Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wierd electrical fault. (Read 45 times)
teelzebub
Ex Member

wierd electrical fault.
02/15/07 at 14:05:39

Hi,can anybody throw some light on this one?  Savage been stood for 4 years,wouldn,t start on start button but would fire up with direct jump lead to starter motor.also noticed that when button depressed there is a short delay of 2-3 seconds and very occasionally engine would rotate and start.I have intoduced direct 12v feed into starter relay/solenoid from clutch cut out supply wire   and she will always start up-however that has now led to another fault ,namely in approx 1 in 5-6 start ups the starter keeps turning while engine runs!! i,ve already destoyed one starter motor, HELP anybody- i think it could be a duff starter solenoid (unlikely) or a faulty decomp cotrol relay or decomp solenoid??? ???

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: wierd electrical fault.
Reply #1 - 02/15/07 at 15:06:24

it's definitly not the decomp solenoid that's amking the starter keep turning over.

Here's an extremely simplified wiring diagram that my help.

you may have a faulty starter switch.  A lot of older bikes have had these go bad, usually resulting in nonstarting.

bad starter relay or decomp control is likely, IMO, or a short somewhere there.

so you've shorted +12V to the Y/G going into the decomp control?  that should make it keep trying to start all the time, assuming the start switch is out of the loop.  if it's on the other side of the clutch lever, every time you pull the clutch lever, it should try and start, then.  I can imagine that if the start swithc is in the loop, and you have a lousy switch (and return spring), a bump could occassionaly try to start the bike in the scenario you have described.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/15/07 at 21:26:44

You can rule out the decomp solenoid.  That won't cause that problem....something else maybe, but not that.

Disconnect the starter motor and check the starter relay output with a meter and the starter button.  See if the relay contacts remain closed or stick when you push and release the start button.

And since it's been sitting up for a while, disconnect and clean all the contacts.  A little CRC contact cleaner might help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/07 at 22:50:15

I have an intermittent start problem myself. Start button works, or, not. I've taken it apart, cleaned contacts & bypassed sidestand & clutch interlocks. I KNOW it's the start circuit. I put an emergency start button under the frame rail under the right front of the seat. There is a red wire under the seat & I ran it to a switch & then to the decomp controller. The decomp controller fires the starter after a short time. I used a switch out of the front of a dead dvd player, a microswitch of minute current carrying capacity & it has worked flawlessly. I do have it stuck in 2 fingers off of a blue nitrile glove, still on the circuit board & tie wrapped to the frame. This wont solve a starter problem, but will sure let ya know which end O th bike has the problem. Gregs answer looks more like the answer than mine, I just tossed that in just in case.

IP Logged
teelzebub
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/07 at 00:12:19

Thanks for your advice -all of you!! will let you know how it goes! Cheers. 8)

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 02/16/07 at 06:44:41

There are 2 possible reasons for Your problem:
1. the starter is getting power all the time when the engine is running. You can check if this is true if You start the engine and disconnect the starter "hot" wire. If the starter stops spinning, chase the problem in the starting circuit.
If this doesn't solve the problem, go to :
2. Starter clutch.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 02/16/07 at 07:36:55

I was thinking more about this...

Do you here the starter relay click?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/16/07 at 09:07:39

I noticed in my push start technique that when the clutch is let out the starter shuts off.  Makes sense that it should.

WWW   IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #8 - 02/27/11 at 04:26:05

little kick,,,(4 years)

i have same problem, switched a ground cable with hot wired cable.

anyway the starter keeps turning when i connect the plus cable to battery.

is it possible the starterrelais only let power through to the starter and don`t switch to neutral.
if i smack it with a hammer would it be ok again or ..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wierd electrical fault.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.