Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage & S40 Amp and wattage needed (Read 53 times)
Edgar_Franks
Ex Member

Savage & S40 Amp and wattage needed
02/12/07 at 18:22:16

Questions I can't even get from Suzuki !
     I have a new S40 ,I want to hook up a gerbing's connector to the battery and add a heated Jacket liner and gloves .The company states that you find out how many watts the bike puts out ,how much it uses and what is left for accessories .But I can't get this answer from Suzuki or local dealers or gerbings .The liner is 6.4 amps ( 77 watts ) and gloves 2.2 amps ( 27 watts ) .I love to ride year round and don't want to short out the bike and get stuck at 20 degrees .Please Help ,thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Savage & S40 Amp and wattage needed
Reply #1 - 02/12/07 at 21:20:33

Edgar_Franks wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Questions I can't even get from Suzuki !
     I have a new S40 ,I want to hook up a gerbing's connector to the battery and add a heated Jacket liner and gloves .The company states that you find out how many watts the bike puts out ,how much it uses and what is left for accessories .But I can't get this answer from Suzuki or local dealers or gerbings .The liner is 6.4 amps ( 77 watts ) and gloves 2.2 amps ( 27 watts ) .I love to ride year round and don't want to short out the bike and get stuck at 20 degrees .Please Help ,thanks

Ya know.  That is a darn good question.  I don't think that it's been asked before.

I'll think about it, and I know that others will too.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/13/07 at 04:59:36

At least in the shop manuals here it is not listed that can be found so we really just have anecdotal evidence that output is not very high from folks that have added additional running lights where the battery runs down.  It seems we have 50 watts to spare but less than 100.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 02/13/07 at 07:19:29

insulated coveralls and best gloves you can find.maybe
elect. socks ff helmet and or windscreen...i had 40w of halogen lights and didnt like the under voltage was getting at high rpms changed to leds..some here have
70w of extra lights and have had no troubles..dont think youll get the wattage you need out of this charging system ....maybe mount a giant capacitor bank on the rear!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/13/07 at 08:12:19

Still looking, but here is one article that might help...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-jacket/

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/13/07 at 08:32:29

Kinda have to go at this backwards maybe...

This site sells a replacement stator for the Savage (no difference with S40).  They also sell a 30% higher power replacement.  They don't list any specs, but they have an email address for more information.

Part number is G09 and G109.

Still looking...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/13/07 at 08:59:45

Looking at the Suzuki Service Manual...

IF you are sitting with the High beam on, and turn signals on, brake light on with the rest of the running lights, indicator lights and the license plate light...the rated wattage consumption will be about 130 watts.  If we divide that by 12 V, we have about 10 Amps.

It also states the regulated voltage at 14 - 15.5 V at 5000 rpms, but when I've checked before the alternator seemed to produce around 13.5 V at 3000 rpms.

So, if we just sorta guess at it with a minimum 12 V and a 20 Amp fused system, we might be around 240 watts Maximum. Yet the alternator doesn't produce that much.

Don't think that you want the jacket plugged in when you start the bike...

Hmmm.  Still looking for a rated output, though.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #7 - 02/13/07 at 12:04:03

You can get close by considering the fuse rating and the voltage. 20 Amp fuse and 12V works out to 240 Watts. Also consider that the fuse rating would have to be well over the maximum steady-state current to prevent a fuse failure after an hour for no reason. I would guess that we could assume that the fuse is overrated by at least 50%. That leaves 180 Watts. Now, add up all the normal loads and subtract that from the 180 Watts. (Anyone know how much power the ignition system uses during normal running?)

The result is what you have available for accessories. I did this right after I got my Savage. I decided that I would not be buying any heated clothing. I think I figured I could have a pair of driving lights that used 70W total or I could wear a heated vest...but not both.

Ken

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 02/14/07 at 07:04:47

std battery is rated at 1.4amps(16.8watts)max charging current...the regulator/rectifier has an integrated circuit and a thyristor(gate)that keeps the generator from sending over voltage/current from cooking the battery..
any extra electrical devices(lights/heaters etc)should be run on their own seperate fused circuit...generally you only want your load to be 80% of your fuse size to buffer inrush currents..
the starting circuit is on its own fuse..
i have a led type volt meter mounted and have noticed that at higher rpms during hard acceleration voltage decreases..but hasnt gone under 12 volts..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/14/07 at 09:57:30

Does the voltage decrease at a linear rate or does it flatten on a curve?  Seems that it might as the ignition demand increases, anyway.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 02/14/07 at 12:00:36

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Does the voltage decrease at a linear rate or does it flatten on a curve?  Seems that it might as the ignition demand increases, anyway.
havent got a clue..just know it goes down the faster the coil cycles..
i dont get how a different stator would help anything without a different regulator/rectifier,then would think youd have a good chance of cookin the battery...so back to the main topic of this thread even with its own circuit i dont think the ls 650 could keep up with the 11 amps of new load(125%of stated load)the heaters would demand...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 02/14/07 at 12:09:07

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
i dont get how a different stator would help anything without a different regulator/rectifier,then would think youd have a good chance of cookin the battery...so back to the main topic of this thread even with its own circuit i dont think the ls 650 could keep up with the 11 amps of new load(125%of stated load)the heaters would demand...

sent an email off to the folks selling the g09/g109 "generator" they call it - asking about it all. 30% higher output - so what is the total output. also asked the same thing - just drop in a stator and no other changes required? might be an interesting - looks like the +30% stator w/ship to the US is around $150

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/14/07 at 13:35:59

With that in mind, then you feel a new regulator and battery (both possible) would be needed?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 02/15/07 at 06:32:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
With that in mind, then you feel a new regulator and battery (both possible) would be needed?

std battery is 14AH think(set me straight)theres a gel cell out there that fits, rated @ 16AH then one would have to research the charge rate current, if over 1.4A(std.rating)then  a different regulator/rectifier (ls 650 has a 2 in 1 unit)could be used...at these values the gain would be 24 watts..still think caps are the way to go, like for high powered car amps..got those formulas around here somewhere ,havent messed with capacitaive reactance theory for years...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 02/17/07 at 14:06:54

std battery is 14AH think(set me straight)theres a gel cell out there that fits, rated @ 16AH then one would have to research the charge rate current, if over 1.4A(std.rating)then  a different regulator/rectifier (ls 650 has a 2 in 1 unit)could be used...at these values the gain would be 24 watts..still think caps are the way to go, like for high powered car amps..got those formulas around here somewhere ,havent messed with capacitaive reactance theory for years...

You are right.  It is 14 Ah.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage & S40 Amp and wattage needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.