Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Send Topic Print
chain drive conversion (Read 179 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #255 - 03/17/07 at 20:23:01

Hmmmm, that looks pretty danged nice.. I wonder how many miles I will get outta this belt? I wonder how I can justify that mod? Hmmmm,,, Where's the emoticon for head scratchin & chin strokin? I really like the low end grunt, but it sure would be nice to be able to run 80 without wringing its poor little guts out.

I'll see what the cam does to it. Maybe one day I will follow suit with the chain mod.

Congratulations to you guys & thanks for wading off into this.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #256 - 03/18/07 at 03:12:18

Hey tbalam

Congratulations on the chain drive conversion, plenty of choice of gearing now.

Go well

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #257 - 03/18/07 at 03:31:35

Grin I'm really liking the look of that chain drive on the Savage ... Good job!  8)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #258 - 03/18/07 at 06:18:37

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Well the conversion is done,

And as hutch said the upper bracket is in the way... barely. It just hits the rivets on the chain.

As for the sprockets and chain, with only the stock spacer on the inside and an extra sprocket width on the outside my chain runs right down the middle. the sprocket teeth are also smack dab in the middle of the chain.

As soon as my parts get here she will be out for a test run. Assuming no oil leaks or other problems.  BIG IF.

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C03%5C17%5Cbikepics-832589-full.jpg

That looks mighty fine...

I've spent the last 7 years, thinking that there were some really creative folks in Europe that that must have fabricated some special parts to make this same conversion...and here you guys did it in a couple weeks with parts off the shelf.  Damm good job.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #259 - 03/18/07 at 07:17:11

Okay.  I just found an online source for the JT Sprockets.  Much cheaper than the Dealer listing I was looking at...it is the same dealer source too.

Here it is:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/partsByBrand.aspx?manufacturer=318&DID=7...

Now, one thing I'm slightly confused about is which model that you guys selected.  It's a GS550?  They list a 550, a 550E, a 550ES, a 550L, and a 550M.  Anyone wanna explain?

There is even a listing for a GR650 Tempter.  Anyone seen that one?

BTW - when this is done, you guys really deserve to go into Hall of Fame and to put this in the tech section.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #260 - 03/18/07 at 07:32:41

I agree with Greg. Looks FANTASTIC! This is one mod I will definitely do. Cheesy

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #261 - 03/18/07 at 07:51:30

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Okay.  I just found an online source for the JT Sprockets.  Much cheaper than the Dealer listing I was looking at...it is the same dealer source too.

Here it is:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/partsByBrand.aspx?manufacturer=318&DID=7...

Now, one thing I'm slightly confused about is which model that you guys selected.  It's a GS550?  They list a 550, a 550E, a 550ES, a 550L, and a 550M.  Anyone wanna explain?

There is even a listing for a GR650 Tempter.  Anyone seen that one?

BTW - when this is done, you guys really deserve to go into Hall of Fame and to put this in the tech section.

This will probably confuse even more. The JT site lists as 1980 GS550ET, LT. When I went to the Honda shop to order mine the book just listed it as "spoke" or "cast" wheel. As long as you order for the CAST wheel, you will have the correct ones. The rear can be had in 38-52 tooth, and the front in 13-18 tooth. The 18 tooth would not work because of clearance. Any of the back will work.I ran with the 17/43 for 14.5% change for a 725RPM savings at 80MPH, and have a 14 tooth extra front to make it accelerate faster than stock if I want. It will only take a few minutes to swap out front sprocket to change the bike completely. I f you want a good compromise and not change the sprockets all the time, the 16/43 would probably be the best with a 9-10% change and save you 450-500 RPM at 80mph. The possibilities are endless with all the gear ratios you can come up with. Take it from MILD to WILD, it's your choice.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #262 - 03/18/07 at 07:58:41

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

This will probably confuse even more. The JT site lists as 1980 GS550ET, LT. When I went to the Honda shop to oder mine the book just listed it as "spoke" or "cast" wheel. As long as you order for the CAST wheel, you will have the correct ones. The rear can be had in 38-52 tooth, and the front in 13-18 tooth. The 18 tooth would not work because of clearance. Any of the back will work.I ran with the 17/43 for 14.5% change, and have a 14 tooth extra front to make it accelerate faster if I want. It will only take a few minutes to swap out front sprocket to change the bike completely. I f you want a good compromise and not change the sprockets all the time, the 16/43 would probably be the best with a 9-10% change and save you 450-500 RPM at 80mph. The possibilities are endless with all the gear ratios you can come up with. Take it from MILD to WILD, it's your choice.

I know...but the difference is that all dealers are different in how they list stuff, and I don't particularly like my local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki dealership.  This supplier lists them by model number directly from JT, and the price is a few dollars less for both sprockets.

