chain drive conversion (Read 179 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #150 - 03/02/07 at 03:51:15

I've gone from a 43 to a 46 on the back of KLX (about 7% lower), loads more fun and she is still geared for the "ton".

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #151 - 03/02/07 at 10:29:16

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey Hutch,

Here's the measure.  It is 9 mm from the seal retainer on the drive shaft....or add 1 mm from the seal.

Also, I have no idea what those notches are for.  All that I can see up in there is a bearing.  The spacer spins on the shaft.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Spacer_2085.jpg

That seems about what will be needed. 10mm. On the older models and the ls400, there was probably just a spacer without the added length going up inside the case. I have the feeling they did that to help with oil leaking problem. The two knotches probably run on the balls in the bearing, which eliminated the need for the spline. When the front sprocket pushes the spacer against the bearing balls it locks in and rotates.Thanks for the pics again Greg. All I need now is to get a 32mm socket and get to it.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #152 - 03/02/07 at 12:52:55

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

That seems about what will be needed. 10mm. On the older models and the ls400, there was probably just a spacer without the added length going up inside the case. I have the feeling they did that to help with oil leaking problem. The two knotches probably run on the balls in the bearing, which eliminated the need for the spline. When the front sprocket pushes the spacer against the bearing balls it locks in and rotates.Thanks for the pics again Greg. All I need now is to get a 32mm socket and get to it.

BTW - If you didn't know, the easiest way to break the pulley nut loose is to stick a broom stick through the pulley and let the stick chock up against the shocks.  It can go up against the bottom of the swingarm to tighten it

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #153 - 03/03/07 at 09:49:26

I don't know if anybody else has noticed a pattern emerging here or not, but if you have been following this thread and S-40 or 883?, then you should. As I said in the beginning, the reason I want to change to chain is because my bike accelerates like a rocket but has an 80mph top end with the motor screaming. Just like a drag car is set up to accelerate to it's peak in a certain distance. I will say it again, I have beat 3 sportsters 0-60. My son's father-in-law was so bummed he spent $1000 more on his sporster to beat me. The other two guys didn't probably appreciate giving me $20 a piece either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my bike is different IN SOME WAY than most. With this chain conversion I hope to make a compromise of decent acceleration and lower rpms at 75-80 mph. Gone will be the days of eating sporsters, but at least I know it is true, and so does three sporster owners. I want to thank everybody again for all the help, and I will be posting pictures and part numbers for anyone interested. It will be a while before I get to road test it(2 months) thanks to Michigan weather. Hopefully by then I will have my cables for my new handlebars. LANCER CHECK YOUR PM'S. Just kidding, after what you been through, I'd take a loooong vacation, or get drunk. Thanks again to EVERYONE!!!!!    Hutch

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #154 - 03/04/07 at 06:15:51

Hey.  You can't end this topic yet.  Where are the photos of the chain conversion?  

Just cause you ain't ridin', is no excuse for not posin".

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #155 - 03/04/07 at 07:05:12

there are 2 spacers 1st one is in the pic Greg has done 2nd one fits onto the splines as in my pic 10mm, if you measure the belt pulley the splined section it is approx 20mm deep ie 10 mm spacer & 10mm sprocket you coud use the tab washers as these are splined (mentioned elsewhere) there are some front sprockets out there that have a 5.mm spacer built into them but as yet cannot find one in uk at 17t largest seems to be 16t, do not try to fit 18t with 530 chain as it is very close to caseing, and I mean close 2mm,, .pic shows spacer not tightened up at moment just so you can see it

allan.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #156 - 03/04/07 at 07:09:21

Hey.  You can't end this topic yet.  Where are the photos of the chain conversion?  

Just cause you ain't ridin', is no excuse for not posin".

Don't worry Greg, I'm waiting for my son to get here and hold the bike while I crack the tranny nut loose. I don't want to rock the bike off the kick stand and watch it go through the front window. It will be a while before it is done. I don't move to good with these legs. Setting on the floor to work about locks me up. Can't wait to get heat and electricity in my new garage. The air hoist I have is nice, but not when freezing. I'll be posting pictures and part numbers when done. I'll have to wait until it is nice(2months) to see if I am satisfied with the 17/43 gear ratio, but I can always change the back sprocket until I get what I'm looking for.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #157 - 03/04/07 at 07:21:38

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
there are 2 spacers 1st one is in the pic Greg has done 2nd one fits onto the splines as in my pic 10mm, if you measure the belt pulley the splined section it is approx 20mm deep ie 10 mm spacer & 10mm sprocket you coud use the tab washers as these are splined (mentioned elsewhere) there are some front sprockets out there that have a 5.mm spacer built into them but as yet cannot find one in uk at 17t largest seems to be 16t, do not try to fit 18t with 530 chain as it is very close to caseing, and I mean close 2mm,, sorry can't get pics boys gone to a tatto convention with camera

allan.

It looks like I still have to find that Phantom spacer. There isn't one on the 550 and where I'll ever find one for a ls400 I don't know. Looks like a hand full of tab washers. It's always something!!! If my kid ever gets here I'll know real quick.Thanks allan!!!

