mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #331 - 03/28/07 at 02:17:02

Hi guys,
I could have sworn I had posted on this thread yesterday, but can't find my post... ???

I still have the typical belt drive on my 1988 4speed, and as you will guess top gear, being a 4th gear, is rather short legged.

I am interested in the chain drive converion myself, but cannot remember the final drive ratio with the belt drive, I'd like to make it a good 10% longer ratioed, and get a little more speed at my cruising 4000 rpm.

Thanks

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #332 - 03/28/07 at 02:32:33

Actually, I had posted but in the wrong Section, Tech Support and all that, got a finger wagged at me
Wink
Still, I would need to know if I can venture out to a motorcycle junkyard and come away with what model sprockets, and how many teeth.
Grin
Thanks all.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #333 - 03/28/07 at 06:41:19

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hi guys,
I could have sworn I had posted on this thread yesterday, but can't find my post... ???

I still have the typical belt drive on my 1988 4speed, and as you will guess top gear, being a 4th gear, is rather short legged.

I am interested in the chain drive converion myself, but cannot remember the final drive ratio with the beltdrive, I'd like to make it a good 10% longer ratioed, and get a little more speed at my cruising 4000 rpm.

Thanks

Believe it or not the final ratio on your 4 speed is LONGER than the 5 speed, not much ,but it is.To get a 10% longer ratio you would need to go to a 17/45 sprocket, or a 16/43 for a 9% longer ratio. All the info I posted in the tech document section. If you want to run at 4000 rpm with either of these sprocket ratios, you will be going about 70- 75mph. I don't know why junkyard parts won't work but the price of new is not that bad. Be sure to get an axtra FRONT sprocket to make the spacer you need on the trans shaft. It is all explained in the tech section with pics. Hope this helps.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #334 - 03/28/07 at 11:21:11

Hi Hutch
Thanks to you and Tbalam for all you investgation in this converting.
Been following this message since start and today I bought both 17 and the 43 and a 14 as a spacer, going to fix that one tomorow, removed everything and remember you wrote that to loosen the 32 mm nut go lefty, do you meen like a normal nut and the bike is moving forward, am I right? The nut is stuck as hell.
Did put som WD 40 on tonight and hope is going loose tomorow.
Might have to go for heat as well.
But my question is, is it right that the bike moves forward when I try to remove the nut?
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #335 - 03/28/07 at 12:36:36

Odar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hi Hutch
Thanks to you and Tbalam for all you investgation in this converting.
Been following this message since start and today I bought both 17 and the 43 and a 14 as a spacer, going to fix that one tomorow, removed everything and remember you wrote that to loosen the 32 mm nut go lefty, do you meen like a normal nut and the bike is moving forward, am I right? The nut is stuck as hell.
Did put som WD 40 on tonight and hope is going loose tomorow.
Might have to go for heat as well.
But my question is, is it right that the bike moves forward when I try to remove the nut?
Odar in Sweden
Sorry to hear that you have the same problem I did. Yes the bike will try to move forward when trying to take it OFF. I put a bar wrapped with tape through the back wheel on TOP of the swing arm and IN FRONT of the shocks to keep it from rolling forward. I was going to use heat to loosen it, but didn't want to FRY my transmission seal. I finally loaded up the bike on a trailer and took it to a tire store. They had enough air pressure to get it off with an air wrench and a 32mm. It was loaded with locktite(yellow) from the factory. Hope this helps!!   Hutch

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #336 - 03/28/07 at 13:46:32

Hi again
I went out to the garage one more time this evening and guess. I got it lose, used the same tecnic that you did put a bar throught the wheel and of it went even if it was tight for a coupel of turns, so tomorow I will go on removing the rear wheel and start to put everything back on. Any other problems that I should think of during the way ?
What did you use to cut the 40 mm piece out of the 13 teeth spocket?
My 14 teeth spocket is 7,5 mm thick hope its the same as the 13.
I do have some machins at my job that I can use.
BTW I have 2 minuted ride to my lokal Suzuki shop and they had all the stuff at the shop, thats great even if it was a bit more expencive.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #337 - 03/28/07 at 14:11:12

