Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
did the ton (Read 42 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: did the ton
Reply #30 - 02/16/07 at 11:48:10

one way to figue out if the gearing is different is simply to look up part numbers.  if the part numbers are different, the parts are different.  that won't tell us what the gearing actually is, though.  also, it might be a different portion of the part in question that is different.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 02/16/07 at 11:48:58

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Just what is the factory rated hp and redline for a 06
S-40. Every where I look on line it doesn't have it for anything newer than a 04, and all are different....

What are the differences between '04, '05, and '06?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #32 - 02/16/07 at 11:58:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What are the differences between '04, '05, and '06?

Not really sure when they started calling them S-40, and that's when they lost top end or not. Sorry, what I meant buy all being different was that one site says, the hp for say a 96 is one thing and another says something else. I can't even find a site with hp and rpm stats for an 04-07 S-40.Sure wish it was warmer weather and somebody with a 80+mph Savage lived near me so you could ride mine and see what I mean. My son races dirt bikes and loves it. He calls it a street dirt bike!!!!, but said it would blow up in no time if you drive 75 for very long. SEE WHAT I MEAN!!!!

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 02/16/07 at 12:15:08

Not really sure when they started calling them S-40, and that's when they lost top end or not. Sorry, what I meant buy all being different was that one site says, the hp for say a 96 is one thing and another says something else. I can't even find a site with hp and rpm stats for an 04-07 S-40.

Honestly, I don't think there have been any internal engine changes.  I've been reading this same subject since about 2001 (when I first started online).  Everyone has wondered about the HP and a few have done dyno runs.  Everyone has tried top end speeds and 1 or 2 have made it over 100 with some mods.

I think that HP is possibly mentioned in the MOM, but I'm not sure where mine is.  30-31 HP at 6,000?  I don't know.  I do know that mine turns an even 3500 at 50 mph in 5th, so by doing the math that really tops the bike at 85.

With the exception of going from 4 speed to 5 speed and some jetting changes (excluding California models) there has been almost none...except for changing the name, too.

There are a couple topics in the tech section about changes and the carb specs, but I don't know how well they've been updated.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 02/16/07 at 12:20:11

Oh yeah, a quick check with Ron Ayers shows that parts for the Savage stopped at 2004 and the S40 started at 2005.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #35 - 02/16/07 at 12:42:13

Oh yeah, a quick check with Ron Ayers shows that parts for the Savage stopped at 2004 and the S40 started at 2005.

Well that clears that up. 05 was when they went to S-40. Can't find rpm, or hp specs for the S-40, or what year it became a 5 speed on the net. Rockin_John posted the difference in gear ratios a long time ago and it is 0.875  for the 4 speed, and 0.884 for the 5 speed. That is why the 4 speed has less acceleration but more top end than the five gear. If they changed gearing for the S-40 I don't know, but it sure seems funny that they all seem to have acceleration from he!!, and no top end.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #36 - 02/16/07 at 12:57:50

Phelonius wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
All of us who have earned the title Geezer, know the truth of the statement, "The older I get, the faster I was."

Phelonius

I know you were just making a truthful statement, but the 120 and 130mph speeds I was talking about were done by me last summer and i'm almost 56(2 months). My kids think I'm nuts(probably worried). But like I told them, "I would rather die doing something I love than in an old folks home". Has something to do with BLAZE OF GLORY , I guess???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 02/16/07 at 13:37:24

I'm pretty sure there were no gearing changes to the LS650 when Suzuki rebranded their cruiser line.  Since the shift from 4-speed to 5-speed, there have been minor improvements and cosmetic changes but nothing very big.  In my opinion, the best non-cosmetic changes are the modified starter that suffers less from backlash and the redesigned starter switch that kills the headlight during starting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 02/16/07 at 13:51:48

Well that clears that up. 05 was when they went to S-40. Can't find rpm, or hp specs for the S-40, or what year it became a 5 speed on the net. Rockin_John posted the difference in gear ratios a long time ago and it is 0.875  for the 4 speed, and 0.884 for the 5 speed. That is why the 4 speed has less acceleration but more top end than the five gear. If they changed gearing for the S-40 I don't know, but it sure seems funny that they all seem to have acceleration from he!!, and no top end.

That's true, but I do believe they changed the primary ratio when they added the higher cog.  I have those specs in the garage.  So with the primary change, they all changed.

