Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wider handle  bars? (Read 9 times)
john1652
Ex Member

wider handle  bars?
01/20/07 at 09:06:20

after riding the vl 800 for a few hundred miles the Savage feels very small when I get on it. Now I have always thought the Savage was a bit pushy in turns, in other words it seems to push to the outside in turns. I am wondering if wider handle bars would make a difference in this.  has anyone tried it??????   john

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: wider handle  bars?
Reply #1 - 01/20/07 at 11:05:50

I've got a straight drag bar nearly 3ft long.  I can make a sharp left turn with my left hand on my hip at speed (i.e. steering w/ my right hand).  so yes, long drags make steering easy.  on the newer one I have, it still has the narrow stock buckhorns.  it is much harder to turn.  I do need a little bit of rise and pull back, though...  very little force is required to turn.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 01/20/07 at 21:34:12

I didn't go quite as far out as Vroom1776, and mine aren't perfectly straight. maybe 1"-2" lift and maybe 15º of angle back. But the wider 32" width is probably the best thing I've done to my Savage yet!

Sure, your arms are out in the wind a bit more, and there is a bit more drag on you and the bike, but it is well worth it to me when going around corners the feel and control is vastly better IMO. Of course this type or thing is very subjective so YMMV

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/20/07 at 21:35:51

I'm using 36" wide drag bars (with pullback, not straight) on pullback risers and I love the control.  They are quite comfortable too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #4 - 01/21/07 at 05:18:31

I agree. I have some Z style dragbars. 4" rise, 4" pullback and 32" wide and they give me much more control than the pullbacks I originally had.

WWW   IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/07 at 13:21:32

aceace wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:

what the h-e-- double hockey sticks does that have to do with handlebars?????   glad i wasn't lookin while i was eating.   john

posting with link deleted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:45:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wider handle  bars?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.