Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #210 - 03/10/07 at 11:07:56

Yeah, 'cause I have enough pieces spread everywhere, and will prefer to just copy someone else Tongue

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #211 - 03/10/07 at 11:56:18

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Tbalam smart job hurry up and do the rest we are all waiting to see who will be 1st with full results Wink

allan.
It will not be me, I know that. It will 3 more days before I can try once more to get the nut off at the tire shop. Spacer still has to be made and haven't got the 13 tooth to make it out of yet, Waiting on cables for new bars. Even when I get them I have to tear everything back apart on the bars so I can get the bars powdercoated black, then re-assemble. I spent the morning fixing my sump-pump, that was just pumping water back in the basement. Had to dig through 2 foot of snow and pour hot water on end of pipe to thaw it out. Because of being froze it blew the pipe apart in the basement and just kept pumping water out of the hole and back in. Always something.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #212 - 03/10/07 at 14:04:46

Just one question. Is there any bolts on theSavage/S-40 that DOESN'T have loc-tite on it. Let me see, so far, all seat bolts, all exhaust bolts, handlebar switch screws, belt guard bolts, riser clamps, riser bolts, front footpeg bolts, sidecover screws, rear fender rail bolts, license plate bracket bolts, rectifier bolts, clutch and brake clamps at handlebar, chrome engine cover bolts, Definately the front belt pulley nut, and now I can't break the rear footpeg bolts loose. I will have to wait until the back tire is off and use a allen head socket on a BIG ratchet. Don't the Japs know what a lock washer or nyloc-nut is???I would love to take the guy who invented loc-tite and give him a big supository of it and then take him to Sluggos Table and get him a double order of Alices Killer Chili. Following into the can would be the best part. After listening to him straining for a while I would just say" Kind of a pain in the a$$ getting out, aint it??"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #213 - 03/10/07 at 18:48:04

Awwrite Hutch, I can tell by your post there is something you just simply aren't aware of. Here's the deal with design engineers. I have this on Good Authority so you simply must belive me. No engineeer is allowed to design ANYthing untill said engineer has had enough Psychology (brainwashing) to have zero regard for mechanics. If they want to go higher in their trade they simply take more Psychology untill they absolutely Hate mechanics. Now, doesn't that make it all just, Make sense? So, that's how it's gotta be.. right?

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #214 - 03/10/07 at 19:42:42

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Awwrite Hutch, I can tell by your post there is something you just simply aren't aware of. Here's the deal with design engineers. I have this on Good Authority so you simply must belive me. No engineeer is allowed to design ANYthing untill said engineer has had enough Psychology (brainwashing) to have zero regard for mechanics. If they want to go higher in their trade they simply take more Psychology untill they absolutely Hate mechanics. Now, doesn't that make it all just, Make sense? So, that's how it's gotta be.. right?

Whoa dude!!!  having been both a Suzuki mechanic and a degreed engineer I gotta think about that one!  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #215 - 03/11/07 at 06:22:46

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Whoa dude!!!  having been both a Suzuki mechanic and a degreed engineer I gotta think about that one!  Wink

I don't think Justi_o_Guy meant all engineers or tradesmen, but there sure are a lot of them. Probably the ones that got points added to there scores for being a minority. Example While working for Buick the cars were only primared when the came down from cooling on the third floor. A "float" was set up so that when the line was shut off extra cars were there and other people could still work if one dept. was down. The float held 5 cars. There was an "eye" that picked up the movement of a car and told the computer to send another car into the float. Once in a while the car carrier would roll back and catch the feed line, and that would kick the carrier forward breaking the "eye" even though the car did not leave the station. The "eye "had just told the computer to send another car.6 cars in an area made for five.This was an elevated area and it would sandwich a car, pop it up over the rail and it would come crashing down in the corridoor. This went on for two shifts and 3 days. I told the General foreman how to fix it and put a mark in the dust where they needed to put a stop so the car couldn't roll back into the feed line and get kicked forward. I came into work the next day and here is the GF waiting for me. "It didn't work "he told me. First shift smashed 4 cars today.We went up and looked and the stop was there, 6 inches from my mark in the dust. I told the GF that may be they should get somebody with a brain to do it. Move it where the mark is. I didn't need a tape measure to know where to put it. They cut the stop off and moved it to my mark, no more problem. They smashed a total of 15 cars in three days at $6,000 a car. That is what they had into the car body at that point on the line. How many overpaid Pollocks does it take to put a stop in the right place NONE , just somebody with common sense to show them where it goes.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #216 - 03/11/07 at 08:22:03

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just one question. Is there any bolts on theSavage/S-40 that DOESN'T have loc-tite on it. Let me see, so far, all seat bolts, all exhaust bolts, handlebar switch screws, belt guard bolts, riser clamps, riser bolts, front footpeg bolts, sidecover screws, rear fender rail bolts, license plate bracket bolts, rectifier bolts, clutch and brake clamps at handlebar, chrome engine cover bolts, Definately the front belt pulley nut, and now I can't break the rear footpeg bolts loose. I will have to wait until the back tire is off and use a allen head socket on a BIG ratchet. Don't the Japs know what a lock washer or nyloc-nut is???I would love to take the guy who invented loc-tite and give him a big supository of it and then take him to Sluggos Table and get him a double order of Alices Killer Chili. Following into the can would be the best part. After listening to him straining for a while I would just say" Kind of a pain in the a$$ getting out, aint it??"

