news.  Both Dennis kirk and parts unlimited carry a large selection (parts unlimited is larger) of JT sprockets.

Better yet it appears if the 76mm/100mm is true than there is a HUGE selection of sprockets available for you.

If I can find the time tomorrow morning I can block my bike up and rip off the rear wheel and settle this once and for all.  

Let me know if you want me to.  (PS my wrenching time is from 4:30am to 6am so let me know tonight if you get this)

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #100 - 02/21/07 at 19:43:47

Quote:
There are two suzuki sprockets used in the late 70's early 80's one is for spoked which has been the topic of discussion with a 64mm hole and 84 mm bolt circle diameter.  The other one is for mag rims with a 76mm hole and a 100mm bolt circle.

That would be good news.  I don't think you'll need to do any wrenching to find this out, I'll head out and take some measurements now...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #101 - 02/21/07 at 19:48:49

CONFIRMED!!!  100mm bolt circle.  I guess that IS good news.

Hutch, look at the cast rim sprockets and take your pick Grin

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #102 - 02/21/07 at 20:21:06

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
CONFIRMED!!!  100mm bolt circle.  I guess that IS good news.

Hutch, look at the cast rim sprockets and take your pick Grin

Well that is good news. So what I'm gathering now is that you need a gs550 front sprocket(both allan and smokin_blue said that) and a gs550 back, but for a cast wheel, not a spoked wheel like some one said. I know that JT listed the spoke wheel as 84mm bolt circle. I would have been bummed if I would have ordered the ones for the spoke wheel and only the front would have fit. Thanks a bunch!!!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #103 - 02/21/07 at 20:41:08

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
HUTCH HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!

hey someone needs to rip a rear pully off and measure it.!!!!!!!!

I just dug up my notes and they indicate from past measurements (wheel and pulley on the bike) the savage would be a 76mm hole with a 100mm bolt circle.
THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFIRMED BY SOMEONE.  I just don't have time to rip mine apart right now.

That said here is the good news.  Both Dennis kirk and parts unlimited carry a large selection (parts unlimited is larger) of JT sprockets.

Better yet it appears if the 76mm/100mm is true than there is a HUGE selection of sprockets available for you.

If I can find the time tomorrow morning I can block my bike up and rip off the rear wheel and settle this once and for all.  

Let me know if you want me to.  (PS my wrenching time is from 4:30am to 6am so let me know tonight if you get this)

smokin_blue, don't tear your bike apart, it has been confirmed. Savage has the 76mm hole and 100mm bolt pattern. Thank you for the offer and all the help. Much appreciated.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #104 - 02/21/07 at 21:57:20

So that picture that I got from the JT site was wrong at 84 mm?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.