Send Topic Print
chain drive conversion (Read 179 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: chain drive conversion
Reply #120 - 02/22/07 at 15:04:52

someone earlier mentioned the mechanics of the gears and that certain combinations were better than others for a given ratio, can someone elaborate?

It had to do with a 17/45 being better than 16/43 or something like that.

also, look to ebay they have 530 chains in a variety of sizes for relatively cheap.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #121 - 02/22/07 at 15:32:49

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
once you get the Suzuki part number for the spacer post it for us please

I'm hoping that someone will post ALL of the part numbers and their sources Grin

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #122 - 02/22/07 at 15:32:51

A larger front sprocket will be less likely to throw a chain, and your chain will run cooler because it will be traveling slower over the larger sprocket than it would over the smaller one. You will also not have as much chain slap, which is the movement of the chai up and down on the bottom of the sprockets. The closer you can equalize the size of the front and rear sprocket the better. You are limited by your preferred final ratio. That is why I am going with the 17/43 first.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #123 - 02/22/07 at 18:17:31

In addition to everything Hutch explained, the angle each link has to "bend" around the front sprocket is reduced the larger the front sprocket is, and it will increase the degrees of "wrap" where the chain actually has contact with the front sprocket, thereby distributing the load.

As Hutch said, the simple answer is the sprockets and chain will last longer with larger sprockets.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #124 - 02/22/07 at 18:31:43

Can I help with the sprocket and rear wheel from the 87 that started this thread? I've got the wheel off the bike and the sprocket off the wheel.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #125 - 02/23/07 at 04:40:57

How many teeth?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #126 - 02/23/07 at 04:42:28

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Well now I'm getting picky. Does anyone know  how the od dimension of the 43-45 tooth rear sprocket compares to the stock pulley od. If it a lot smaller than the stock pulley, the belt guard will look goofy and will have to be reworked or removed for cosmetic reasons. SORRY!! I'm just finicky when it comes to the LOOK.

Hutch,
My 50 tooth measures out with a tip diameter of basically 10" so using that ratio a 44 tooth should be 8.8" and a 43 tooth should be 8.6"  add .210" per side for how far the side plates stick past the major od.  It will be quite a bit smaller than the 12" pulley.  

I have to laugh becuase being a chain guy I have always thought the savage pulley looked way way too big.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #127 - 02/23/07 at 04:49:40

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
"I can measure the OD of the 17 tooth I have and then wrap the chain around it"

that'd be great, when you get time.

Here is what I found.  A 15 tooth has a major od of 3.32".  that would indicate a 17 tooth should be 3.76".  You need to add .210" per side for the chain side plates for a total diameter of 4.18".

The stock front pully is 4.32 at the flange (3.95" major) with only about .250" clearance to the cases.

This said a 17 should give about .400" clearance.

Now an 18 tooth should be 3.98" to the tips with 4.4 to the od of the chain when wrapped.  This would leave about 3/16 (.180") clearance to the cases.  Frankly I would say that is the absolute limit.  I need to review my previous ratios but I had been planning a 17 tooth sprocket.

good luck all!1

PS:  All of those who ordered parts should confirm these measurements when you get actual parts!

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #128 - 02/23/07 at 08:23:54

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Here is what I found.  A 15 tooth has a major od of 3.32".  that would indicate a 17 tooth should be 3.76".  You need to add .210" per side for the chain side plates for a total diameter of 4.18".

The stock front pully is 4.32 at the flange (3.95" major) with only about .250" clearance to the cases.

This said a 17 should give about .400" clearance.

Now an 18 tooth should be 3.98" to the tips with 4.4 to the od of the chain when wrapped.  This would leave about 3/16 (.180") clearance to the cases.  Frankly I would say that is the absolute limit.  I need to review my previous ratios but I had been planning a 17 tooth sprocket.

good luck all!1

PS:  All of those who ordered parts should confirm these measurements when you get actual parts!

Thanks smokin_blue, I definately am glad I ordered the 17. Rubber rubbing on case not bad, chain rubbing on case very bad. On decell you always have that chain raising up on the sprocket, unless your chain is as tight as a rubber band.I know what you mean about the back pulley OD, it looks like it belongs on a hill climber, or that you could get a flat and ride home on the pulley.
It looks like I will have to come up with a rework on the guard, or run with out it. Anything over a 17 tooth would definately be treading on the ice. Thanks again!!
   Hutch

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #129 - 02/23/07 at 13:17:17

Allan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hutch I posted this once before in tech section,

I have a 400 savage which is standard chain drive when the sprockets wor out i got new one for a gs550 you can also use the gt750 for diffrent ratio at the back,
you need the spacer that sits behind the front sprocket on gs 550 or ls400 to make it all line up,

hope this gives you some ideas,

allan.

It never ends allan, I now have my sprockets ordered. I call the Suzuki dealer 50 miles away and he tells me there is no spacer behind the sprocket on a 1980 GS550. He looked it up for both 550 models. No spacer. He was real busy and told me to go online and look for my self on their web site. He was right NO SPACER. They dont even list a LS400, because they weren't exported to the US I guess.Any suggestions allen or anyone??

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #130 - 02/23/07 at 13:50:47

Grin I like belt drives. Grin

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #131 - 02/23/07 at 13:59:07

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It never ends allan, I now have my sprockets ordered. I call the Suzuki dealer 50 miles away and he tells me there is no spacer behind the sprocket on a 1980 GS550. He looked it up for both 550 models. No spacer. He was real busy and told me to go online and look for my self on their web site. He was right NO SPACER. They dont even list a LS400, because they weren't exported to the US I guess.Any suggestions allen or anyone??

handfull of the locking washers - they're splined just not very thick

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #132 - 02/23/07 at 14:12:35

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Grin I like belt drives. Grin

LMAO,It seems there always is a price to pay when you want to get what you want, and not take what you are given. That is the exact reason why choppers that are hand built, cost so much.Any one who has reworked a part to MAKE it fit knows. I have built bikes(and other things) out of so many different parts from different manufactures, that I had to make a list of what year this was, what it came off from and so on. That is what they mean by custom, that is for sure. My problem is that I am never satisfied with any thing until I do some custom work or improve something somewhere. Individualality I guess. If everybody was satisfied with what they bought to ride or drive from the factory, we would never be able to find our vehicle in the parking lot. I could just see a world where the only car made was a Puke green VW Bug. Wouldn't that be a drag??? Good greif I just thought of something worse than that. What if all the females in the world looked like Brittany Spears with her head shaved. She looks like UNCLE FESTER on CRACK. YUK!!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #133 - 02/23/07 at 14:27:25

I was just "stirrin' the pot".  I do actually like belt drives overall but I wish they were as simple as chains to remove/replace.  Oh well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #134 - 02/23/07 at 15:28:05

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I was just "stirrin' the pot".  I do actually like belt drives overall but I wish they were as simple as chains to remove/replace.  Oh well.

I'm simply changing so that my spouse has a spare belt Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:20:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain drive conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.