Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What year Savage is best (Read 13 times)
Scooter
Ex Member

What year Savage is best
01/13/07 at 09:16:37

I am not as strong as I used to be and I think I have shrunk as well so I am thinking of trading in my Honda Spirit VT 1100 for a Savage LS650 / S40. Is there a year Savage that is better than other year? Or should I just go for a 2007 model. Thanks for your advice.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: What year Savage is best
Reply #1 - 01/13/07 at 10:09:55

Not much difference year to year but the plug leak was fixed in 2002. The 2005 had a few styling changes & some like the seat better but some don't like the drag bars as much as the pullbacks on earlier models.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 01/13/07 at 10:12:58

BBQGeo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I am not as strong as I used to be and I think I have shrunk as well so I am thinking of trading in my Honda Spirit VT 1100 for a Savage LS650 / S40. Is there a year Savage that is better than other year? Or should I just go for a 2007 model. Thanks for your advice.

I might be a bit biased in saying that 2000 is Best, but I'd also be joking too.  Of course, newer is better, but really there have only been a few changes in 20 years.

If I had to choose, I would find out what year the Savage40 recently changed some of the handle bar controls.  I'd go for the year they changed the headlight switching if I wanted to get a used one...

Sorry, but I can't remember when that was...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/13/07 at 10:34:28

Same as Greg, I'd say to get a 2005 or later to have the latest changes, including auto shutoff of the headlight during starting.  I love my 98 though.  I just installed a small toggle switch in the top/back of the headlight bucket which I turn off when I park and turn on after starting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/13/07 at 13:52:27

Isn't there also a "flash" feature on the headlight switch?

I also thought there was some kind of change with the parking light....dunno

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 01/13/07 at 15:22:26

I like my 2002. I like the handle bars on this model much better that the new ones. It isn't an appearance thing, it is a comfort thing.
This bike fits me perfectly. I just wish the seat would not make my butt go numb after thirty miles.
The seat looks a lot like my old 1969 Yamaha DT1B 250. I don't remember that Yamaha seat giving me this much trouble.
I don't ride very far anyway, so I haven't done anything about the seat. If you ride longer distances, you will have to do something about the seat.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/13/07 at 15:51:46

I thought the later models also had a gel seat.  Dunno if it's better than my old one or not.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 01/13/07 at 16:07:32

remember also that 2005-07 have went a 5 speed but different gearing so you have lot more acceleration,but less top end for highway cruising

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/13/07 at 16:10:00

Left side there is a switch that with just a push flicks the high beam. It says "Passing" but I use it when I am looking at a potential "Left Turn" situation with a cage, too. That or flip my Hi/Lo beam switch back & forth.
The seat on the 05 isn't as mean as some of the older ones I guess. I don't think it's too bad. Could be better, tho.
A later model used ride is what I would do if I had known then what I do now.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 01/13/07 at 20:10:44

"Get which ever one you can get the best deal on!" said the miser  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/13/07 at 22:44:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I thought the later models also had a gel seat.  Dunno if it's better than my old one or not.

I didn't think a gel seat was stock on any.  I thought it was only an available accessory.  I could be wrong though.  Anyway, it's the S40 gel seat that I put on my 98 but I now have to wonder about the Sportster seat since Henk has used both and sings the praises of the Sporty.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 01/13/07 at 23:44:37

I have an 06 S40, and the Gel-Seat is an option and not stock.  I wish it was, after 400 miles in one day you are glad to get off it.
It does have the flasher for the head light on the left side.  I was told also they improved the counter balance to reduce vibration even more.  The vibration on mine is not that bad at all.
The only mod I have done except for factory add ons, is a plate behind the license plate.  My license plate started to crack, so I cut a 1/4 inch piece of alluminum and drilled it to match the holes in the license plate, then mounted it behind the plate.  I just use the license plate as a template.  The crack was caused by the little vibration it does have, and stuff being thrown up from the back tire.  Works great.   Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 01/14/07 at 04:58:59

Any Savage after 1996.
1991 Introduction of 5 speed gearbox
1996 Beefed up starter gears with limiter

Other things at some years are either cosmetic or "improved"comfort.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

In Germany they prefer the 1986 and '87 frames as there is a difference in noise requirement .
In The Netherlands not.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 01/15/07 at 03:16:03

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Any Savage after 1996.
1991 Introduction of 5 speed gearbox
1996 Beefed up starter gears with limiter

Other things at some years are either cosmetic or "improved"comfort.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

In Germany they prefer the 1986 and '87 frames as there is a difference in noise requirement .
In The Netherlands not.

I've also noticed the different states in the U.S. have different regulations regarding lighting etc... according to year model. For instance, my state doesn't require DOT turn signals on anything before 2005. That means the little aftermarket signal lights should be legal. YMMV

http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/laws.asp

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:20:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What year Savage is best

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.