Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More low/midrange power (Read 28 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
More low/midrange power
01/30/07 at 19:20:44

Does anyone know/have experience with a 34mm or 36mm carb on the Savage?  Theoretically, a 20-30% smaller carb should give big low and midrange gains...of course you'd give up some top end Undecided

Thoughts?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: More low/midrange power
Reply #1 - 01/31/07 at 06:30:46

i've been considering it. i'd do just about ANYTHING,, to get away from that d@mned CV carb!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 01/31/07 at 06:38:32

Sorry, my Amal is 38mm.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 01/31/07 at 14:14:53

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Does anyone know/have experience with a 34mm or 36mm carb on the Savage?  Theoretically, a 20-30% smaller carb should give big low and midrange gains...of course you'd give up some top end Undecided

Thoughts?

What do you want to know, specifically?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 01/31/07 at 16:11:58

I'm willing to give up top end for low/midrange power and gas milage.  I like simple.  I have a slide carb on my dirt bike and it seems to have better low/midrange power than my Savage.  I'm wondering if I could get similar low/midrange out of my Savage (and throttle response) by going with a smaller slide carb, not to mention a simpler setup.  I know the formulas for cfm for cubic inches in car engines, but I'm too lazy right now to do the calculations to translate to milimeters and cc's and was wondering if anybody had empirical data on the subject.  Also, I found a source for 36mm carbs for $150 bucks apiece and I think they'd fit without too much JERRYRIGGING  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/31/07 at 18:05:12

I have put together carb kits for the Savage for 2 years.  I have used Edelbrock Quicksilver flatslides (rebuilt used ones), new Amal Mark II's ... both 36 & 38mm, and currently use Mikuni 36mm VM roundslide carbs.  They are the best for the money in a new carb, parts are plentiful and cheap, and they are easy to tune and make great power on a big single.
The 36mm VM will flow more air/fuel than the stock Savage carb and will make more power from idle to full throttle and do it with much better responsiveness.  When changing to a performance carb it is of course suggested to replace the stock exhaust system with a more free flowing system ... at least the muffler anyway ... but the header could use replacing as well.
The minimum required to make a roundslide carb work on the Savage is the carb, mounting flange and custom made throttle cable.  The carbs retail for $140, the flange for $22 and the cable at $38.
Take a look at the pic below and you will see most of the parts I have included in the carb kits.  I now also offer 2 additional items from Thunder Products, which are the UFO (Ultimate Flow Optimizer) and the DAJ (Dial-a-jet).  Both of them will improve responsiveness and power even more, and also make jetting adjustments easier.  They retail for  $30 & $75 respectively.
The kit as shown in the pic sold for $345 last year, and that did not include the UFO or DAJ.
My throttle cables are custom made by Barnett, and there are 6 different models made to perfectly fit both old 80's models and the newer '95-present model Savages with any of the carbs used to this point.  I spent several months working with the cable tech manager at Barnett in order to have a Savage specific product ... with Barnett part numbers ...  in their system.
I do not know of anyone else on this or any other continent that has put together as complete a carb kit as I have.
The carb comes prejetted for the Savage engine in general, and includes additional main and pilot jets for the fine tuning of your carb to match your engines specific needs.

Current carb kits may be as follows (I have not finalized the kit for the new year yet):

Required

-36mm VM prejetted carb with jet kit
-mounting flange with stainless bolts
-custom throttle cable

Optional

-carb tool
-K&N or Emgo air filter
-Iridium spark plug
-Sudco/Mikuni tuning manual
-Dial-a-jet (DAJ)
-Ultimate Flow Optimizer (UFO)

I have always given a 10% discount on all carb kit and some other parts to anyone who is a member of this website, when ordered through this website (ie, not through my ebay sales ads).

If you have additional questions specific to your bike then just send me a IM.  If it is something that is useful for everyone to hear then ask on this thread.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/31/07 at 19:49:26

Dial-a-jet

UFO  

TPI ... installed in the side of the air box, it allows more filtered air flow ($17-50 & $20-60 depending on size and number of valves)  The Savage would use the basic models in most cases.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 01/31/07 at 21:29:04

Darn.  I don't know if I'm in eBay or the Marketplace, but I know that "I want one" Smiley

Now translate...

What is UFO?  Unusually Foul Odor?

What is TPI?  The Part Indicated?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/31/07 at 21:49:59

Lancer, you're going to have to post your site.  I know you have one.  Your badge used to give a hint where it is, but you don't have that anymore.  And I'm wondering if you have a savage specific site?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/01/07 at 01:47:17

I had an ebay store but had to shut it down a few months back because  the costs where getting to high and because of all the family stuff that was going on.   I could not keep it all going at the time.

I do have a website but it is not yet set up the way I want.  The info on it is incomplete and/or out of date.  If you just want to take a quick look it is  

www.savageperformance.com

Until I can get the site in proper order I will post on the market place or make an announcement.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 02/01/07 at 03:13:26

I have a GSXR 600 muffler that I'm going to swap in.  Don't know how that will work, and it may prove to have too much flow, but that's my next project.  

What kind of gas milage do you get with the 36mm round slide?  This may be an irrelevant question since I know you've "significantly modified" your steed  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 02/01/07 at 03:42:28

Quote:

What kind of gas milage do you get with the 36mm round slide?  This may be an irrelevant question since I know you've "significantly modified" your steed  Grin

I average 46-48 mpg.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 02/01/07 at 05:32:40

[quote author=LANCER link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1170213644;start=0#5 date=01/31/07 at 18:05:12]The minimum required to make a roundslide carb work on the Savage is the carb, mounting flange and custom made throttle cable.  The carbs retail for $140, the flange for $22 and the cable at $38.

will that carb or any of the others plug into the stock air box? i may have asked that question before,,,,,but i've slept since then Undecided  thanks lancer for all your effort in this area.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/01/07 at 06:21:46

There is a little difference in the OD of the stock carb and the 36mm VM but should be able to hook up to the air box.
I have on occasion cut a strip of rubber from a tire tube and wrapped that around the outside of the carb and then slipped the filter (or tube from the air box) over that and then tightened the clamp.  It is easy, cheap and works great, making a perfect seal.  
I have swapped out so many carbs of different types, sometimes 3 or 4 in a day, while trying to decide what worked best with which type of muffler, that using rubber tub material became a stock item for me.  I keep it around for making gaskets or whatever, it can be very handy and will last a long time.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 02/01/07 at 08:18:07

lancer, you gotta tell us what the TPI is and HOW it does it!

okay, "tpi and knobby" on google gives: link

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:27:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More low/midrange power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.