Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Super or Regular
Reply #16 - 02/06/07 at 16:13:10

syn hands down - would you feed rotten dinos to anything you cared about?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 02/06/07 at 16:43:32

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
syn hands down - would you feed rotten dinos to anything you cared about?
just my furnace oh yeah gas is rotten dino!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

On the road soon, I hope.
Reply #18 - 02/07/07 at 06:11:00

i might have a new direction for this thread... ethanol...  i know it would require having a lot of stuff fabricated from stainless steel or teflon coated due to ethanol being water soluble, but it also has a very high octane.  what other mods would you have to make to git 'er done with ethanol?  hot spark?  timing?  what are the thoughts on this?  i'm noticing ethanol starting to be sold pretty regularly around here and i'm hoping more places will go to this option.

thoughts?

Black 2006 Savage40, no mods... yet.
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 02/07/07 at 08:24:32

EntropyofMe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
i might have a new direction for this thread... ethanol...  i know it would require having a lot of stuff fabricated from stainless steel or teflon coated due to ethanol being water soluble, but it also has a very high octane.  what other mods would you have to make to git 'er done with ethanol?  hot spark?  timing?  what are the thoughts on this?  i'm noticing ethanol starting to be sold pretty regularly around here and i'm hoping more places will go to this option.

thoughts?

It's not new.  There are other threads where ethanol has been discussed fairly well.  O-rings, tubing, seals, gaskets, etc. would all need to be certified to function with it.  I've seen some of that stuff available for my Amal but the mileage is worse with ethanol too.  I'm leaning more toward a diesel bike someday.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #20 - 02/07/07 at 09:21:43

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It's not new.  There are other threads where ethanol has been discussed fairly well.  O-rings, tubing, seals, gaskets, etc. would all need to be certified to function with it.  I've seen some of that stuff available for my Amal but the mileage is worse with ethanol too.  I'm leaning more toward a diesel bike someday.

ah, my bad.  i figured someone had to have mentioned it at some point or another.  a diesel bike would be sweet!  i think the military is using them already if i'm not mistaken.  i saw some show about it a while back.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #21 - 02/07/07 at 09:29:38

The only problem I see with diesel is that in my neck of the woods the price is much higher than gas.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #22 - 02/07/07 at 10:01:42

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
The only problem I see with diesel is that in my neck of the woods the price is much higher than gas.

true, same here.  but, it does open you up to more options (i.e. biodiesel, "grease bike").

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 02/07/07 at 13:43:19

EntropyofMe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
ah, my bad.  i figured someone had to have mentioned it at some point or another.  a diesel bike would be sweet!  i think the military is using them already if i'm not mistaken.  i saw some show about it a while back.

Yeah, I keep watching http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/ to see when their commercial model goes into production.  It's a 650cc thumper (based on the KLX 650, I think) that gets 102 MPG.  I just signed up for their newsletter.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #24 - 02/07/07 at 13:59:15

Yeah, I keep watching http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/ to see when their commercial model goes into production.  It's a 650cc thumper (based on the KLX 650, I think) that gets 102 MPG.  I just signed up for their newsletter.

man, those are nice!  definitely the bikes that i saw on that show.  i'm sure it was some discovery channel program or something.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #25 - 02/07/07 at 14:07:57

was due for release this year last i checked..id do it if i had the green!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #26 - 02/07/07 at 14:50:50

Hello Savages:
Diesel motorcycles.....I dunno bikes take such little gas and are so fuel efficient compared to cars.

Of course if we could harness the power of peoples Bitxhing we would have an unlimited fuel source. Tongue

We have an ethanol plant being constructed outside of town right now, it really helps the poor farmers because the principal ingredient is corn. We got lots of that. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #27 - 02/07/07 at 15:36:22

Ethanol is a superior motor fuel to gasoline and diesel IF the motor is setup for it and it's not mixed with gasoline.  You could pump the compression ratio up to 13.5:1 and make some crazy power Grin  Have been around experiments with propane and natural gas too.  They are also superior to gasoline as a motorfuel source.  Had a truck that ran on propane.  Was sad to see it go, but the pastor of my church had need of a truck...

Anyway, high octane is great if you can use it, the problem is 8.5:1 compression can't use it.  If anyone is concerned about overheating, richening the mixture is far better for protecting the engine than running high octane (old circle-track trick.)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #28 - 02/23/07 at 20:44:01

Fuel revisited..again.
Back when I bought the 650 I had been out of work and the 38 gallon tank on the Suburban was eating my lunch, literally. :'(
So back then I ran regular except when it got hot.
Then I got busy. The 650 got me bikin again and then work  got good again.
AND, I have a new Amoco (white gas) station right down the street. So now both bikes are so economical I use the good stuff all the time, just in case. I mean how else you gonna spend a quarter these days? ???

As for cars they have knock sensors now, so they can tune down for detonation. I am not sure why cold weather would offer any other real use for premium, other than if new OBD2 cars w/ more compression would be able to crank in more advance in combination w/ cold air and more octane?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 02/24/07 at 06:31:24

When I bought my Savage, I initially thought, "Big Single needs Premium" like everyone else, and I ran premium for almost 2 years.  I thought that it couldn't hurt anyway.

In the winter of '02, I tore down my engine to fix the plug leak, and while there I decided to paint the engine.  That meant the head and cylinder were coming off....And I got to see the piston.

I had a crappy digital camera back then, but here is what I found.  (BTW-I edited this shot for Be_Savage)

Yesterday, after 5 years and another 12K miles of using regular gas, I pulled the head again.  

Here you have it.  6 times the mileage as in the first picture.

Not being a chemist, I can't tell you the scientific stuff, but the general understanding is that premium burns slower than regular to prevent knock or ping.  However, if the engine doesn't need premium it may not burn as cleanly either.

So, I will say it one more time.  If you want to run premium even though you don't hear any knock or pinging, or because it simply makes you feel good.  Go right ahead.  It's your dollar.

PS - if you right click and "view image", you'll get a bigger picture.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 18:56:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super or Regular

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.