Send Topic Print
chain drive conversion (Read 179 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #315 - 03/25/07 at 09:16:33

I bought the heaveir springs CSK24 I think from ronayers. THey were way smaller than the one I currently have. I thin kthat the po may have rigged some very stiff springs from some other source.

I certainly will be taking the shims out, this week some time. I just noticed doing a search that I think the po put the vesrah springs on mine. They are probably 50% stiffer than stock. That's likely why I have never had clutch slip problems.

Bike bandit sells the vesrah plates and springs for the savage.

VC330- Plates - 79.95
SK330- springs - 10.95

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #316 - 03/25/07 at 09:39:20

Quote:
Barry, huh!!!

"as the steel deflects, it's tensile strength increases"
Not correct, as steel deflects the tensile stress increases.  Once it reaches its limit, it bends.  And if bent more, it snaps.  In fatigue, steel will reach its limit at about half its yields stress, the point at which it will bend.

Under stress, steel will typically harden until failure. This is called the "strain hardening region".   After it reaches its ultimate strength, steel will quickly weaken until ultimate failure.  More brittile materials will snap prior to hardening.  In steel, this usually only applies to high carbon content steel.  Spring steel is typically more ductile and should harden under stress.  Although, I've never tested the stock springs used on a Savage.  Widipedia has a decent picture explaining this principle here:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stress_v_strain_A36_2.png#file

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #317 - 03/25/07 at 11:06:27

Your second answer is better than the first.
But I hope my springs are made of this stuff.

I'm more worried about fatigue stress.  I've done a lot of testing and seen a lot of failures of springs that were designed right to know that you don't know what life to expect until it dies.

Even though the cycles are low (how often do you pull in the clutch) for every 10% increase in max stress you lose a factor of 10 of life.  This would be ok if the springs have infinite (or 1 million cycles which ever came first) life by design.  But if they are designed for 1000 cycles and you reduce by 10, then you have only 100 cycles of life.  Hope you make it home.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #318 - 03/25/07 at 13:48:37

good job you guys!!!
any rpm stats???b4 and after>>mpg ?? cost of mod??
8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #319 - 03/25/07 at 15:38:44

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
good job you guys!!!
any rpm stats???b4 and after>>mpg ?? cost of mod??
8)
RPM stats and cost is listed in the tech/document section. It is hard to tell mileage without a correct speedo, but I know it has improved. I have this one circuit I make that used to take 1 gallon of gas and it took less this time, and I went to a bigger main and pilot jet AFTER the conversion. So that something in it's self.    Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #320 - 03/25/07 at 15:52:28

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I bought the heaveir springs CSK24 I think from ronayers. THey were way smaller than the one I currently have. I thin kthat the po may have rigged some very stiff springs from some other source.

I certainly will be taking the shims out, this week some time. I just noticed doing a search that I think the po put the vesrah springs on mine. They are probably 50% stiffer than stock. That's likely why I have never had clutch slip problems.

Bike bandit sells the vesrah plates and springs for the savage.

VC330- Plates - 79.95
SK330- springs - 10.95
Hutch here. Have you had a chance to get anymore miles on the conversion? Just a thought, but it would be nice to have the info on the clutch plates and springs in the tech/document section right along with the conversion info, just in case someone does have a problem, or wants to avoid a problem. Have fun, I sure am.  

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #321 - 03/25/07 at 17:45:42

I got about 30 miles on her today, it was 80 and a perfect day for a ride. It feels to me that where I was in fifth is now where I am in fourth. In short I have essentially gained an extra gear. Now at 70+ it is a very comfortable RPM. THough I have noticed that she vibrates a lot more, But that might be jujst because of the extra load on the engine.

Shimming the clutch was a bad idea for me, like i said earlier I think I have the high friction springs anyway. So I'll be taking the clutch cover off this week and removing the shims, Other than that the mod was a complete success. I am still thinking of going down to a 15 or 16 tooth front, just to take some of my fat assed load off the engine.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #322 - 03/26/07 at 06:59:03

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I got about 30 miles on her today, it was 80 and a perfect day for a ride. It feels to me that where I was in fifth is now where I am in fourth. In short I have essentially gained an extra gear. Now at 70+ it is a very comfortable RPM. THough I have noticed that she vibrates a lot more, But that might be jujst because of the extra load on the engine.

Shimming the clutch was a bad idea for me, like i said earlier I think I have the high friction springs anyway. So I'll be taking the clutch cover off this week and removing the shims, Other than that the mod was a complete success. I am still thinking of going down to a 15 or 16 tooth front, just to take some of my fat assed load off the engine.

I ordered the 16 tooth(2.69ratio) and it should be here this week. I didn't notice any extra vibes, but that could be because it was 45-50 degrees when I have been riding and I was freezing(blood thinners stink)anyway. They say 70 degrees today, so if I can avoid the "scattered" thundershowers I will see. I'm thinking that the 16 would bring me back to 4th gear at 25mph in town. I would still shave around 500RPM off at 70-75mph.  If I get a chance I will change to the 14 today and see if it still will use the same chain. The 16 and 14 will probably use the same chain, and that might be the way I will go. I don't need to go 100mph, just want lower r's at highway cruise. All I know is I like the idea of being able to "choose" my gearing and being able to fix the chain on the side of the road. I  agree that it is a success and for under $100(less o-ring chain) you can buy the 13 for the spacer and the 17, 16, and 14, along with the 43 rear, for whatever you want to do.   Ride safe      Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #323 - 03/26/07 at 13:21:12