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #158 - 03/04/07 at 07:46:15

It looks like I still have to find that Phantom spacer. There isn't one on the 550 and where I'll ever find one for a ls400 I don't know. Looks like a hand full of tab washers. It's always something!!! If my kid ever gets here I'll know real quick.Thanks allan!!!

I dont think it matters about the splines as when its locked up it wont know so you just need a 10 mm spacer that is a good fit over the shaft I would use ally as it's softer so should not damage anything

allan.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #159 - 03/04/07 at 10:22:57

I know everyone is focusing on the spacer because the 450 version has one....but are the cases the same on that bike as the 650?  It is possible for the little brother to require one and the big brother not to.

Just a thought?

Steveh, did your conversion bike have an extra spacer behind the front sprocket?

WWW   IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #160 - 03/04/07 at 10:50:36

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I know everyone is focusing on the spacer because the 450 version has one....but are the cases the same on that bike as the 650?  It is possible for the little brother to require one and the big brother not to.

Just a thought?

have swapped this on my 650 motor and you do need spacer for it all to line up

only difference I can fnd is bore as I'm actually swapping out the barrel, piston, head & cover to convert to 650 may need to alter generator & cdi as there is some difference in the wiring, will let you all know if it works

allan

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #161 - 03/04/07 at 11:11:42

After spending three hours looking for a spacer for the ls400, I gave up. Nobody even lists parts for them.  If they exist in the world, why can't you get a part for one in the US. I guess if you ever brought one home from Europe you would be screwed for finding parts.I even tried looking on UK sites, for get it, I'll make the F'k'n thing.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #162 - 03/04/07 at 11:31:13

Don't worry Greg, I'm waiting for my son to get here and hold the bike while I crack the tranny nut loose. I don't want to rock the bike off the kick stand and watch it go through the front window. It will be a while before it is done. I don't move to good with these legs. Setting on the floor to work about locks me up. Can't wait to get heat and electricity in my new garage. The air hoist I have is nice, but not when freezing. I'll be posting pictures and part numbers when done. I'll have to wait until it is nice(2months) to see if I am satisfied with the 17/43 gear ratio, but I can always change the back sprocket until I get what I'm looking for.

Great.  I wanna see this mod that's been talked about for so many years....this is cool.

And BTW...You didn't read my little trick for breaking that pulley nut loose, did you?  You could have it done before he gets there.  Wouldn't want him to think that Dad is helpless would you?

How do you reckon I took mine off Shocked

PS - I know about the leg thing.  I can stand and walk all day, but working on the floor can be a killer on the knees.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #163 - 03/04/07 at 11:32:16

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/03/04/bikepics-819440-800.jpg

there are 2 spacers 1st one is in the pic Greg has done 2nd one fits onto the splines as in my pic 10mm, if you measure the belt pulley the splined section it is approx 20mm deep ie 10 mm spacer & 10mm sprocket you coud use the tab washers as these are splined (mentioned elsewhere) there are some front sprockets out there that have a 5.mm spacer built into them but as yet cannot find one in uk at 17t largest seems to be 16t, do not try to fit 18t with 530 chain as it is very close to caseing, and I mean close 2mm,, .pic shows spacer not tightened up at moment just so you can see it

allan.

This is cool.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #164 - 03/04/07 at 12:01:54

Great.  I wanna see this mod that's been talked about for so many years....this is cool.

And BTW...You didn't read my little trick for breaking that pulley nut loose, did you?  You could have it done before he gets there.  Wouldn't want him to think that Dad is helpless would you?

How do you reckon I took mine off Shocked

PS - I know about the leg thing.  I can stand and walk all day, but working on the floor can be a killer on the knees.
Yes I read it and broke two broom handles. Lefty loosie I know. NO GO it won't come loose. The idiots at Suzuki probably used loc-tite. Loc-tite is for people to lazy to check there bikes over once in a while. God I hate that crap. All I ever use is never seize to keep things from locking together. From everything I gathered in the last three hours on the net, they only made the LS400 for one year, 1987, and nobody has any OEM parts. It isn't even listed in any Suzuki dealer parts searches. The only way I found out what year it was made was by looking up Suzuki model histories on some Swedish web site.I hate cobbleing things together. Just never was my style. If  you can't do it right, don't do it. Makes me wish I still worked at the machine shop like in 1969. Put me on a Bridgeport mill and I'll make anything. I loved those machines, Breaks, Shears, Lathes, man I loved working with all of them.
I'm almost tempted to buy the German kit, just to get the spacer and chain, and have a useless 50 tooth sprocket and a spare 17 tooth front. $265 + shipping sucks.  

Iwish I could stand or walk all day. Standing=1hour, Sitting =1hour, Walking=200yds, I'm done, got to lay down for an hour to get the blood flowing and stop the pain. Now we know why I don't do long distance cruises anymore, and I have to be home to cook my own food, since I can't eat anything cooked in veggie oil. Pretty much blows all fried food,fish, fries, chicken, onion rings, no mayo, no green veggies. I haven't ate outside my house in 7yrs. now SUCKS. Should have just kept drinking and I wouldn't have had ten operations for blood clots. I'd still be making $55,000 a year instead of $25,000 between SSD and a small GM pension,eat anything I want, and be in a lot better mood. That's what I get for trying to get my act together. No wonder Dad said good guys finish last.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:35:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.