Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #45 - 02/19/07 at 10:53:07

Well, I just checked our local dealer online.  They have the same microfiche and part numbers as Ron Ayers.  So, I guess the part numbers ARE the Suzuki part numbers.

Here's the microfiche for the K-5.  You can make your own search.

http://www.beavertonmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #46 - 02/19/07 at 11:01:08

hummm - have a quite early '95 (built in late '94) and a '02 - might should move the tach and see if the different 5th is indeed different ratio

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 02/19/07 at 11:14:20

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
hummm - have a quite early '95 (built in late '94) and a '02 - might should move the tach and see if the different 5th is indeed different ratio

Hey.  Great idea.

Might have a little bit of speedo error with the older one, but should be interesting.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 02/19/07 at 11:20:18

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Here is the break down:
Lancers figures(stock ratio)----------------17/45 sprocket
.I'll just keep playing with rear sprockets until I get a good compromise of acceleration and less RPM at 80mph.

Please keep in mind that the sprockets are stock, but the tire is not.  It is the next size larger 140/90-15 which has a diameter of 1/2-3/4" larger than a stock tire.
Instead of a circumference of 77.5", the stocker is going to be about 75.9"...depending on manufacturer, because they do vary in size.  Anyway, that works out to a hair over 2%.  Only 120 rpm at 6000.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 02/19/07 at 11:23:07

Oh yeah...Reelthing just reminded me of something I forgot to mention....

Different tire sizes will change your actual speed, but it won't change your indicated speed since the drive is in the tranny.  (Some of us may remember the days of a speedo drive on the front wheel)

So, at the same rpms, a larger tire will make you go faster, but you won't know it.

Did anyone mention this already?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #50 - 02/19/07 at 11:48:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Oh come on.  You figure that the "Fickle Finger of Fate" only points at you?  It gets pointed at me all the time.

You have the same gears.  Put in some bigger jets and a freer flowing pipe.  That puppy will run better.

Greg, my bike only had 100 miles on it when it got the Jardine muffler,152.5 main,55 pilot and KN drop in filter, and no mod needed to the white spacer cause it pull like he11. Pilot screw out 1and1/2 turns. No backfires just a nice crackle on decell. The first thing I do to every bike I have ever owned, including my first bike,Honda Sport 50, was to put a pipe on and rework carb and make it breathe, once that was done I played with the gear raios to suite my purpose. Some bikes I even had whole tire and wheel/sprocket assemblies set up for a quick swap to run trail, or run the street, just like I did with my hot rods. It now has 2000 miles on it. It pulls trough town(25MPH in 5th) with no need to down shift to have plenty of accel once it is out of town., but like I said it is screaming bloody murder at 80MPH and wide open , no throttle left, it's done. ELFINE. NADA.  
  ALSO, for every tooth you add or subtract off the rear sprocket there will be a change of 2.5%. I added that to the two charts on the first page so the info is all together.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #51 - 02/19/07 at 12:03:47

anyone know if a sixth gear, i.e  smaller than our fifth gear, from another suzuki model and year could be swapped in for our fifth to give an overdrive?

I dont know if the splines on the shafts will line up, but i'd be willing to split the case to swap if anyone could tell me where to find an interchange catalog.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #52 - 02/19/07 at 12:07:38

Hey greg, where you located? I graduated from Tigard High right near there. Used to drive past Bob's all the time. Now I am on the face of the SUn in Phx.

Well, I just checked our local dealer online.  

http://www.beavertonmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #53 - 02/19/07 at 12:16:48

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Now I am on the face of the SUn in Phx.

Could you UPS overnite some of that to Michigan,PLEASE!!!

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #54 - 02/19/07 at 12:25:14

sorry we can't afford any it's been cold here... it was only 90 on Sat  Grin Grin Grin Grin.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #55 - 02/19/07 at 12:58:04

sorry we can't afford any it's been cold here... it was only 90 on Sat  Grin Grin Grin Grin.

Today is the first day in seven weeks it made UP to 32 degrees here in my neck of the woods. 2 more months and I might get to ride?????

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 02/19/07 at 13:40:55

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
but like I said it is screaming bloody murder at 80MPH and wide open , no throttle left, it's done. ELFINE. NADA.  

ALSO, for every tooth you add or subtract off the rear sprocket there will be a change of 2.5%. I added that to the two charts on the first page so the info is all together.

I don't know.  Since you only have 2000 on the clock, did you ride it like that during break-in?  

Do you have complete throttle travel?

AND, as I said in the previous post, you'll need a GPS to see that change in speed, anyway Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 02/19/07 at 13:42:50

Hey greg, where you located? I graduated from Tigard High right near there. Used to drive past Bob's all the time. Now I am on the face of the SUn in Phx.

We live off of Scholls Ferry Rd., right near the Beaverton/Tigard city line Smiley

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #58 - 02/19/07 at 14:22:37

I don't know.  Since you only have 2000 on the clock, did you ride it like that during break-in?  

Do you have complete throttle travel?

Tongue

Broke it in easy, in stages up to 1000 miles, then just drove like I normally would. I checked throttle travel, I even checked to see if the brakes were dragging.or the axles were to tight and pressing the bearings to hard. You name it, I checked it. Bike is even lighter than when stock and I only weigh 150. 80MPH that's all she wrote.
With the 17/45 sprocket it works out to a 10% change and if you can find a 44 rear it would be a 12.5% change.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #59 - 02/19/07 at 14:58:02

We live off of Scholls Ferry Rd., right near the Beaverton/Tigard city line Smiley

Nice to hear from someone back home. I get homesick all the time here, It's all brown all the time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:12:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.