YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Super or Regular
Reply #30 - 02/24/07 at 09:19:39

The additives in certain brands of gas used to leave deposits no matter what flavor you used.  

Brand conscious owners would sometimes come in for a tune up and we'd find their sparkplugs coated with it.  A light brown ceramic like coating.

I don't know if that's improved upon as of late but alaskan oil still has more sulfur in it.

And back when I was mopeding back and forth to school, I noticed it too.  And I pulled the plug on a regular basis sand blasted it and put it back in.  Then I started using an additive called "Gas Miser" and that stopped.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 02/24/07 at 09:31:54

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
The additives in certain brands of gas used to leave deposits no matter what flavor you used.  

Brand conscious owners would sometimes come in for a tune up and we'd find their sparkplugs coated with it.  A light brown ceramic like coating.

I don't know if that's improved upon as of late but alaskan oil still has more sulfur in it.

And back when I was mopeding back and forth to school, I noticed it too.  And I pulled the plug on a regular basis sand blasted it and put it back in.  Then I started using an additive called "Gas Miser" and that stopped.

Yep, but my only change in gas was related to the grade, not the brand.  That picture is result of "all brands regular".

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #32 - 02/24/07 at 13:36:00

Bottom line here is this:

If anyone wants to ignore the facts AND the science here, go right ahead.

Otherwise, heed our advice.  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 02/24/07 at 16:00:29

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Bottom line here is this:

If anyone wants to ignore the facts AND the science here, go right ahead.

Otherwise, heed our advice.  Grin

I don't know if I'd be quite that harsh, but you pretty much have it.  

I've heard this same discussion so many times I feel like Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day.  

Even though the MOM states "regular" people still think their bike, riding style, altitude, humidity, temperature, gravitational field or celestial alignment is unique.

And I've never heard anyone say theirs is actually knocking or pinging....in which case I'd say use "premium".

Tongue

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #34 - 02/24/07 at 21:53:42

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
                          MOM states "regular"!

I don't think sound reasoning can argue with the points you made Greg. I have used the same oil and gas for many  years simply because some national brands smell like kero. I get the mileage I expect and the meters seem to give me an accurate amount on a steady basis. Only recently did I find out that the Gas company also owns the oil company that I have used for years. I use them cause, again a proven track record. Castrol oil and Hess fuel. Regular works for me just fine. No ethanol, no funny smells.

[quote Mavrik author=link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1170612967;start=25#33 date=02/07/07 at 17:50:29]

We have an ethanol plant being constructed outside of town right now, it really helps the poor farmers because the principal ingredient is corn. We got lots of that.
[/quote]
A plant like that will need to suck up all the available corn in the area forcing the price to swell to a point that the farmers that need the corn for animals will not be able to afford it. They will have to use imported corn from Chile.
What a place we live in.... Room on other planets you say...?

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #35 - 02/25/07 at 04:39:44

Quote:
A plant like that will need to suck up all the available corn in the area forcing the price to swell to a point that the farmers that need the corn for animals will not be able to afford it. They will have to use imported corn from Chile.

I guess it's a little known fact that each bushell of corn produces 2.5 gallons of ethanol and over 50 lbs. of distillers dried grains.  Farmers may finally be able to sell corn at "reasonable" prices and have enough money to actually make $ as opposed to just barely breaking even.  Currently a process to use switchgrass instead of corn for ethanol production is in the works.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 02/25/07 at 07:13:48

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I guess it's a little known fact that each bushell of corn produces 2.5 gallons of ethanol and over 50 lbs. of distillers dried grains.  Farmers may finally be able to sell corn at "reasonable" prices and have enough money to actually make $ as opposed to just barely breaking even.  Currently a process to use switchgrass instead of corn for ethanol production is in the works.

Oh no!  Some day the Arab Oil Cartel will Be replaced by the Corn Cartel.  We'll have corn shortages and ethanol rationing due to some El Nino that ruined the annual crop Tongue

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #37 - 02/27/07 at 23:35:57

Lots of deposits on the premium slug, Greg.
Additives may not help burn time, but what really turns slower than our 650?
Amoco used to claim  refining the extra step.
40 years ago my buddy called it 'while gas' as it was clear.
I still use regular if it is cool out. and/or "on the road".
IF heading out and topping up put the Amoco in as it as convienient.

But forget my 650! What about me?
If corn goes up will I have to go back to regular (Falstaff) from premo (Mich Light)????? :'(

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 02/28/07 at 10:52:58

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lots of deposits on the premium slug, Greg.
Additives may not help burn time, but what really turns slower than our 650?
Amoco used to claim  refining the extra step.
40 years ago my buddy called it 'while gas' as it was clear.
I still use regular if it is cool out. and/or "on the road".
IF heading out and topping up put the Amoco in as it as convienient.

But forget my 650! What about me?
If corn goes up will I have to go back to regular (Falstaff) from premo (Mich Light)????? :'(

Man, I've never heard anyone call Mich Light, "Premo".  I prefer the one and only Lite Tongue

IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 02/28/07 at 16:15:32

I did the ole seat of the pants test.Super vs Regular gas
an throttle back,super won.Until i started changing things,Jardine exhaust main an pilot jet an a pod filter.
Stock the lil savage isn't savage,so the extra boost showed up. It's all just personal prefrence.It's your dollar.Next we'll be puttin hydrogen in our tires. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #40 - 02/28/07 at 16:16:52

Around my house, we call biodiesel by its more common name...vegetable oil Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 03/01/07 at 04:21:05

PA KID wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I did the ole seat of the pants test.Super vs Regular gas
an throttle back,super won.Until i started changing things,Jardine exhaust main an pilot jet an a pod filter.
Stock the lil savage isn't savage,so the extra boost showed up. It's all just personal prefrence.It's your dollar.Next we'll be puttin hydrogen in our tires. Roll Eyes

I thought they put nitrogen in tires???

Wouldn't want exploding tires now.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #42 - 03/01/07 at 09:06:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I thought they put nitrogen in tires???

Wouldn't want exploding tires now.

Speaking of which... new thread.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 03/01/07 at 09:22:14

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Speaking of which... new thread.

Super or Regular Nitrogen for your tires.  Has anyone ever tried that?

Tongue

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #44 - 03/01/07 at 15:03:51

Had a speaker from the gasoline industry speak at my Rotary Club once and he told us that there are great differences in the gas delivered to different parts of the country.

Best gas to the Rockies and New England, poorest to flat old warm  Florida where I live.  The idea is to provide the bare minimum that the vehicles will run on (Read improve corporate profits).  Back in the old days when I ran my Beemer from Florida to Maine in two .days, I would always experience 2-3 MPG increase when I hit VA and North  The reverse was true on the return trip.

I agree with whoever said, "Try regular and if it doenn't ping - go with it!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:30:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super or Regular

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.