Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spacer Mod Woes (Read 11 times)
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Spacer Mod Woes
02/03/07 at 06:22:48

Have right at 1000 miles on my '06. Just finished putting a dyna muffler on, doing the spacer mod, 55 pilot and 152.5 main jet. Fired right off after the float bowl filled. Idles great, mixture screw appx 1 1/2 turns out. Awesome sounding muff. Only circled our block on the test run due to snow melt and it getting dark (I know it's only a matter of time but I haven't dropped her yet). Full throttle was awesome!! Holding steady 20 mph in first gear I have a significant surge. Thought maybe it was still cold so I pulled the choke to the first notch which flooded and killed the motor. The main jet did not look like the one that came out. The thread length and pitch was the same. The head is smaller. We had ordered the big round jet from the catalog. I verified the part # because the dealer parts guy was the typical parts guy.  Any thoughts before I tear her back apart???? BTW my first time in a bike carb. Really simple. I did spray everything out with carb cleaner and everything looked spotless. Thanks for any advice!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Re: Spacer Mod Woes
Reply #1 - 02/03/07 at 07:07:27

The 152.5 screw head diameter is 7.8mm, if that helps.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/03/07 at 08:15:42

The head diameter doesn't make any difference.  Just the threads and the hole.  I believe that the one I'm running is smaller than stock too.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 02/03/07 at 10:15:19

Quote:
Full throttle was awesome!! Holding steady 20 mph in first gear I have a significant surge. Thought maybe it was still cold so I pulled the choke to the first notch which flooded and killed the motor.

Maybe I read this wrong, but if your engine is running great, you don't pull the choke out.  I only need the choke on my totally stock bike for 30-60 seconds, even down to 32 degrees.  I never use the choke on my son's dirtbike.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #4 - 02/03/07 at 13:29:14

Didn't think the head diameter would make any difference. I pulled the choke out because I had such a surge trying to hold a steady 20mph Ithought it might be lean/cold. It was about 30 degrees but I hadbeen running the bike for about 10 minutes at idle. Other than the surging it runs fine.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 02/03/07 at 14:02:29

Hey guys!! Thanks for the help and suggestions!!! Realized what was wrong when I went for another test spin. It helps any motorized vehicle to have GAS in it. I had put a little gas to leak check everything but never put the rest of the gas in. Don't mind fessing up my errors if it may help someone else. Just living up to the NEWBIE image I reckon!!!!!!!!!

grandpa   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 02/03/07 at 14:11:08

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hey guys!! Thanks for the help and suggestions!!! Realized what was wrong when I went for another test spin. It helps any motorized vehicle to have GAS in it. I had put a little gas to leak check everything but never put the rest of the gas in. Don't mind fessing up my errors if it may help someone else. Just living up to the NEWBIE image I reckon!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that will make them run kinda funny!  Cheesy

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/03/07 at 14:26:28

lucky you weren't further from home & you & the bike did not "surge" to a full stop, needing you to then push the darn thing home. never ran out of gas on a bike but have on a car. yeah - I know they have a gas guage but I was not used to looking @ it (soon after got a 4 wheeled vehicle & anyway guage was false). discovered unlike most bikes (my BMW doesn't - just 1 gas guage & 1 low gas  light) they don't have a reserve tank! did not push car as I have bikes in the past when had issues! Grin

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 02/03/07 at 16:56:07

Don't worry about using the small head main jet, I've had one in my carb for two years with no problems. Now being out of gas is a problem, glad you figured it out before tearing the carb apart.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
cmbmw
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 15:56:38

So now that you've got her all good to go, how would you describe the performance gain over stock?  Was the Dyna muffler stock or free flow.  (drilled out or Screamin' Eagle)

Thanks,  I'm going to tune my wifes savage soon and am trying to collect info on a good starting point that'll get me close to where I need to be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:40:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spacer Mod Woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.