Send Topic Print
plug cap sucess (Read 4 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

plug cap sucess
02/03/07 at 18:25:40

It took me 61/2 hours but I fixed the plug cap. I have no idea how that relates to the experience of others. not a difficult job just time consuming with all the bolts and disassembly and reassembly. I also installed a big crank battery and new exhaust gasket. Thats the best way I know to spend a rainy saturday.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Re: plug cap sucess
Reply #1 - 02/03/07 at 19:04:34

Makes it a good day!

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #2 - 02/03/07 at 19:41:27

Worked on my bike today. Too cold for six .5 hours. Did you have an exhaust leak? Were you surprised at the way the gasket looks. I have a new gasket to put in after I finish the muffler swap. No special way it goes in right? Plan to use anti-seize on flange bolts. Another reason nothing was installed today; never got above freezing. 20's and teen's today.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 02/03/07 at 19:42:42

I still need to fix the plug cap problem on mine as well as adjust the valves. Just haven't had time to do it lately.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 02/03/07 at 20:45:10

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Worked on my bike today. Too cold for six .5 hours. Did you have an exhaust leak? Were you surprised at the way the gasket looks. I have a new gasket to put in after I finish the muffler swap. No special way it goes in right? Plan to use anti-seize on flange bolts. Another reason nothing was installed today; never got above freezing. 20's and teen's today.  

Its an experiment on the exhaust gasket. I have pops on decel and I figured it was a cheap way to see if a bad exhaust gasket was the culprit. Both sides looked the same. a metal ring gasket with a white film on both sides. I saw no difference and just slid it into place and tightened up the flange. I have read numerous posts on the site that recommend you not use anti seize on the exhaust bolts. I swapped mine out to SS allens. easier to tighten.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/04/07 at 06:53:28

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It took me 61/2 hours but I fixed the plug cap. I have no idea how that relates to the experience of others. not a difficult job just time consuming with all the bolts and disassembly and reassembly. I also installed a big crank battery and new exhaust gasket. Thats the best way I know to spend a rainy saturday.

With practice, I've gotten it down to 4 hours...but that was with some preparation that I didn't have the first time around...you know, having sealer, tools, cleaners, etc on hand.  I'd say that 6 1/2 is doing really great.

What else ya gonna do on Super Bowl Saturday?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 02/04/07 at 07:23:52

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
With practice, I've gotten it down to 4 hours...but that was with some preparation that I didn't have the first time around...you know, having sealer, tools, cleaners, etc on hand.  I'd say that 6 1/2 is doing really great.

What else ya gonna do on Super Bowl Saturday?

Its been covered completely on the sight. I had everything set up prior to starting. Its hard to be confused when the entire procedure has been spelled out and illistrated. The bolt holder was one of the most useful peices of info. I may watch the superbowl on sunday. pro ball is not my cup of tea, although college ball is another story.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/04/07 at 08:46:31

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Its been covered completely on the sight. I had everything set up prior to starting. Its hard to be confused when the entire procedure has been spelled out and illistrated. The bolt holder was one of the most useful peices of info. I may watch the superbowl on sunday. pro ball is not my cup of tea, although college ball is another story.

Those setups, like the bolt holder are exactly what I mean.  If ya know what I mean Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 02/04/07 at 08:58:22

No doubt.  That bolt diagram taped to a cardboard box worked wonderfully.  Thanks Greg.  Now if I just hadn't broken that one bolt... Oh well, done and fixed and hasn't leaked in a long time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/04/07 at 09:10:05

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
No doubt.  That bolt diagram taped to a cardboard box worked wonderfully.  Thanks Greg.  Now if I just hadn't broken that one bolt... Oh well, done and fixed and hasn't leaked in a long time.

To be honest, the bolt pattern thing is something that I learned a long time ago, with regard to keeping the head bolts straight with an auto engine rebuild.

Did I hear you say, "broken bolt"?  Ain't it fun?

I got her out Tongue

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #10 - 02/04/07 at 09:14:11

I had mine apart yesterday too, was gonna adjust the valves, but ended up just checking them, they are somewhere around .005 on intake and .008 for exhaust, so i left them be. A little loose I can live with, kinda relieved they weren't too tight. I have to get some hoses, like breather, gas and vacuum, they are getting brittle.

Ended up putting in a new iridium plug, new air filter, and changing oil to 20-50W, maybe my Plug Cap Leak will slow down a little.

It'll be 80°F here today, Gonna do some riding while the streets are nearly empty (super bowl).

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 02/04/07 at 17:30:03

CONGRATS BREW BRO,
Thats' good time.
it took me about 2 days the 1st time, and even then i got the chain off by 2 links (yes i did cam chain at the same tine)
for anyone thinkikng about tackling these things YOU CAN DOOO IITTT

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #12 - 02/04/07 at 18:45:33

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
CONGRATS BREW BRO,
Thats' good time.
it took me about 2 days the 1st time, and even then i got the chain off by 2 links (yes i did cam chain at the same tine)
for anyone thinkikng about tackling these things YOU CAN DOOO IITTT

I salute your efforts sir. To all those planing on this repair remember the following. If it is to be it is up to me.
I am far from a mechanic but this is an easy bike to wrench. Everything is right here on the site. Down load, print, and get busy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/04/07 at 19:48:38

My personal feelings on "loose is good" valve settings may clash with the generally accepted view. I don't know what the cam profile is & what kind of velocities it creates at the rocker/valve stem gap. Seems to me if the valves are set loose the rocker gers a good run at it & could mushroom the valve stem tip. I have no idea if that's really an issue, just something I have thought about & avoid the possibility by keeping the valves set on the tight side.

Congrats on the plug sealing..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 02/05/07 at 05:01:52

Loose is better than tight... at least when it comes to valves.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug cap sucess

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.