Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #165 - 03/04/07 at 13:47:41

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Yes I read it and broke two broom handles. Lefty loosie I know. NO GO it won't come loose. The idiots at Suzuki probably used loc-tite. Loc-tite is for people to lazy to check there bikes over once in a while. God I hate that crap. All I ever use is never seize to keep things from locking together. From everything I gathered in the last three hours on the net, they only made the LS400 for one year, 1987, and nobody has any OEM parts. It isn't even listed in any Suzuki dealer parts searches. The only way I found out what year it was made was by looking up Suzuki model histories on some Swedish web site.I hate cobbleing things together. Just never was my style. If  you can't do it right, don't do it. Makes me wish I still worked at the machine shop like in 1969. Put me on a Bridgeport mill and I'll make anything. I loved those machines, Breaks, Shears, Lathes, man I loved working with all of them.
I'm almost tempted to buy the German kit, just to get the spacer and chain, and have a useless 50 tooth sprocket and a spare 17 tooth front. $265 + shipping sucks.  

Iwish I could stand or walk all day. Standing=1hour, Sitting =1hour, Walking=200yds, I'm done, got to lay down for an hour to get the blood flowing and stop the pain. Now we know why I don't do long distance cruises anymore, and I have to be home to cook my own food, since I can't eat anything cooked in veggie oil. Pretty much blows all fried food,fish, fries, chicken, onion rings, no mayo, no green veggies. I haven't ate outside my house in 7yrs. now SUCKS. Should have just kept drinking and I wouldn't have had ten operations for blood clots. I'd still be making $55,000 a year instead of $25,000 between SSD and a small GM pension,eat anything I want, and be in a lot better mood. That's what I get for trying to get my act together. No wonder Dad said good guys finish last.

Yeah, I was a machinist and toolmaker for quite some time.  Spent a lot of time turning handles on Bridgeports and Harding lathes....until I got fed up with job shops and layoffs.  Then I went back to school and made a career change, which was good for another 11 years until the layoffs began again...and here I am.  Manufacturing sucks but I sure did enjoy those little "governemnt jobs".  Would have knocked out a spacer at lunch time Smiley

Broke 2 broom handles?  Cool.  Though I admit that I cheated and used the handle off my jack  Grin  I just thought that broom handle was easier to get.

Your pulley is too tight anyway.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #166 - 03/04/07 at 15:15:15

I know what you mean about goverment jobs. In a matter off 2 days, on breaks I would make up a set of forward controls for my Triumph or any other bike. When I got out of the service I was 20. I kept putting in ap's to GM, but they were only hiring minorities and woman. My sister came back to Michigan from out of state and hired right in. It took me 7 years to get hired,at 27years old. I did learn a lot working at machine shops, tool and die shops, and welding shops, before I got into GM. When I got in the first thing I did was put in for skilled trades. Took all the tests and passed. One problem. All the minorities and woman got points ADDED to their scores, which meant they went to trade school before I could. GEE aint that fair. To make a long story short, I never got into the trades for the 20 years I worked for GM. Just worked on the line. When I finally got  to work on the machine floor, I quit drinking and got my first blood clot of the ten to follow over 3 years. The doc's had to turn me into a "bleeder" with all the meds, and GM said "sorry we have no job for you in your condition" SEE YA. Had to sell the family farm, all but my house and 6.66 acres. What I now call my own private he!!. Worked from the time I was 10 to get that farm. Gone!! one year after I inherited it.I planned on having the checks for the last 10 years at GM to myself, without sharing them with freind of the court. No such luck, six months is all I managed before GM threw me out. Had to sell everything to save the family house. What were you saying about the "fickle finger of fate" Greg?? I had a religeous lady ask me at GM why I never smiled. Itold her that if she had walked in my shoes for 30 years she would know."Nothing can be that bad" she said. I wrote out a list of what had went wrong in the last 3 months, divorce, mother, neighbor, and 4 close friends dying plus everything else. When she read it she just handed it back and said she would pray for my strength. I told her to multiply that three months by ten and you have my 30 years on this earth. Now I'm 56 and nothing has changed. All my aunts, uncles, sister, the whole family has the same luck. I sure wish I knew which one of my ancesters ticked off the gods and started this thing, I'd dig the idiot up and slap the crap out of him. Well I guess my Favorite aunt won't have to worry about her luck anymore, I just got the call that she passed away at noon yesterday. Got to go.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #167 - 03/04/07 at 18:33:52

Update!!! Just got another call. A good friend of mine just passed also. Funerals are the same day, same time, 100 miles apart.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #168 - 03/04/07 at 19:10:47

Sorry to hear it hutch. Peace and strength during this time.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #169 - 03/04/07 at 19:40:40

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Sorry to hear it hutch. Peace and strength during this time.

Update to the update. Just got another call. Seems my cousin in Colorado,who was like the big brother I never had, called his mother, my aunt Althea, to tell her he has terminal cancer at about the same time my aunt Donna passed right next door. My aunt Althea turned to tell my uncle Russ and tripped over the dog, fell and broke her arm. Across the street from my aunt who passed lives my other aunt Gertrude. When the EMT's arrived at my aunts house that passed, my aunt Gertrude went out on the porch to see what was up and fell and broke her hip.This funeral is gonna look like a invalid convention. This all happened within 3 hours. What was I saying about the family "luck". Kinda makes me want to crawl under the covers and wait for the black cloud to pass by. Tbalam thank you for your thoughts.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #170 - 03/05/07 at 04:55:51

What about the picture of the ST 400 that is mentioned in the Marketplace?  It's listed on eBay.  It says it is a 1999, and it is also chain drive....

