did the ton (Read 42 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: did the ton
Reply #15 - 02/15/07 at 20:38:03

Well I guess john1652 and I just got lemons or something??? Mine is an 06, 152main , 55 pilot ,full spacer with full spacer, KN drop in and Jardine muffler. I has no pops or backfires. Plug is light gray. 55mpg. Acelerates like a rocket. No clutch slip and without a tach I don't no what the RPMS are at 80 but she is wound real tight and the throttle has been wound as
far as it will go for a while with no more pick up in sight.
There is no slop in the throttle cable either. I have been riding and building bikes for over 40 years so I now I haven't missed anything. The very first post I ever put up in November was about no top end on my bike and that was why I wanted to go to chain drive. Like I said I  drag raced a 1200 Sporster and stomped it until 70 mph. Other people said they could only beat 883 Sporsters up to 60mph. That is why I'm out of top end faster, all I have is sheer take off. No top end. It is geared like a drag car. The farthest I have ever drove it was 10 miles on the interstate, and I had to keep it down to 60mph so it wasn't just screaming RPMS like when I pushed it to 70+. Haven't been on the interstate since. When I'm in 5th gear at 55-60 and back off the gas it doesn't slow down gradually, it backs down like it is in 4th. I can be in 5th and hit the gas and it will take off with about the same aceleration as any of the other gears but is wound tight at 80MPH. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know how much John weighs, but it sounds like his 07 is like my 06.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 02/15/07 at 21:23:36

Hutch, you sure it's going into 5th?

Mine's real happy at 60, just purrs like a big cat.

Get a tach and make sure it's shifting.

I have a Veypor VR1, it tells me everything.  Tach, gear ratios, speed.  If I update the program, even a gas gage.  Had to have it cause I couldn't see the speedo and the road at the same time.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 02/16/07 at 05:00:00

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

Mine's real happy at 60, just purrs like a big cat.

Get a tach and make sure it's shifting.

I have a Veypor VR1, it tells me everything.  Tach, gear ratios, speed.  If I update the program, even a gas gage.  Had to have it cause I couldn't see the speedo and the road at the same time.

Handy little device, isn't it?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #18 - 02/16/07 at 05:38:51

For Hutch and John and others, my Savage (04) wouldn't really run well on the interstate either (stock). I had trouble in headwinds passing semi's etc. I'm not sure what top speed was with no head wind on a cool day, probably around 85. However that speed felt like the engine and suspension was really being tested (which I suppose top speed should be doing). I wouldn't want to ride any distance at that speed on a Savage. I believe people with modified Savages have run legit "tons," not with a stock Savage based on my experience, too much wind resistance, not enough motor.

My current MC runs 100 mph easy and doesn't feel unsafe at that speed. Also it has plenty of additional hp on tap at the right hand at that speed.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 02/16/07 at 06:01:30

I really think that a properly adjusted windshield makes a big difference here too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #20 - 02/16/07 at 07:16:44

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I really think that a properly adjusted windshield makes a big difference here too.

Oh yeah! I think even a small fly screen and dropping the handles a bit would make a big difference. It's nice to hit that "bubble" when all the turbulence is gone and everything is quiet behind the screen. This happens on my Concours between 85 and 90 mph. It's a good speed to run down the road at.  Tongue

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 02/16/07 at 07:43:03

Believe me I know it is in fifth. Kinda hard to be that stupid with over forty years experience at bike and hot rod building. The Royal Enfield 500 single I have will cruise all day at 70-75 and isn't working half as hard(RPM) as the Savage. It just takes a lot longer to get there cause it is only 22 hp and is geared different. I think it was Smokin_blue that said they changed gear ratios when they went to five speeds. I am just wondering if they did it again when they started calling them S-40 Boulevard's, cause that is all mine is good for,riding on the back roads and city streets, forget riding any distance at 75-80on the interstate. the only way it would hit 100 is the plane drop method. When I'm on the interstate(once) the semi's were passing me, and I thought I was going to cause an accident from obstructing the flow of traffic.  I have a 67 Royal Enfield  750 Interceptor 4 speed and broke the speedo cable at 120mph. I also have a 100hp plus custom, 6 speed bike and it will do 130+. I wish I could take the sixth gear out of it(who needs it when you can do 100+ in fifth) and put it in the S-40. Every time I ride it I find myself trying to shift into a non-exsisting 6th cause mine needs it. That's how high it revs at 70.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 02/16/07 at 09:04:26

I didn't mean to infer that you're a newbie just cause I am.  I've shifted into 5th a few times and found myself still in 4th or in neutral so I know the tranny is not bulit proof.
But unless they screwed up the tranny at the factory, you should be able to do a ton.  And If it were bought new, I'd be at the stealer with my biggest pair of boots on.
Is there a way to measure the gear ratios?  Maybe you could measure the distance covered per engine revolution.
I'd gladly do the same to give you a comparison.

WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #23 - 02/16/07 at 09:21:33

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
When I'm on the interstate(once) the semi's were passing me, and I thought I was going to cause an accident from obstructing the flow of traffic.

It sounds like you're lacking on the top end. Mine happily pulls very hard to 80 and has plenty more left. You're only running a 152 main jet which may be the reason yours isn't better on the interstate. If you went up a size or two on the main jet, you'd probably find that lost top end power.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #24 - 02/16/07 at 09:49:20

That is what I was thinking also. I mean this thing has all kinds of acceleration, but no top end. I can't believe it comes from the factory with a 145 jet. The 152.5 made a lot of difference and the 55 pilot took care of the backfire, I didn't even have to change the white spacer cause it is not lacking in mid range or acceleration. It doesn't seem to surge or pop at top end (being what it is) like it is starving for fuel, but that is about all I can think of too. The only other thing is the gear ratios. It was Rockin_Jonh that posted the gear ratio's for the later models and they are lower in the new models. Fifth is lower than the old 4 speed top gear. That accounts for less top speed, but more acceleration than the 4 gear. My bike has only 2,000 miles on it and maybe it is still tight, but it doesn't act like it. It just seems funny that only the 05- 07 models are the ones with no top end. Something changed somewhere. I'd like to do a poll of the S-40 models vs the Savage, with only carb and pipe mods done on each type. That would let John1652, myself and others know what the deal is.Just from what I have seen here it seems the 96-04 models are faster than the 05-07.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 02/16/07 at 10:36:31

Hutch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That is what I was thinking also. I mean this thing has all kinds of acceleration, but no top end. I can't believe it comes from the factory with a 145 jet. ....

Yeah, it is lean, and I'm even wondering if the Savage/S40 will survive the next round of EPA (i e. California) Standards when they go into effect.  The Savage is one of the last of the carb types and it is air cooled too.

Suzuki might eventually eliminate the S40 just because they can't improve it any further without fuel injection or liquid cooling...or maybe in 10 years we'll be discussing reprogramming the PCM with a new fuel profile instead Smiley

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #26 - 02/16/07 at 10:59:22

I didn't mean to infer that you're a newbie just cause I am.  I've shifted into 5th a few times and found myself still in 4th or in neutral so I know the tranny is not bulit proof.
But unless they screwed up the tranny at the factory, you should be able to do a ton.  And If it were bought new, I'd be at the stealer with my biggest pair of boots on.
Is there a way to measure the gear ratios?  Maybe you could measure the distance covered per engine revolution.
I'd gladly do the same to give you a comparison.

Thanks for the offer, didn't mean to sound like an a$$, but I rode bikes for three years before I bought a car. My dad bribed me with a car just to get me off of them. Didn't work. As soon as car was paid for ,I bought another bike and haven't quit for 40+ years.I got seven at last count ranging from 230cc-1659cc. Bought the S-40 new and dealer said 80mph was pushing it, for a 650. I asked him why my 500 single does 70+ and he didn't have an answer. My 69 triumph does 95, my 67 750 Royal Enfield does 120. The S-40 just runs out of RPM's at 80mph. It's wound!!!! Back to your offer, it will be a while before I will be riding here in this LOVERLY state of Michigan and I will have to get a tach before we can conpare. Thanks again and I will get in touch when(and if) it ever warms up here. Probably about 2-3 months.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #27 - 02/16/07 at 11:15:45

I doubt they changed the porting on the late models but I suppose they could have altered the cam timing for emissions. Compare your bike's performance to similarly modded bikes.

Changing the main jet is pretty easy and inexpensive. I'd go up 2 sizes (157.5) and give it a test ride. You might be surprised. It's easy enough to go down to a 155 or return to your 152.5.

Mine is turning some rpms at those speeds, no doubt. But is does have some power.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/16/07 at 11:17:40

All of us who have earned the title Geezer, know the truth of the statement, "The older I get, the faster I was."

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #29 - 02/16/07 at 11:38:15

Just what is the factory rated hp and redline for a 06
S-40. Every where I look on line it doesn't have it for anything newer than a 04, and all are different. They didn't bother putting it in the manual. I know most sites give 28-32 for hp, but not much on rpm. To me with all the years of working with bikes and hot rods it sounds about like 5500-6000 rpms when Im' maxed outat 80mph. If I am at top rpm ,then it is not the carb and lack of fuel, it's the gear ratios., and they change something somewhere. Maybe it is cam timing or something else. I know the way this thing  accelerates it is great for 1/4 mile and not much else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › did the ton

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.