Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #180 - 03/05/07 at 18:09:41

tbalam,
The toothed washer is the standard suzuki lock washer on most all their counter shaft sprockets.  It is a flat soft steel washer with teeth on the ID that fit over the splines of the counter shaft.  You slide it up against the sprocket and then tighten the nut.  The last thing you do then is carefully bend down one side of it so it is flat and tight against one face of the nut.  This "locks" the nut and keeps it from turning and coming loose.  Over all but I have seen them work loose if it is not flattened good and tight against the nut.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #181 - 03/05/07 at 19:08:46

Just as Smokin says...

Here it is in it's virgin condition before being bent.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #182 - 03/05/07 at 19:34:11

Thanks, it seems youd need 15 or so to get the requisite offset.

any reason we can't use a 1" I.D. wheel spacer that is 10mm? I guess the real question is, is there an advantage to having a splined spacer?

or would something like these work.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=estore&taxid=228&pid=292

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #183 - 03/05/07 at 19:41:44

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanks, it seems youd need 15 or so to get the requisite offset.

any reason we can't use a 1" I.D. wheel spacer that is 10mm? I guess the real question is, is there an advantage to having a splined spacer?

or would something like these work.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=estore&taxid=228&pid=292

I don't see any reason a non-splined spacer won't work.  After all the one under the drive shaft oil seal isn't splined either.

The washer's just splined to keep the nut from turning.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #184 - 03/05/07 at 20:25:18

I think i am going to try one of these.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=220-142&cs=Harley&GID=27E9685E...

if you get a 1" ID x.375 x 1.5 OD, that equates to a 25.4mm x 9.525 x 38.5 OD that is very close to what we will need. I think if I add a splined washer for good luck i should be close to the 10mm we need. all of these specs are with <.5 mm, with the exception in the width, which is not as critical.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #185 - 03/06/07 at 04:09:54

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Blue I can assure you that the spacer is needed.
as said before have tried this on the 650 motor with a straight edge across the 2 sprockets and they dont run true, I will try this again tomorrow as I'm waiting for bearings for the wheel, and get some pic's.

allan.

Valid procedure as long as you have truely aligned your wheels first using string or such otherwise a very small error in rear wheel alignment is magnified by the straight edge and the distance to the front sprocket. (I never trust the rear swingarm marks.  I align mine once and then count number of flats I turn the rear adjusters after that when adjusting the rear adjusters.

Hopefully Redcar can get him the parts he needs.

Paul

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #186 - 03/06/07 at 08:18:29

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hopefully Redcar can get him the parts he needs.

Paul

Wishing and hopin, don't get ya nothin. Bullocks mates. Redcar is a bust, No got. Just e-mailed Nightingales and  Redcar gave me another leed. Robinson Foundry UK. We will see what happens with them. The ground down front sprocket is looking better all the time.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #187 - 03/06/07 at 11:46:49

Hutch sorry to here about Redcar if you go to robinson foundry they will want a vin no, I can send you my 400 one if you need it,

allan.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #188 - 03/06/07 at 13:45:36

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hutch sorry to here about Redcar if you go to robinson foundry they will want a vin no, I can send you my 400 one if you need it,

allan.

Nightingales was a bust also. Robinsons asked for a vin and I didn't give one, but it didn't matter. They e-mailed me back and informed me that the LS400 was never listed as a UK model, only the LS650. NO PARTS AVAILABLE!!!!Looks like I cut down my front sprocket, and order another one. If I weren't so picky I would just make a spacer, but if the factory one was splined, that's what I want.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #189 - 03/06/07 at 14:13:37

I think I will order a jt front sprocket with 14 teeth. It might be small enough that I won't need to grind it down for chain clearance, and if I ever come up with the right spacer I can use 14 with the 43 back to end up with a 3.10 ratio. Stock belt is 2.96 so I could run almost stock ratio or my other ratio when ever I want. We will see when I get it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #190 - 03/06/07 at 19:00:57

If ya don't have a straight edge that will fit on the sprockets, use a string. Pulled tight, they make as straight a line as any straight edge. The belt will hold it on the front sprocket.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #191 - 03/06/07 at 19:12:11

Quote:
and if I ever come up with the right spacer I can use 14 with the 43 back to end up with a 3.10 ratio. Stock belt is 2.96 so I could run almost stock ratio or my other ratio when ever I want.

Just for clarification a 3.10 takes you the opposite way you wanted to go, right?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #192 - 03/06/07 at 20:05:45

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just for clarification a 3.10 takes you the opposite way you wanted to go, right?

You are correct. The 3.10 would be real close to the 2.96 original ratio. This way I could just pull the front cover and either run "almost stock" or change to the 2.53 Highway ratio when ever I want, in just a few minutes. All I would need is 2 chains, one for each combination, and a few spare tab washers for locking the trans nut. The more I thought about it, I decided to also get a 13 tooth to grind down for my spacer. That way I won't have to keep looking for that "phantom" spacer. This will give me everything I need to do the job the first time, and should be as good as the original. Maybe! Time will tell.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #193 - 03/06/07 at 22:05:36

So you are good to go now?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #194 - 03/07/07 at 06:20:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So you are good to go now?

Yup Greg, going to order 13 and 14 tooth today. Will take a week to get them. Maybe by then I can get the nut off the front pulley. Everything should work out if "The Fickle Finger of Fate" stays away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.