Just got back from a mileage check. I used the state map distances and the signs on Interstate 75. 264 miles round trip at an average of 75-80mph, did use third lane on occasion(80-85mph). Total gas consumption, 4.5 gallons.I used to get 50-52 mpg on the back roads(55-60mph) with a 152.5 main and 55 pilot. I am now running a bigger 155 main and flying down the interstate at 75-80mph and getting 58.5mpg.No screaming rpms, just a smooth level groove that it falls into. I must also mention that it was calm when I left this morning, but on the way back I was bucking 20-25mph wind gusts. Even with the wind gust there was no need to downshift to pass any vehicle, just roll on the throttle.On two lane black top at 50-55mph it is just an easy lope, and all that is needed is a twist of the throttle to get a STRONG, STEADY acceleration, no down shift needed. This is the best $95 I ever spent. WHOLE NEW BIKE. The 14 tooth sprocket makes it a little quicker off the line than stock, but I was all the way to end of adjustment and chain was not as tight as it should be. If you ran the 16 tooth(2.69ratio) and 14 tooth you will be able to use the same chain. I have the feeling that I will DEFINATELY be running the 17/43(2.53ratio) 99.9% of the time. This is just what I was looking for, PERFECT for me.   Later Hutch

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #324 - 03/26/07 at 20:11:22

Well,, it is just cool as heck knowing I will have a bike I can play with how I want. Soon as I get it ironed out, carb tuned & cam chaine & cam, get a few miles on that set of mods & I th8nk I will go this way. By tyhen the belt will be getting a bit tired I expect. I dont knw how many full on starts a belt takes before it cries "Uncle"..  Chain drives are more efficient, the frictiuon losses of the belt vary from bike to bike. The quieter, the better. Mine speaks to me too much.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #325 - 03/27/07 at 00:20:15

Just want to throw in another BIG thanks to you guys for hammering this thing out. Having this info available may allow me to stick with these simple bikes I really like. I WAS looking at bigger (read that heavier, more expensive and complicated bikes) now I'm thinking I'll keep the pair of these around!

Now that I have two of these bikes, I'm thinking chop/bob for town and country, and a 'road' bike. At least one will get the chain drive. Probably both! A chopper that will rocket to 70 with dropped gearing, and a road bike that will putt-putt at 75-80mph sounds like a fine duo to me!

This opens up great opportunities for me. I can put the pair of these on a small trailer, and invite friends on overnight or weekend trips like I used to do with dirt bikes. A pair of Savages on a 6'x10' trailer should only weigh in at 1500# - 2000# or so. My wife has already offered to drive the Envoy for road support on a long ride up HWY #1 that I've owed myself since 1970.

Sincerly in your debt,

John K

P.S. As Hutch led the way on actually achiving results, and was first to get-r-done on the cheap, I've decided to make a donation of $20 to the forum in his name. Please let the donation records reflect as such.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #326 - 03/27/07 at 01:35:19

say when on the hiway #1 you might get some company

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #327 - 03/27/07 at 06:09:58

Thanks Rockin _John, I appreciate the gesture!!!
On your chopper/bobber I would suggest using the 14/45 combo. It gives you a ratio of 3.21 versus the 14/43  and a 3.07 ratio. When I tried the 14/43 out it was a slightly better take off than stock 2.96, but not a whole lot. Just a suggestion. I do love the 17/43 for the highway, it is perfect for my weight and needs. Thanks again!!     Hutch

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #328 - 03/27/07 at 08:17:11

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
say when on the hiway #1 you might get some company

Will do.

I recall that a couple of people commented on that route in a "dream ride" subject some time back.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #329 - 03/27/07 at 09:15:16

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanks Rockin _John, I appreciate the gesture!!!
On your chopper/bobber I would suggest using the 14/45 combo. It gives you a ratio of 3.21 versus the 14/43  and a 3.07 ratio. When I tried the 14/43 out it was a slightly better take off than stock 2.96, but not a whole lot. Just a suggestion. I do love the 17/43 for the highway, it is perfect for my weight and needs. Thanks again!!     Hutch

That's the beauty of the whole chain thing... you can have it any way you want it! Back about 1975 my car conked out on me. I was broke, and my Yamaha DT-250 enduro bacame my primary transport. I took the dirt knobs off that I'd had on it, and put some more streetable tires back on it; then geared it WAY up by changing both sprockets. The thing would go around 100mph! I was afraid to ride it often over about 85mph though; because it got pretty twitchy above that.

But with the Savage, like you, I'm not looking for a land speed record. It would just be nice to have at least one of the bikes set to Putt along at Interstate speed.

The sad part of all this is: The Savage is my first Belt driven bike, and I was really enjoying that aspect. I've had shaft drive bikes, and though they have their benefits, the distractions really bothered me. If Suzuki had used a seriously wide ratio transmission in the Savage in the first place, all of this modification would not be necessary, and the belt could stay.

Ahh... Well, that's what has made me a DIY'er all my life anyways. Seems I could never be happy with the way things are made, or someone else's work. It's the curse of wanting to have things exactly the way YOU want them. The rewards in having exactly what you want at your own craft have usually been well worth the effort, in my experience.

Having done a lot of industrial prototype work gives me a keen appreciation for the labor saved by those who light the path for others to follow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.