Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
pull (Read 3 times)
jason
Ex Member

pull
02/07/07 at 22:21:05

I'm new at this sight so bear with me. 1999 savage will crank all day long but will not fire over. when i pull it behind the truck it will fire over. After that it runs and sounds great. when it is hot it'll fire right up, but when it's cold it just cranks. someone told me to change the spark plug so i did. first i checked the old one for fire and got nothing. went and got a new ngk and still no fire. it does have power going into the coil. i chked it with a light tester.  can anyone help please

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: pull
Reply #1 - 02/07/07 at 22:56:32

A weak battery will have enough to turn her over, but not enough to fire her up.

I'm guessing that if you can push start her, you have the same problem I had.  Check the cold and or push start threads.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/08/07 at 01:18:49

I most likely will not solve this, but the guy said it will crank a long time, so that doesn't sound like a puny battery. When you are pulling behind the truck, how long till it fires? What speeds? What do you have to do with the throttle? Choke? When it's running, does it have good power? I mean, is the top end worn out to the point the compression stinks? Maybe that's why it will crank for so long, the engine is so worn out the battery isn't working hard to spin it.
I think you have a carb problem, or worn engine, Lets hope it's cheap!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/08/07 at 01:31:43

i took my battery to the dealer and he said it was good, it was holding a load. sometimes if it was warm, it would crank over, a bit chilly it would just crank and crank. The battery was good enough to sometimes start it but not good enough to start it all of the time. Id try a new battery. The decompression cable set correctly? Most important!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 02/08/07 at 04:05:59

It sounds to me like one of two things..either mixture or compression.  How is the compression?  have you had a compression check done?  

If it runs rough until it is warmed up I would go after the carb and make sure both your enricher pick up in the bottom of the float bowl is not plugged as well as make sure your pilot jet is spotless.  

The other item you didn't mention...when you pulled your plug what did it look like?  nice light brown or really dark and black?    Also, when you crank it over and it does not fire, pull the plug and see if it is wet or not.

Last item...long shot.. if not getting gas it could be a problem in the petcock.  You didn't say is this only after sitting a long time?  if so make sure you turn the petcock to prime first to fill the carb.  If it happens the next morning after you had it running the day before then it is not an empty carb.  Unless...a problem with the diaphram would cause it to not get gas unless you have very high vacuum and or be a very slow fill.  If you check your plug and it is dry after the starter won't fire it then go after the mixture side of things.  If the plug is bone dry open the drain on the bottom of the carburator to see if you have gas in the float bowl.  If you do, and plenty of it...see the paragraph above about the enricher pick up.  If you don't have any gas in the bowl or it runs fine only when on prime then go after the diaphram in the petcock.

you did not mention the thottle position when using the starter.  I don't intend to insult anyone here but if you have the choke on and opening the throttle you will most likely be flooding it.  

good luck

WWW   IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/08/07 at 07:26:27

the plug was light white on the ends. after setting for two months i had to pull the bike about three blocks. when it set for about two days it would only take a couple of feet going about 5 mph. my big ? , there should be spark to the spark plug when i test to the head area right. the compression doesn't seem to be a problem it idles fine in the cold and has great top need. it's flat out fast off the start. i don't use the thottle when starting it. i've tried choke and no chock. never chked the fuel bowl cause i guess that if fired over when pulling that it had enough.  never had a problem until i let it sat in the shed for 2 months. i got 2 suzukis so i thoyght i'd give the savage a break. now i need it back. really nice bike the dude i bought it off said he had it lowered and he also racked out the front end. i'll trie to get a pic in here some how

IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/08/07 at 07:48:38

you all will have to wait for a couple of pics i have the cd at work. i was thinking about saleing it. it's the nicest one here in the dallas fort worth area. if anyone might be interested 1,500.00 as is. saddle bags,front fork bag,drag bars,extended front forks, never been laid over. the last owner keep it in his kitchen. the only thing is that the front break handle is a little bent from smacking the door way on his way out of the house. anyone can call me 8177146703. not at work today 2-08 but work swing shift

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 02/09/07 at 04:28:46

Yes, If you hold the plug to the engine...make sure it is grounded metal and not on a rubber mounted cover or something (cooling fins work well...and away from the spark plug hole so you don't accidentally ignite anything) and you should get a nice spark when turning it over.  