The rest is gear ratios and power output.  I'm not sure if the Savage40 has a rev limiter or not.  Never wanted to find out...or throw a piston Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 02/16/07 at 15:25:48

Here's the Tech section topic about changes to the Savage40.  It has the ratios and other stuff.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098969517

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #40 - 02/16/07 at 16:57:09

That's true, but I do believe they changed the primary ratio when they added the higher cog.  I have those specs in the garage.  So with the primary change, they all changed.

I'm not sure if the Savage40 has a rev limiter or not.  Never wanted to find out...or throw a piston Smiley

I don't think the S-40 has a rev limiter. If it did it would have kicked in way before the rpm's I have hit with it trying to get over 80mph. I am a small block high rev nut. When everybody started going to big block race cars I stuck with small blocks. I never did like the long stroke of the Harley motor. One of many reasons I quit buying Harleys. They took forever to get rolling unless you spent a fortune to soup them up. I don't like the idea of throwing a piston either, but that's what it sounds like I'm going to do everytime I try to get to 80mph. And like I said I'm use to high rev  motors, but I cringe at the rpm's at 80 on my bike. Can't wait for warm weather to rig up a tach and find out what the r's really are when she is MAXED at 80.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #41 - 02/16/07 at 19:05:22

Well I just found a table in my owners manual that gives the following HIGHEST recomended speeds after the bike has 1000 miles on it. 1stgear,35mph@6500rpm, 2nd gear,55mph@6500rpm, 3rd gear 75mph@6500rpm, 4th gear 90mph@6500rpm, 5th gear100mph@6500rpm. Well I wasn't far off on my estimate of rpms I hear. But 90mph in 4th?? I can't get over 80mph in 5th.Doesn't sound like John 1652 can either. As far as that goes, it sounds like most of us are running a little shy of the top speed they say the bike is capable of in the owners manual. It's the 05 manual That came with my 06 S-40. Page 4-2.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 02/16/07 at 19:10:07

Hutch,

What I am thinking is to measure the distance the bike rolls for 1 revolution of the engine in each gear.
take out the sparkplug and the TDC cover.  

Back the bike up to a wall.  
Set the engine at TDC.  
Put it in 1st gear.  
Measure from the wall to something on the bike.  
and roll the bike for 1 rev of the engine.  
Measure again, subtract the first measurement.  
Now you have the final drive distance for first.  
Repeat for all the gears.  

If you measure the circumference of the rear tire, this divided by the final drive distance should give the gear ratio's.  You should be able to do this in a garage.

This might not be incredibly accurate, but should tell you if something is incredibly wrong.  I'll give it a try when I can.

In the 2002 owners manual page 24, max engine speed is 6500 rpm and top speed is 100mph.

If the stealer says that 70 for this bike is pushing it... he obviously hasn't read the manual.

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #43 - 02/16/07 at 19:35:24

The dealer said 80 was pushing it. As far as the comparing goes, don't be in a hurry. I live in Michigan and would have to dig a path through a foot of snow for 150 feet to get my bike out of the living room and in the garage. Even if I did there is no heat and the average temp has been 0-10 for 7 weeks here. It is looking up though. The weatherman say we MIGHT hit 33 NEXT Wednesday. Your lucky if you ride for 5-6 months in this state. I have lived here my whole life and still hate winter. Seven bikes and 5-6 months to ride. Sure keeps the miles low on them.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #44 - 02/16/07 at 21:21:56

The dealer said 80 was pushing it. As far as the comparing goes, don't be in a hurry. I live in Michigan and would have to dig a path through a foot of snow for 150 feet to get my bike out of the living room and in the garage. Even if I did there is no heat and the average temp has been 0-10 for 7 weeks here. It is looking up though. The weatherman say we MIGHT hit 33 NEXT Wednesday. Your lucky if you ride for 5-6 months in this state. I have lived here my whole life and still hate winter. Seven bikes and 5-6 months to ride. Sure keeps the miles low on them.

Ive been riding for 30 years, mainly on a CB. I did a bone stock early morning highway run with a 2001. I topped it out at 96 going slightly down hill after winding the bike out over 30-35 miles one way while hugging the tank. Another gear would have been another story. Perhaps over 100 albeit the suspension and stock rubber may have objected. good luck with your search for top end. Its been an inspiring read.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:33:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › did the ton

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.