Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #195 - 03/07/07 at 08:09:41

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Yup Greg, going to order 13 and 14 tooth today. Will take a week to get them. Maybe by then I can get the nut off the front pulley. Everything should work out if "The Fickle Finger of Fate" stays away.

That nut is STILL on the pulley?  Try your jack handle this time Grin

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #196 - 03/07/07 at 11:46:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
That nut is STILL on the pulley?  Try your jack handle this time Grin

Yup still there. 150psi, 1/2 inch impact won't budge it. I ran the air hose from the garage to the house to try it, no go. Breaker bar with jack handle, no go. I'm about ready to dig a path through the snow to the garage so I can roll the bike out there and heat the nut up with the torches. About the only option left. I just got back from my aunts funeral and aint in the mood to do much now, so I'll see what the weather is like tomorrow and maybe start digging a path.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #197 - 03/07/07 at 11:54:59

Grinman you guys really like a challenge Greg you'll have to show how to do it pic'c please ( more for the album) Grin

allan.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #198 - 03/07/07 at 12:55:11

Yup still there. 150psi, 1/2 inch impact won't budge it. I ran the air hose from the garage to the house to try it, no go. Breaker bar with jack handle, no go. I'm about ready to dig a path through the snow to the garage so I can roll the bike out there and heat the nut up with the torches. About the only option left. I just got back from my aunts funeral and aint in the mood to do much now, so I'll see what the weather is like tomorrow and maybe start digging a path.

You did bend the tab on the washer down, didn't you?  (please tell me that's a stupid question)

Lefty loosy too, right?

Your bike is newer than mine too.  Sompin' don't cypher here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #199 - 03/07/07 at 13:03:37

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Grinman you guys really like a challenge Greg you'll have to show how to do it pic'c please ( more for the album) Grin

allan.

Ya suppose we aren't talking about the same nut?  I do have a picture for the CD...

I wonder if we're talking about the same bike....Tongue

Here's my spouse's...I even reused the washer a couple times before....

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #200 - 03/07/07 at 14:59:51

You did bend the tab on the washer down, didn't you?  (please tell me that's a stupid question)

Lefty loosy too, right?

Your bike is newer than mine too.  Sompin' don't cypher here.

Stupid question on both counts. Same nut, same washer.. 2006 S-40.But I will bet that the last couple of threads sticking out of the nut  on your bike, doesn't have lock-tite dripping off of it like mine does. I'll just have to heat it upand hope I don't fry the oil seal. If you heat it up and throw cold water on it, it usually "shocks" it and they will break loose. Works everytime for rusted nuts and bolt. I don't know how many times I have watched people try to heat a frozen nut and bolt cherry red and just twist it in two. You only have to heat it to hot(not red hot) and then throw cold water on it and presto, off comes the nut. Besides Greg, did you think I was kidding you about my luck. I will say that after 56 years of it, you tend not to let it get to you as bad. Tolerence build up I think they call it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #201 - 03/07/07 at 20:44:05

Stupid question on both counts. Same nut, same washer.. 2006 S-40.But I will bet that the last couple of threads sticking out of the nut  on your bike, doesn't have lock-tite dripping off of it like mine does. I'll just have to heat it upand hope I don't fry the oil seal. If you heat it up and throw cold water on it, it usually "shocks" it and they will break loose. Works everytime for rusted nuts and bolt. I don't know how many times I have watched people try to heat a frozen nut and bolt cherry red and just twist it in two. You only have to heat it to hot(not red hot) and then throw cold water on it and presto, off comes the nut. Besides Greg, did you think I was kidding you about my luck. I will say that after 56 years of it, you tend not to let it get to you as bad. Tolerence build up I think they call it.

Aw Man.  I kinda figured that you checked all of it.  Just sometimes, I know that someone can ask me something and then the light will "come on" so to speak.  Like "damm, how'd I miss that?"

I don't figure it's the fickle finger that much either.  Sompin just ain't right.

As for the torch...that'll loosen it but as you mentioned the oil seal, there's no need for a dumb question there.  I would be worried about all the heat you'll have to put on that pulley and where it is gonna go.  That pulley is gonna draw off a lot..

