Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's official ! I've been bitten by the bug!! (Read 10 times)
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
It's official ! I've been bitten by the bug!!
01/31/07 at 21:37:04

Got my '06 on 10/23/06 with 76 miles on it. Have read this forum daily. Have done the seat mod, gotten rid of the factory saddlebags from the previous owner and the engine guard bars. A coworker got a new Harley Dyna a few weeks ago. Gave me his complete header pipes and two mufflers swapped out for screaming eagles. Test rode my bike tonight in the snow flurries at 9:30 PM.  WHAT A SWEET SOUND!!! New main due in Friday. Already have my pilot jet. Doing the carb Saturday I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE SAVAGE BUG!!! Can't wait for spring to spring!!! A sportster seat is next on the list as well as debadging Suzi!!! Thanks for all the insight and great help this forum has been!!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: It's official ! I've been bitten by the bug!!
Reply #1 - 01/31/07 at 21:56:47

good for you - welcome to the site & riding a Savage/S40  Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/01/07 at 02:04:04

Hearing that makes me want to ride, but mine is all torn apart right now.  I need to get the thing back together and on the road soon.

IP Logged
steveh
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/01/07 at 06:56:21

Congrats! Makes me want to get out in the garage and finish putting my engine back together!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 02/01/07 at 07:31:09

Welcome to the 'club' Grandpa. Your description of "bug" is accurate for me, I just can't seem to leave the thing alone. It can become an obsession. Enjoy and ride safe!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/01/07 at 08:05:24

WOOF

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 02/01/07 at 12:57:19

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE SAVAGE BUG!!! !!

there is an ointment for that.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/01/07 at 13:19:31

Apply liberally upon one's seat. Vigorally rub in using the seat of the biter.  Repeat daily.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 02/01/07 at 13:23:27

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
A sportster seat is next on the list as well as debadging Suzi!!! Thanks for all the insight and great help this forum has been!!!!

Don't rush out with this mod! I have 06 S40 too and bought a Sporter seat on ebay. I haven't put it on the bike yet but I put it next to the OEM seat and here is my thought.
1.Sporter seat will give you about 1 1/2" leg room
2.The passenger seat is about 1" wider and 1" longer
3. However the with of the rider's saddle is slimmer than OEM
4. Thicknest of the foam is about the same

So if you are taller than 5"7 then it is a good mod; otherwise it's a waste of effort. Personally if you want a more comfortable ride on long road trip, you are better off w/t after-market seat pad.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 02/02/07 at 09:52:58

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Don't rush out with this mod! I have 06 S40 too and bought a Sporter seat on ebay. I haven't put it on the bike yet but I put it next to the OEM seat and here is my thought.
1.Sporter seat will give you about 1 1/2" leg room
2.The passenger seat is about 1" wider and 1" longer
3. However the with of the rider's saddle is slimmer than OEM
4. Thicknest of the foam is about the same

So if you are taller than 5"7 then it is a good mod; otherwise it's a waste of effort. Personally if you want a more comfortable ride on long road trip, you are better off w/t after-market seat pad.

I'd have to agree that if I'd had a newer Savage with the stock one-piece seat, I might have hesitated with the Sportster seat. I've not even sat on the new Savages, but the seat looks much more comfortable than the old original ones. With my old style seat, and my 5' 10"+ height the Sportster seat was really a must-do for me.

And speaking of which, I just got mine mounted in time for all the ice and snow down here, so all I've gotten to do with my Sporty seat is sit on it in the garage ... grrr  Angry

I can hardly wait to see how the seat feels after riding a full tank of gas out in one sitting!  Smiley

IP Logged
Flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/04/07 at 16:05:38

Hello Everyone!  I'm brand new to your forum.  I'm in the market for a new bike and I have narrowed it to the S40 and v-star 650.  Browsing through this site i'm leaning towards the s40.  I'm basically looking for a Cool looking ride, reliable, mainly for daily work commute.  So, i'll stick around and browse till I make my final decision.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #11 - 02/04/07 at 19:26:41

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'd have to agree that if I'd had a newer Savage with the stock one-piece seat, I might have hesitated with the Sportster seat. I've not even sat on the new Savages, but the seat looks much more comfortable than the old original ones. With my old style seat, and my 5' 10"+ height the Sportster seat was really a must-do for me.

And speaking of which, I just got mine mounted in time for all the ice and snow down here, so all I've gotten to do with my Sporty seat is sit on it in the garage ... grrr  Angry

http://www.catoosatrading.com/images/vehicles/cycles/my_ls650/sporty_seat.jpg

I can hardly wait to see how the seat feels after riding a full tank of gas out in one sitting!  Smiley

I traded my ls650 seats for an s40 set up. IMHO, the s40 is a vast improvement.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 02/05/07 at 04:59:04

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I traded my ls650 seats for an s40 set up. IMHO, the s40 is a vast improvement.

Me too.  I have the S40 pillowtop on my 98 and I find it a definite improvement.  The only thing that really gives me pause to consider possibly changing to a Sportster seat someday is the fact that Kropatchek has gone from the Savage two-piece seats to the S40 one-piece seat (I don't recall which version) and now to the Sporty seat.  If I'm not mistaken, he has stated the Sportster is easily the best.  His opinion is one I trust.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #13 - 02/06/07 at 00:53:54

Thanks for the comments on the seats. Got my bike in mid Oct and have only commuted to work and back and a few neighborhood runs. I am 6' and 300 lbs (I know, I know). Need a little more cush you know. A little extra room to the rear and lower back support would be great and the sportser seat threads I have read seem to give that. The coworker I got my dyna muff from has a solo dyna seat available. Anybody have any experience with installing one of these??? Haven't had time to look at it due to work schedule and all.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #14 - 02/06/07 at 03:35:55

here is a place to look for the backrest.
http://www.protac.net/protac_business001.htm
Welcome to the savage world! Grin

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:38:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's official ! I've been bitten by the bug!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.