This site also lists some variations for each bike too...14. 15. 16 etc.

I'd really rather order from this site (I have before) than to travel to Michigan and order at your Honda dealership Tongue

I'll do a little more surfing then....Smiley

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #263 - 03/18/07 at 08:03:48

I know...but the difference is that all dealers are different in how they list stuff, and I don't particularly like my local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki dealership.  This supplier lists them by model number directly from JT, and the price is a few dollars less for both sprockets.

This site also lists some variations for each bike too...14. 15. 16 etc.

I'd really rather order from this site (I have before) than to travel to Michigan and order at your Honda dealership Tongue

I'll do a little more surfing then....Smiley

Greg the front sprocket is no problem, they are the same on all 1980 GS 550 models, The rear has to be off the CAST wheel and I would go with the GS550 E, or L model. As long as it has the 100mm bolt pattern, you will be alright.   Hutch

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #264 - 03/18/07 at 08:10:22

congrats on the on the conversion guys! i just finished reading all 11 pages(at this time) , a great effort by by the group of you, which is what makes site/group the greatest on the 'net!
 please allow me to add another belt  negative, two weeks ago, debby's roadking got a small rock/ piece of gravel between the belt and rear pulley, the rock pushed through the belt, creating a hole in the middle, a quick twist of the throttle, 60hp and 700lbs later, the belt is broke laying on the side of the road. $330 for belt and seals (gotta pull the primary case, no point in putting used seals back on) plus a min 4hrs which translates into a couple weeks, based on my available wrench time. shes been riding this bike for 5mos, we live on a dirt road, with a county maintained lose blacktop road coming in from the highway. if this happens again, she'll be gettin' a chain drive! harley's motivation towards the belt drive (i think) has more to do with reduced maintenance for the RUBs, than any real practicality.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #265 - 03/18/07 at 08:11:04

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Greg the front sprocket is no problem, they are the same on all 1980 GS 550 models, The rear has to be off the CAST wheel and I would go with the GS550 E, or L model. As long as it has the 100mm bolt pattern, you will be alright.   Hutch

Okay.  I'm just trying to nail this down so that it is "etched in stone".  Then future Savages can just look at the numbers and order it without having to send you a private message...see where I'm going now?

Front = 1980 GS 550...good

Just check this site.  There were GS 550s from 1977 to 1986.  Looks like the 550M was a Katana model, too.  If you'll notice, there were a lot of years with cast wheels.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS550E.shtml

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #266 - 03/18/07 at 08:16:13

Here's a 1978 GS550E with cast wheels and rear disk too Grin

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #267 - 03/18/07 at 08:24:39

Okay.  I'm just trying to nail this down so that it is "etched in stone".  Then future Savages can just look at the numbers and order it without having to send you a private message...see where I'm going now?

Front = 1980 GS 550...good

Just check this site.  There were GS 550s from 1977 to 1986.  Looks like the 550M was a Katana model, too.  If you'll notice, there were a lot of years with cast wheels.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS550E.shtml

Just order BOTH sprockets for the 1980GS 550 with CAST wheel and your GOOD TO GO.  The chain length will depend on the sprockets you choose, but the sprockets are made for a 530 chain. Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #268 - 03/18/07 at 08:29:37

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
congrats on the on the conversion guys! i just finished reading all 11 pages(at this time) , a great effort by by the group of you, which is what makes site/group the greatest on the 'net!
 please allow me to add another belt  negative, two weeks ago, debby's roadking got a small rock/ piece of gravel between the belt and rear pulley, the rock pushed through the belt, creating a hole in the middle, a quick twist of the throttle, 60hp and 700lbs later, the belt is broke laying on the side of the road. $330 for belt and seals (gotta pull the primary case, no point in putting used seals back on) plus a min 4hrs which translates into a couple weeks, based on my available wrench time. shes been riding this bike for 5mos, we live on a dirt road, with a county maintained lose blacktop road coming in from the highway. if this happens again, she'll be gettin' a chain drive! harley's motivation towards the belt drive (i think) has more to do with reduced maintenance for the RUBs, than any real practicality.

Don't forget the money they make from owners that aren't mechanicly inclined. The labor charge is what kills you.   Hutch

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #269 - 03/18/07 at 10:53:45

Hey guys,

These sprockets fit a number of models and years. Most of the sprockets for the GS, GSXR, GSX's work.

Hear is the model numbers:

JTsprockets Front: jtf513.?
                   Rear  jtr816.?

The .? is for whatever tooth number you want.

If you go here:
http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html?&L=0&sel_artnr=JTF513,13

And here:
http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html?&L=0&sel_artnr=JTR816,39

You can see at the links above all the models that share these sprocket designs and then buy a sprocket for anyone of these models, from whatever sprocket manufacturer you want.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:35:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.