Hi again
I went out to the garage one more time this evening and guess. I got it lose, used the same tecnic that you did put a bar throught the wheel and of it went even if it was tight for a coupel of turns, so tomorow I will go on removing the rear wheel and start to put everything back on. Any other problems that I should think of during the way ?
What did you use to cut the 40 mm piece out of the 13 teeth spocket?
My 14 teeth spocket is 7,5 mm thick hope its the same as the 13.
I do have some machins at my job that I can use.
BTW I have 2 minuted ride to my lokal Suzuki shop and they had all the stuff at the shop, thats great even if it was a bit more expencive.
Odar
From the sound of it Suzuki makes CHEAP sprockets. The spacer has to be 10mm thick, and that is what JT Sprockets are. I took my sprocket to a shop where I used to work and they let me cut it out on their metal jig saw. The only other thing to remember is to unhook your brake cable at the rear wheel,put in the bottom shock bolt and spacer (if you don't use belt guard) back in BEFORE putting back tire on and be sure to line up the brake hub in slot. Everything is covered if you look in the Tech/Document section under chain conversion.  Hope this helps!!  Hutch

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #338 - 03/28/07 at 14:40:32

Hey Hutch, I think you said this, but why can't you use a metal washer with the correct thickness and center size?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #339 - 03/28/07 at 14:48:26

I bought the JT sprockets
Went out and measured again, at the center of the sprocket its exactly 8,5 mm thick.
The part number on the bag is JTF513.14
Material High carbon steel
and on the bag it say www.jtsprockets.com
Must be the right one?
Have not removed the fron sprocket to measure,its almost midningt here, but I dont want to cut out the 40 mm tomorow if its not the right width of the sprocket.
Could it be 8,5 instead of 10 that you claim that you have?
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #340 - 03/28/07 at 14:51:13

Odar, I think you could take up the extra space with a steel washer.  I still can't see why you can't use a smooth center bore since the stock spacer isn't splined  ???

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #341 - 03/28/07 at 15:25:11

I bought the JT sprockets
Went out and measured again, at the center of the sprocket its exactly 8,5 mm thick.
The part number on the bag is JTF513.14
Material High carbon steel
and on the bag it say www.jtsprockets.com
Must be the right one?
Have not removed the fron sprocket to measure,its almost midningt here, but I dont want to cut out the 40 mm tomorow if its not the right width of the sprocket.
Could it be 8,5 instead of 10 that you claim that you have?
Odar

If you have JT sprockets then you should be fine. Just put your sprocket on and slide the other sprocket on and see if you need to add spacer, or sand down your spacer like I did. That should  tell you the whole story. As long as the toothed washer JUST hangs on the spline, it will tighten up without any sloppiness in the assembly.If it looks good, go ahead and make your spacer out of the small sprocket. I was going buy another persons measurement and didn't use a mircometer. I did have  to disc sand a slight amount of metal off both sides of my spacer, so that might have brought the measurement down to what you stated.7.5-8.5mm.  Let me know if you have any problems.  Hutch

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #342 - 03/29/07 at 03:52:23

Right, Hutch, so I guess my belt drive ratio is around 2.9 / 3:1

So, if I bought a 43 tooth rear sprocket, I could toy with...
a 16/17 front, to have a 9/11% longer ratio (2,6895/2,529),
plus
a 14 tooth, to have the original ratio (3,07)
a 13 tooth for a traffic light scorcher bobber (3.30)

Correct?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #343 - 03/29/07 at 06:21:28

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Right, Hutch, so I guess my belt drive ratio is around 2.9 / 3:1

So, if I bought a 43 tooth rear sprocket, I could toy with...
a 16/17 front, to have a 9/11% longer ratio (2,6895/2,529),
plus
a 14 tooth, to have the original ratio (3,07)
a 13 tooth for a traffic light scorcher bobber (3.30)

Correct?
You got the idea!!! The stock belt is 2.96. The 17 gives you a 14.5% change. That is what I run mostley and it works great for my 150 pound butt. You can use the 13 and the chain still has room to drop down on the sprocket, without hitting the 40mm spacer, close, but chain will not hit spacer and jump off front sprocket. You can see this in the pic in the tech document section. I have the 13 tooth I cut out sitting on top of chain. Have fun playing around, I am.  
Hutch

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Suzuki GS500E works OK?
Reply #344 - 03/30/07 at 01:12:47

OK Hutch, I have found a german seller with a brand new Suzuki GS500E chain&sprocket set, he claims "No. of teeth are 16/39" which is 2.4375...
...a bit too long, you would think...
20% longer means my 4000rpm cruising would become 3200rpm.

Anyway, for basic information, you said there is full compatibility between the Savage and GS550/GSX models of +/- the same years... what about the GS500?

Thx, Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.