Aw come on there big guy.  It ain't that bad and there ain't locktite on all them bolts.

Some of those bolts just got the old "steel bolt stuck in the aluminum thingie" torque quality...

Try the old "shade tree" of a good smack on the head.

Besides, you wouldn't want the old Harley trick of "steel bolt and aluminum thingie" fall off in the road, would you?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #217 - 03/11/07 at 08:31:27

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

There is a point there...but it doesn't apply to those rare hybrid engineering types in present company Tongue

I have worked with some really brilliant engineers.  They could imagine and design all kinds of devices, but when they picked up a wrench they were dumber than my toolbox.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #218 - 03/11/07 at 09:01:55

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Aw come on there big guy.  It ain't that bad and there ain't locktite on all them bolts.

It seems to me that I have never seen BLUE aluminum in steel bolt threads before. As far as the Harley remark, the only thing that ever fell off one of my harley's was the speedo that was next to the tank in the picture of the panhead I posted. The bracket broke. Pilots do a visual inspection of there planes before they take off. If you use star or lock washers, or nylock nuts, and check things once in a while instead of putting the key in it and taking off. NO PROBLEM!! I love seeing these people that run around for a week with tire half flat. Of course it is always on the passenger side, they never see that side of the car

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #219 - 03/13/07 at 13:59:56

One step closer on the chain drive. Mounted rear sprocket. Finally got the front sprocket nut off. 300psi and they asked me if it was left hand tread, no, try again, second try it came loose. Full of loc-tite. Slid front sprocket on and took a peak down both sprockets. Looks great, but lets see for sure. Did the string trick, looks good. Did the straight edge trick, looks good, Laser time for the top of the teeth, PERFECT. The spacer is needed on the OUTSIDE of the sprocket to take up the gap of the skinnier sprocket vs the pulley. Tab locking washer on out side, just barely reaches spline, so I took air sander to both sides, and now the washer fits great.I just polished the outside spacer, did not take any amount of metal off. That is all it took for locking washer to go on spline. Works perfect. Honda shop had no 530 chain, but will have tomorrow. I don't know how many links but it needs to be 69-70 inches long with wheel all the way forward. I will find out later if the same chain will work for both the 17 and the 14 tooth front sprocket. So far so good. The belt/chain guard doesn't look as bad as I thought. If I bob it shorter, I think it will look fine. Sorry no pictures, PARTS are more important than buying a camera. I f I ever get my son to bring his over I wil post some pics.The chain lenght I mentioned is for a 17/43 combo.  Later   Hutch

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #220 - 03/13/07 at 14:04:56

Awesome!!!

I am glad that everything is working out.

Did you grind down the sprocket to make the spacer or did you leave it alone?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #221 - 03/13/07 at 14:13:41

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Awesome!!!

I am glad that everything is working out.

Did you grind down the sprocket to make the spacer or did you leave it alone?

With the 17 front the spacer MIGHT have worked with out grinding, would have been reel close. I knew it wouldn't ever work when I put the 14 on the front. What I did was set the toothed ouside lock washer on the sprocket, marked around it cause the washer is 40mm OD I took the spacer to the welding shop in town and they let me cut it down on their metal cutting jig saw. Brought it home and took the burs off, and polished both sides so the washer would catch the splines. PERPECT!!

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #222 - 03/13/07 at 14:43:35

how much did the welding shop charge?

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #223 - 03/13/07 at 15:32:43

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
how much did the welding shop charge?
Benefits of being laid off from GM  way back, used to work there ,so they told me to" Go ahead and do it, You know how to run most everything in here."

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #224 - 03/14/07 at 09:03:24

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

As far as the Harley remark, the only thing that ever fell off one of my harley's was the speedo that was next to the tank in the picture of the panhead I posted. The bracket broke. ...

My BIL, whom has bunches of money, also has a 2 year old "Something Glide" (can't remember).  He therefore has all his work done by the dealer and never touches a wrench.

A couple months ago he was with his favorite Hog Group on a weekly "ride and pose" when he suddenly dropped from the radar while riding the tail position.  When the group finally found him on the side of the road, it was discovered that all of his rear pulley bolts had come loose and a few had fallen out....Of course, having his resources a tow for the bike was no problem, but he did have to accept the disgrace of riding 2 up for the rest of the day.

You might have preferred those bolts on your rear pulley.  Right?

Naw, things don't fall off Harleys...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:19:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.