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #171 - 03/05/07 at 07:10:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
What about the picture of the ST 400 that is mentioned in the Marketplace?  It's listed on eBay.  It says it is a 1999, and it is also chain drive....
Just went to the Suzuki dealer parts search page. Guess what?, there is no ST400 listed, just like they don't list a LS400. Went to the Swedish site for 'All Suzuki Models Ever Made" They list the LS400 for 1987, show no listing for a ST400 ----EVER.
Isn't this fun!!!!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #172 - 03/05/07 at 07:51:28

I just tried something. Since these bikes seem to only exist in England, I went to the biggest parts stocking dealer for Suzuki there.It's called REDCAR MOTORCYCLES. located in the Midlands. They are suppose to be able to get hard to find parts for ANY Suzuki. I filled out a request form and told them what I need, right down  to the thickness and OD dimensions. I made sure I told them that it was the outermost spacer that goes against the sprocket and that it was splined for the trans shaft. They are suppose to e-mail me back. I will let you know what happens.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #173 - 03/05/07 at 07:55:50

Yeah.  It's interesting.  The St 400 frame isn't even close to the LS either...

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #174 - 03/05/07 at 08:37:30

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Yeah.  It's interesting.  The St 400 frame isn't even close to the LS either...

I just thought of one more thing I could do if it comes down to it, and it would be stronger than the stack of tab washers. Guess what the thickness of a front sprocket with the splines is? You guessed it 10mm. All I have to do is cut one down to 40mm OD and I have a spacer. Just have to order another front sprocket for $15. I hope I can get the OEM spacer from UK, but the cut down sprocket sounds like the next best idea.It will probably cost more to ship the part from UK than it would to buy a new sprocket after I cut down the first one for a spacer. I'll find out when(and if) they e-mail me back from England.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #175 - 03/05/07 at 09:44:02

I am really struggling with the LS400 spacer set up (more so the need for it on the LS650).  I tore my rear wheel ('97 LS650) off this morning and measured the front and rear pulley's to the mounting surface on each using a parallel and a digital caliper.  Checking them two different ways I come up with an offset difference of only 0.6-1.2mm which is .024" -.047". NOT MUCH!

I personally don't think any spacer is needed behind the sprocket.

That said I am trying to figure out why the LS400 would have such a spacer.  What I do think is needed (at least on the 650) is a spacer out board of the sprocket since the threads don't go down the shaft far enough.  This could be true for the LS400 also.  That would allow them to use the same counter shaft whether it was a belt or chain set up.  Based on that thinking it wouldn't supprise me that suzuki put splines on it so that there was no chance of it turning and working the nut loose.  I can tell you from having both GS's and TS's even with splined lock washers (standard bent tab style) up against sprockets those nuts will still work loose.

WWW   IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #176 - 03/05/07 at 10:15:30

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I am really struggling with the LS400 spacer set up (more so the need for it on the LS650).  I tore my rear wheel ('97 LS650) off this morning and measured the front and rear pulley's to the mounting surface on each using a parallel and a digital caliper.  Checking them two different ways I come up with an offset difference of only 0.6-1.2mm which is .024" -.047". NOT MUCH!

I personally don't think any spacer is needed behind the srocket

Blue I can assure you that the spacer is needed.
as said before have tried this on the 650 motor with a straight edge across the 2 sprockets and they dont run true, I will try this again tomorrow as I'm waiting for bearings for the wheel, and get some pic's.

Hutch redcar m/cycles are good I get a lot of my stuff from there, got a slide &diaphram from them when I 1st got this 400 and they do list the model as does nightingales in Rugby they are on ebay.uk

allan.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #177 - 03/05/07 at 10:26:26

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hutch redcar m/cycles are good I get a lot of my stuff from there, got a slide &diaphram from them when I 1st got this 400 and they do list the model as does nightingales in Rugby they are on ebay.uk

allan.

Thanks Allan. If Redcar can't get it ,I will try Nightingales. If all else fails I will cut down the front sprocket OD and use it for a spacer, and just get a new sprocket for $15.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #178 - 03/05/07 at 11:17:55

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Thanks Allan. If Redcar can't get it ,I will try Nightingales. If all else fails I will cut down the front sprocket OD and use it for a spacer, and just get a new sprocket for $15.

What would happens if you made it a dual sprocket..like some of those old old bikes were?

You could put a thin spacer between the 2 sprockets for chain clearance, and then you'd just have to worry with changing the rear sprocket, OR you could mount 2 sprockets on the rear.  Make it a quick change setup.

Crazy thought, but it is a thought Tongue

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #179 - 03/05/07 at 17:47:54

I was looking at the front pulley it looks to have a spacer built in. I'll take a pic next time i'm in the garage.

what are the toothed washer's you all keep talking about? I guess i haven't run across them yet.

Also for all of you who are going to do the chain conversion keep an eye out on ebay. I just picked up a rear 43 sprocket for 15.99 with shipping, new.

I'll start lookin for a spacer too.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:21:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.