chain drive conversion (Read 179 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #270 - 03/18/07 at 10:54:13

I have now listed the chain conversion in the TECH section. I will be posting pics( if my son gets here before the sun goes down) and gear ratio charts with rpm changes. as soon as possible. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN for all the help and encouragement. Even the discouraging  remarks-------MADE ME THAT MORE DETERMINED.!!!!  
RIDE SAFE, HAVE FUN AND THANK YOU EVERYONE
  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #271 - 03/18/07 at 13:43:46

While I have no plans (yet) to convert my Savage to chain drive, ever since I leaned of the LS400 I've been curious ... and have read all here at suzukisavage.com on the subject ... and am AMAZED with the work and engineering know-how of Hutch and others who have decided to follow this thru ... CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!!!!!! This Website is the BEST!!!!
A business op for one of you techs might be to offer "Chain Drive Conversion Kits" c/w chain, spockets and spacers ... just a thought ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #272 - 03/18/07 at 13:50:16

CHAIN CONVERSION ROAD TEST. I got tired of waiting for my son and his camera and put old bars back on. If I miss a letter don't mind me it is 30' witha wind I'M FROZE. Put 30 miles on it with the 17/43 sprockets. Tried all types of roads. It still has good acceleration(less than stock). By the calculations I made before leaving the speedo is reading 5-7mph slow up to 50mph and 10-15mph slow at above that. If that is the case that means I was doing 95mph on the expressway. Passing cars is a down shift on the e-way. Drove into Frankenmuth to try the hills in town at 25mph, had to run in 3rd up hill so as not to "chug" the motor, level ground through town 4th.Chain does not hit belt cover bracket like I thought. It might if chain becomes loose, and probably will with the shorter 14 tooth sprocket. Cruising at about what used to be my 55mph feel(reads47) is just a nice easy lope on the engine. At 75-80(reads 65-70) the motor runs at a nice steady droan with out all those RPM's like before. I know I was going with the flow of traffic on the e-way and I said before that is 80mph in the center lane. At about 70-75mph in the slow lane it just purrs down the road. All in all I LIKE IT. It reminds me more of the gearing of the harleys I used to ride, with only a down shift to pass. A lot less rpm's on the interstate and still good power at slower speeds. At 55 on the back roads, it sounds like it is just over a high idle. In the tight twisties around the Flint River I found that 4th gear gave me the same acceleration through the curves as 5th used to, still fun as all get out. Should extend motor life, and increase mpg. I didn't try any hole shots(not why I did this) but I didn't feel any clutch slip and it is far from being a dog off the line when taking off. No need to slip clutch to take off, just drive as usual. I can't wait for warm weather to run it longer but I can see a warm shower coming right now. Blood thinners suck in the winter. I can't wait to try the 14 tooth front sprocket out(3.07 ratio), it should take off a little faster than stock, for having stop light to stop light fun.Like I said I LIKE IT so far, but more riding will tell the WHOLE story.    Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #273 - 03/18/07 at 16:25:36

I have posted pictures of the chain conversion in tech/document section, will add ratio charts later. If anyone notices the grease on the chain, that is because when my son finally brought his camera over he neglected to bring the only can of PJ1 no mess chain lube back that he BORROWED last year. I didn't want  to run the chain dry, so I left the packing grease on it for my test run.Later    Hutch

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #274 - 03/18/07 at 20:37:35

Hey hutch,

Great job! I am really glad it works well. I can't wait to get mine going and see what it'll do. It was 103 yesterday and 95+ today so a ride right now would be great.

I'll try to send some of our weather your way, 103 a week before spring is a bit much.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #275 - 03/18/07 at 21:24:29

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey hutch,

Great job! I am really glad it works well. I can't wait to get mine going and see what it'll do. It was 103 yesterday and 95+ today so a ride right now would be great.

I'll try to send some of our weather your way, 103 a week before spring is a bit much.