I would check the float bowl once just to put that to bed.  If you have weak spark then check the grounds on the coil (where it physically mounts to the frame) and then check the connections in the signal wires going to the coil.  

Suzuki had a problem back in about '88 with the intruders haveing poor ground on the coils and made for poor idling on those.  The fix was to pull the coil and file any paint off the mount surface to fix the ground issue.  

Based on the symptoms I would check gas at the bowl first.  Confirm it is there.  Then crank with the starter and check the plug for wet.  That will tell you if you have a fuel delivery problem.  If you are sure you are getting fuel all the way to the cylinder then go after the spark.

The fact it runs so well after you pull start it doesn't make sense.  My gut still points back toward the petcock.  Have you tried putting it on prime.  let it sit for a full minute (on the clock)  then try starting it.  On prime if you open the float drain it should pour out until you cap it again.  set to ON it should pour out and stop once you get a float bowl full.

The reason I ask is my bikes in the summer if I have to fill the bowls can take a long time cranking if I don't use the prime first.  Granted those are 4 carb bikes but still a thought.

good luck
Paul

Jason wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
the plug was light white on the ends. after setting for two months i had to pull the bike about three blocks. when it set for about two days it would only take a couple of feet going about 5 mph. my big ? , there should be spark to the spark plug when i test to the head area right. the compression doesn't seem to be a problem it idles fine in the cold and has great top need. it's flat out fast off the start. i don't use the thottle when starting it. i've tried choke and no chock. never chked the fuel bowl cause i guess that if fired over when pulling that it had enough.  never had a problem until i let it sat in the shed for 2 months. i got 2 suzukis so i thoyght i'd give the savage a break. now i need it back. really nice bike the dude i bought it off said he had it lowered and he also racked out the front end. i'll trie to get a pic in here some how

WWW   IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/09/07 at 10:09:43

thanks alot. it's alittle cold right now. I'll try to get it going in a bought a week. that makes alot of sense grinding off the paint and chking the cont.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 02/09/07 at 20:59:58

Before You start "fixing " things, put Your bike on the charger for couple of hrs , turn the petcock in "pri" for 20-30 sec , pull the chock and try to start it. If it starts-  bad battery. I've had similar problem with many Suzukis. If the battery is just a little below the minimum, the buke will crank, but it will not fire. Just a little help with a charger and the bike starts.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/09/07 at 21:41:55

it has pretty much stayed on a charger while it was sitting. i'll make sure to take it out and have it tested before starting again. i haven't chked the water level in about 6 months. that;ll be first.  anything else i should look at. sunday might be a good day 2-11-07. beleive me if that fixes it you all will be the first to know. thanks for everyones help you all are great people

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/09/07 at 21:43:23

I was also able to push start with a bad battery.  8)

Put in 1st, push it up to 7 to 10 mph with the clutch in.  Before you let the clutch out, crank it with the starter.  After a couple of cranks pop the clutch.  Don't worry about the starter, once you pop the clutch the starter is disabled.  And leave the clutch engaged, it will help keep it running.  Doing this way you won't skid to a stop when you pop the clutch, god blessed 650 single! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/09/07 at 21:48:27

sweet.  Grin that makes me fell alot better. shoot  i might have time tomorrow morning. if it fires up then i'll ride it in to work sunday. i think i have that cd with the pics on it . wonder how long it;ll take to down load it

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/09/07 at 22:08:49

2nd gear is easier on a paved surface..IMHO..

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
jason
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/07 at 22:22:15

2nd gear is alot better. hopefully we want need the truck to help strat it anymore

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:12:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pull

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.