Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: did the ton
Reply #75 - 02/18/07 at 19:37:34

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Why do we call 100 mph a "ton"?  Shouldn't that refer to 200mph since a ton is 2000 lbs?  Roll Eyes

I think that was a word/phrase that was coined by the Brit's way back when.  
100 = 1 ton

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #76 - 02/18/07 at 20:35:26

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Do you have a tach on the bike to confirm that, or are you judging it by the sound of the engine?

LANCER, I just found out they did change the trans gears on the S-40. Check the last post on the first page of the Chaindrive Conversion thread. No I don't have a tach, but now I know my ears aren't wrong. I will check with tach just to be sure the post isn't wrong, but it will be a couple of months before I can ride in Michigan. Lancer, check the CHAIN CONVERSION thread out. I also have all the specs for the change in rpm's and another for the speed change in each gear. See what you think!!!

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #77 - 02/19/07 at 10:38:05

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'd like the image of my soon to be ex blurred in my mind.

I heard that Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #78 - 02/19/07 at 12:54:03

DUKES OF HAZARD REDUX Greg this was my 1965 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint,289c.i.,3speed withHurst Ram 3 straight line shifter,1947 Studebaker straight axle, 2 buckets with the rear seat gutted and replaced with plywood and gold shag carpet,two 12" speakers mounted in where back of seat should have been,and some comfy throw pillows. My PLAY PEN. Sold due to DIVORCE. Greg, all my cars were built in the cattlebarn in true "good ole boy" fashion. Just finally got a garage 2 years ago.  

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #79 - 02/19/07 at 13:59:01

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
DUKES OF HAZARD REDUX Greg this was my 1965 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint,289c.i.,3speed withHurst Ram 3 straight line shifter,1947 Studebaker straight axle, 2 buckets with the rear seat gutted and replaced with plywood and gold shag carpet,two 12" speakers mounted in where back of seat should have been,and some comfy throw pillows. My PLAY PEN. Sold due to DIVORCE. Greg, all my cars were built in the cattlebarn in true "good ole boy" fashion. Just finally got a garage 2 years ago.  

Ain't nothin' wrong with shade tree.  I could tell you about a time the I flipped an old Datsun on it's drivers side just to get the engine out.  The car was junk and I didn't have an engine hoist 8)

Gold shag carpet, pillows and stereo.  Back in the day when you could actually find a place to go "park".  Back when the plywood wouldn't kill your knees too Tongue

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 02/22/07 at 06:00:32

i actually did the ton on a nice long stretch of straight road yesterday. it was beautiful here in western pa almost 55 degrees wall to wall sun. but it was not on the savage but rather the vl800 and only untill the arm touched 100 then quickly off the gas it was a strange sensation i don't care to experience again. and it was about all the volusia could do.  have fun john

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #81 - 02/22/07 at 08:47:35

john1652 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
...and only untill the arm touched 100 then quickly off the gas it was a strange sensation i don't care to experience again. and it was about all the volusia could do.  have fun john

What happened?  Did you get front end wobble when you let off the gas?

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #82 - 02/22/07 at 09:03:03

Have not read all on this thread, but hear are my calculations on gear/ speed.

This is Km/h but its easy to convert the km/h to miles/h

Hope this help Odar

Click on image for larger image display.

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 02/22/07 at 11:48:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What happened?  Did you get front end wobble when you let off the gas?

no it was more of a wobbling way down deep in my intestines and a feeling they may expel their contents.    john

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #84 - 02/22/07 at 15:54:37

pass it more often than I should and sometimes before I know it on the other bike - but it's 200lbs heavier, geared tall,>2x the power, stablized fork and such

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #85 - 02/23/07 at 05:39:10

john1652 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
no it was more of a wobbling way down deep in my intestines and a feeling they may expel their contents.    john

Oh....Tongue

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 03/19/07 at 13:32:13

As for all you speedsters out there who want to have a valid assesment of their bikes performance without the police certification that costs too much and makes your insurance premium rise, I have this advice.
Tape your own (or borrowed) GPS to a sleeve and compare it's reading with your onboard speedometer at several different speeds. Write them down or memorize them and make magic marker dots on your speedo face.
That's the speedo on the bike not the one you wear on your butt. The reason for taping it to your arm is to isolate it from any possible vibration influence from the road or bike.
Your GPS reading can be trusted to be much more accurate than the on board meter as it is not affected by such things as friction, wear, centrifigal force changing the outer circumference of the tires at different speeds, etc. Not to mention that most factory stock speedo units are notorius for being in-accurate.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #87 - 03/22/07 at 22:48:29

I have held, on the freeway during cool weather, speeds in excess of 95 mph on my '01 LS650.  This was before switching to the 140/90 rear tire.  I've tuned the carb to match a screamin' eagle and cone air filter and probably have the weight down to <=300lbs.  I weight about 190.  No fairing but tucked low as possible with full face helmet, 90-98 is maintainable for a minute or two, then back to a comfortable 80.  A fork brace would greatly improve handling at top speed, as the flex of the whole bike becomes much more noticeable when pushed.  In the humid 100 degree summer days, she tops out closer to 85.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #88 - 03/23/07 at 05:47:46

The fork brace and windshield definitely make higher speeds more comfortable to me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › did the ton

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.