Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Beat up fuel tank...Help (Read 12 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Beat up fuel tank...Help
Reply #15 - 02/01/07 at 22:51:41

It was thoughtless of me not to mention that, now that there's to be a hawg tank on my yellow/orange 2k LS650, my old tank is more than willing to move on to a new home. The person who had the bike before me laid it down hard enough, I guess, that it needed a tank replacement. It's off of a '96 I believe as I think that was another year they did yellow. A different yellow and a different decal. It's got a scratch in the paint on the back top, but no damage to the tank metal itself. I had to cut the pegs off of the frame that the stock tank slides onto so it's not going back on, ever. What's a fair price with shipping? I live in south central Minnesota. That could include the pet-thang, the gas cap (with a key) and the speedo (and cable) , although I think I want to keep the lights that are in the speedo case to put into the handlebar brace or somwhere.

And as long as we're talking parts I would really like to get my hands on a set of 11 1/2" to 12" shocks for this puppy as well. Money is an object, so the cheaper the better. I'm going to be trying to fabricate a hitch for this thing in the spring and I want the clearance for bag braces and any extra space for the hitch so as to be nowhere near the tire.

To the fella who's planning a 3k+ mile trip, I did a 4,200 miler this last summer on mine and it was just great. Keep it a little below 70 mph and the vibrations aren't too bad. I did several 500 mile days just fine, although I have a V-Star seat on it and used a gel pad too for the trip home from Miami. Go for it. I did interstate, back roads and all over Miami, FL and the bike handled it with 180 pounds of me and probably close to another 100 pounds of stuff as well.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #16 - 02/02/07 at 03:29:09

old mechanics trick. get a foot ball, and deflate it. put in tank, and SLOWLY pump it up. tapping on the outside or use a small suction cup. pull on the dent. some times it works, some times not, but worth trying. ps keep the filling spot reachable, my kid brother sold a car with the football and hand pump in it Grin he couldnt reach to let the air out!!!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 02/02/07 at 09:53:00

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It was thoughtless of me not to mention that, now that there's to be a hawg tank on my yellow/orange 2k LS650, my old tank is more than willing to move on to a new home. The person who had the bike before me laid it down hard enough, I guess, that it needed a tank replacement. It's off of a '96 I believe as I think that was another year they did yellow. A different yellow and a different decal. It's got a scratch in the paint on the back top, but no damage to the tank metal itself. I had to cut the pegs off of the frame that the stock tank slides onto so it's not going back on, ever. What's a fair price with shipping? I live in south central Minnesota. That could include the pet-thang, the gas cap (with a key) and the speedo (and cable) , although I think I want to keep the lights that are in the speedo case to put into the handlebar brace or somwhere.

How much would you want to part with it? All I would need is the tank itself, my speedo, petc0ck, and everything else is in perfect condition. Do you got any pics of it?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 02/02/07 at 14:20:47

I haven't a clue what the going rate for used savage tanks is. Whatever's fair plus shipping works for me. You check around, I'll check around. And maybe someone here can tells us what's a good deal for all concerned. As for pix, I can email you some if I get your address. There are no dents at all and just the scrape in the paint on top back near the seat. You're going to paint it anyway, right?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #19 - 02/02/07 at 18:11:25

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I haven't a clue what the going rate for used savage tanks is. Whatever's fair plus shipping works for me. You check around, I'll check around. And maybe someone here can tells us what's a good deal for all concerned. As for pix, I can email you some if I get your address. There are no dents at all and just the scrape in the paint on top back near the seat. You're going to paint it anyway, right?

My e-mail address is yonuhadisi@tds.net

And yes, I plan on repainting the whole bike. Never was fond of the color green.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 02/02/07 at 21:13:28

It doesn't look green in that itty bitty picture.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #21 - 02/03/07 at 18:52:10

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
            enlarging it thusly:
http://paladin.savageriders.com/LL2007-1a.jpg
Photochopped to slice the tank horizonally.  (With the top half of the tank lifted, pounding out your dents would be next to nothing.)  Add a 2 to 3 inch tall band of steel and silver-solder or braze back together.

Paladin:
How much time is involved or better question how much to have someone with the expertise fabricate a tank like that.

BTW If the dents were from butt cheeks they would have taken the bike and we would not be having this conversation.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 02/03/07 at 20:43:25

I have no idea.  But I do know I do not want a wider tank, longer is not really an option, so taller is the only way to go if I want a higher capacity tank.  The photochop job tells me it would not look bad.  Probably would delete the speedo cavity, go with something handlebar mounted.  It is on my list of "Things I would Like to try."

If the dents are from butt cheeks, it wasn't the bike that was being riden.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 02/03/07 at 21:00:48

Fido_the_Cat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
BTW If the dents were from butt cheeks they would have taken the bike and we would not be having this conversation.

Huhh?  Who is "butt cheeks"?  And where and why would they take the bike?  Are they in this with butt cheeks?  I'm freakin'... a little...    this butt cheeks dude is kinda' scary....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #24 - 02/04/07 at 06:41:28

That pic looks like it was vaccumed . or sealed too much at the cap.  and run hot and empty,could have caused it.. I dont think there was any "trick riding" there.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 02/04/07 at 08:50:48

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That pic looks like it was vaccumed . or sealed too much at the cap.  and run hot and empty,could have caused it.. I dont think there was any "trick riding" there.

What part of the engine is gonna suck the tank in like that?  The fuel pump?

Inquiring minds wanna know???

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #26 - 02/04/07 at 18:52:42

No fuel pump on a savage that I have found yet...unless you count gravity but I aways thought that sucked.  Grin (you know they say gravity doesn't exist the whole world just sucks!! Grin Grin)

If you want to run with the vacuum theory think a heated tank from a hot engine while sitting in rush hour in the hot sun and the pressure that builds up vents out through the gas cap (through vent or cap lifts slightly).  Now pull in and park it in the cool garage the vent on the cap fails and the cap is sucked down tight as the air/gas inside cools off.  Now at 14.5 psi of atmospheric pressure all around us and based on the size of the dents (say 4"x6" each so 48-50 square inches) you theoretically could reach a maximum of 350lbs force on each dented area.

Might just do it.

There is an old science trick where you heat a one gallon can over say a fire and then slap the cap on and let it cool.  crushes like a pop can!

personally I like the butt cheek theory.  I have heard a lot of fun can be had on a parked bike!

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #27 - 02/04/07 at 18:53:35

Found a tank on e-bay, what is funny is the seller is in the same town I am living in. He is parting out an 87 Savage. Sent him a message to see if he is willing to do a little horse trading, cause I ain't got 40 bucks.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #28 - 02/04/07 at 22:09:48

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What part of the engine is gonna suck the tank in like that?  The fuel pump?

Inquiring minds wanna know???

Never heard of a venturi-powered vacuum pump? The low pressure caused by the venturi effect as in a carburetor can be a very powerful vacuum device.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #29 - 02/04/07 at 23:27:49

I just made one heck of a deal with the e-bay seller for that tank. He will give me what is left of the 87 he is parting out for a few of the parts I have that I can't use.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:19:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beat up fuel tank...Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.