I didn't get to really put that many miles on cause I was beginning to feel like a popsicle, but seems to be just what I was looking for. The lower RPM's at 80mph was nice. First time I saw the 3rd lane on the e-way with the S40. People thought I was nuts I think, just buzzed on by them. I can't wait to try the 3.07 ratio with the 14 tooth on the front, should be fun. You know the fair weather sent my way would be nice. The weatherman just said snow tomorrow. Isn't going to be nice until next weekend, maybe 50+ with no rain. I think I will leave my old bars on for now and get my" Savagealope" bars powdercoated black. Will order cables from LANCER next week and maybe everything will be here at the same time(wishful thinking). I think you will like the change. I still might play with a few different sprockets just for the heck of it, but not till it gets warmer than this weather we have in Michigan now. Later    Hutch

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #276 - 03/19/07 at 03:34:22

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have posted pictures of the chain conversion in tech/document section, will add ratio charts later. If anyone notices the grease on the chain, that is because when my son finally brought his camera over he neglected to bring the only can of PJ1 no mess chain lube back that he BORROWED last year. I didn't want  to run the chain dry, so I left the packing grease on it for my test run.Later    Hutch

Hey Hutch,  One thing I would really suggest if you went with an O-ring chain....and you want to keep a clean chain and bike then clean up the grease/PJ1 with some kerosene and put on some chain wax.  I have a gold chain on my streetfighter and use that and I love it after years of PJ1 goo.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #277 - 03/19/07 at 05:04:17

I forgot the Tempter, I guess it didn't see much sales???
Here's a Canadian photo:
I understand it was a good bike.
http://www.davidreiss.com/tempter.html
Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
There is even a listing for a GR650 Tempter.  Anyone seen that one?

BTW - when this is done, you guys really deserve to go into Hall of Fame and to put this in the tech section.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #278 - 03/19/07 at 05:44:17

In red too...

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #279 - 03/19/07 at 06:56:14

I sure miss regular motorcycles. This whole era of a gap between crusiers and crotch rockets is shame. We could be having some fine "universal" motorcycles... Instead, they've tried to fill the gap with over-sized and priced scooters! Though I have to admit some of those scooters are cool in their own right, I could never consider riding anything with wheels smaller than 15" on out pot-hole filled roads down here.

Congrats and thanks to the guys on the hunt for the easy chain drive conversion. I'm another one that will be taking it under consideration. Especially if my plans to buy a second Savage this week come through!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #280 - 03/19/07 at 08:12:12

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey Hutch,  One thing I would really suggest if you went with an O-ring chain....and you want to keep a clean chain and bike then clean up the grease/PJ1 with some kerosene and put on some chain wax.  I have a gold chain on my streetfighter and use that and I love it after years of PJ1 goo.

You know I have been to 2 different bike shops I don't know how many times in the last couple of months, and I keep forgetting to look for the chain wax. Guess I was just focused on the sprocket thing to much. Now that ELVIRA is sporting a chain I will have to check for it. Thanks for reminding me,and for all the help during this project.   Hutch

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #281 - 03/19/07 at 08:39:05

You know I have been to 2 different bike shops I don't know how many times in the last couple of months, and I keep forgetting to look for the chain wax. Guess I was just focused on the sprocket thing to much. Now that ELVIRA is sporting a chain I will have to check for it. Thanks for reminding me,and for all the help during this project.   Hutch

Any plans for some method for correcting the speedo?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #282 - 03/19/07 at 09:11:58

Any plans for some method for correcting the speedo?

There is a place in Flint, Michigan(about28 miles) called SPEC-MO that recalibrates auto and truck speedos, but I don't know about bikes. If I can't figure out how to I will just do the math, or do like I have done with all the choppers and bobbers I have built with NO speedo. GO WITH THE FLOW of traffic. As long as you don't stick out of the crowd as far as speed goes, the 5-0 tend to leave you alone.  Hutch

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #283 - 03/19/07 at 09:53:30

There is a place in Flint, Michigan(about28 miles) called SPEC-MO that recalibrates auto and truck speedos, but I don't know about bikes. If I can't figure out how to I will just do the math, or do like I have done with all the choppers and bobbers I have built with NO speedo. GO WITH THE FLOW of traffic. As long as you don't stick out of the crowd as far as speed goes, the 5-0 tend to leave you alone.  Hutch

I just set up my shopping cart at the Motorcycle Superstore with the 45/17 (2.65 ratio) and 120 link chain...I also added to you and tbalam in the Tech section with other options.  Good to go on this one...and Thanks alot to both of you, I might add...

How about another challenge?  Do you suppose that anything else is useful on the GS 550...like maybe the speedo drive on the countershaft or maybe the rear wheel size or maybe even the speedo too?

Might be able to upgrade this all the way.  Might help Kropatchek with his new tank too Tongue

Anyway

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #284 - 03/19/07 at 12:02:03

You know I have been to 2 different bike shops I don't know how many times in the last couple of months, and I keep forgetting to look for the chain wax.

You might try Belray Super Clean. It's a better lube in my opinion and it will not fling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.