I'm thinking that I'd use the torch lightly on the nut but if that didn't work pretty quick that I'd then take a cutoff wheel to the nut.  Got a Dremel or a good air grinder?

Really baffling.  When I first took mine off, I couldn't hold the bike and turn the nut, so I put a socket and bar on it, and because I didn't have an impactor, I smacked the bar with a mallet...broke loose...

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: chain drive conversion-step 1
Reply #202 - 03/09/07 at 15:05:24

Step 1, Bolt on rear sprocket. check Grin

Still waiting on front sprocket, thanks hutch for the idea about using the small sprocket as a spacer. this was my 15 dollar score off ebay. I used JT sprockets website to cross reference different model bikes that use the same output shaft, and waited until one came up.

a look down the rear sprocket to the pulley.

waiting on cam chain and clutch parts then i will start putting it all back together and getting it cleaned up.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #203 - 03/09/07 at 17:19:09

Aw Man.  I kinda figured that you checked all of it.  Just sometimes, I know that someone can ask me something and then the light will "come on" so to speak.  Like "damm, how'd I miss that?"

I don't figure it's the fickle finger that much either.  Sompin just ain't right.

As for the torch...that'll loosen it but as you mentioned the oil seal, there's no need for a dumb question there.  I would be worried about all the heat you'll have to put on that pulley and where it is gonna go.  That pulley is gonna draw off a lot..

I'm thinking that I'd use the torch lightly on the nut but if that didn't work pretty quick that I'd then take a cutoff wheel to the nut.  Got a Dremel or a good air grinder?

Really baffling.  When I first took mine off, I couldn't hold the bike and turn the nut, so I put a socket and bar on it, and because I didn't have an impactor, I smacked the bar with a mallet...broke loose...

I think that before I take the torch to it I'll try one more thing. I'll go get my bike trailer from my son and load up the S-40, and take it to the local tire store. They told me they have 300 psi constantly. If that don't work it is torch time. Tbalam no problem on the spacer. I should have my 14 tooth and 13 tooth that I will use for spacer this coming week. Let us know if the sprocket/spacer needs any fine tuning to get the alignment correct.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #204 - 03/10/07 at 01:34:54

With KLX I have the choice of 13-15 front and 41-46 rear.
Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: chain drive conversion-step 1
Reply #205 - 03/10/07 at 07:17:02

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Step 1, Bolt on rear sprocket. check Grin

Still waiting on front sprocket, thanks hutch for the idea about using the small sprocket as a spacer. this was my 15 dollar score off ebay. I used JT sprockets website to cross reference different model bikes that use the same output shaft, and waited until one came up.

a look down the rear sprocket to the pulley.

waiting on cam chain and clutch parts then i will start putting it all back together and getting it cleaned up.

Great job.  Really cool...especially after I had enough coffee to realize the photo was sideways Grin  

I've heard this conversion talked about for 6 years, and it is finally taking shape.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #206 - 03/10/07 at 07:18:27

I think that before I take the torch to it I'll try one more thing. I'll go get my bike trailer from my son and load up the S-40, and take it to the local tire store. They told me they have 300 psi constantly. If that don't work it is torch time. Tbalam no problem on the spacer. I should have my 14 tooth and 13 tooth that I will use for spacer this coming week. Let us know if the sprocket/spacer needs any fine tuning to get the alignment correct.

I hope you have an impact socket that is up to that...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #207 - 03/10/07 at 07:19:06

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
With KLX I have the choice of 13-15 front and 41-46 rear.
Clive W  Cheesy

Choice is gonna be nice....

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #208 - 03/10/07 at 08:27:53

I hope you have an impact socket that is up to that...

Well greg since they are a tire place and I know they work on trucks, I'm hoping they have one ,if my snap-on 6 point breaks. BTW 32mm is the same as 1and1/4"

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #209 - 03/10/07 at 09:20:38

Tbalam smart job hurry up and do the rest we are all waiting to see who will be 1st with full results Wink

allan.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.